Bundeswehr Marine uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doomtown View Post
    Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I thought you guys might be interested in this coat that I bought recently. I bought it mostly out of curiousity and thought that if it wasn't too valuable or rare I might just wear it myself since it looks really warm! It has had the shoulderboards and buttons removed and replaced with civilian buttons and at some time a faux(?) fur lining was sewn into it. There are a few filterless "Gold Dollar" cigarettes in the the pockets too, haha. If I can take any further pics to help clear up this mystery please let me know.
    Isn't this a women's closure ?

Kees

Comment

Gents,

See below for a nice photo of a Bundesmarine Maat who was apparently assigned to the Lindau Class Minesweeper, Weilheim (Pennant Number M1077). Weilheim is a town in Oberbayern.

The Weilhelm served between 1958 and 1976 and is now preserved as a museum ship in Wilhelmshaven.

All the best,
      TJ
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is a picture of the vessel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindau-class_minesweeper
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm reviving this thread to show a '59-dated leather jacket that I just picked up (probably for a lot more than it's worth). It piqued my interest because it came equipped with brass belt ramps, the kind that were (first?) seen on those waist-length political and paramilitary shirts some decades earlier.

The jacket is shown partially covering a '65-dated unit, which is partially covering a '79-dated unit. Note the color variations.

The '59 jacket is size '50', while the other two are '174-100' and '166-100', respectively, so they were nominally made for the same chest size.

However, the '59 jacket has a noticeably trimmer cut, with a measured 42" (107 cm) waist from zipper to zipper, as opposed to 46" (117 cm) on the '65 jacket and a whopping 48" (122 cm) on the '79 unit. As a result, the '59 jacket does not make the wearer look like he is sporting an upside-down funnel; which the later jackets do.

In addition to the belt hooks, the '59 jacket differs from the others in having 4 vent holes in the shoulders and upper back, and a more rounded collar profile, though the latter could be due to manufacture variances.

The armpit vents, hanging loop, and inside pocket construction details are the same between the '59 and '65 jackets, but different on the '79, but none of these are visible when the jacket is worn.

I was hoping to revisit the photos of these jackets being worn in the early '60s, which were posted near the beginning of this thread, in order to see whether any belt was worn with the jacket, but those links are dead now, unfortunately.

Has anyone noticed any other variations?

Gene T

Comment

Gene,
            The photos I had linked were from the site for the Schulfregatte-Scheer
            http://schulfregattescheer-alben.magix.net/index_5.htm

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SprogCollector View Post
              Gene,
              The photos I had linked were from the site for the Schulfregatte-Scheer
              http://schulfregattescheer-alben.magix.net/index_5.htm
              This is precisely what I was looking for, Chris, thanks for posting the direct link! However, for whatever reason, their server would not connect me. Either they have very limited bandwidth, or I am blocked somehow?

I can only see some of these photos through Google's cached search results, but none would actually open for me when clicked on.

Comment

Spogcollector,

Great link. Thanks for posting it.

Gene T.

The links opened for me. They contain lots of photos and a written history of the ship.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

It's really strange, but I can see these pictures and the albums through other network connections (I am using the same laptop at an airport right now), just not with the AT&T Uverse connection I have at home. There is something incompatible in the network protocol, but no one can tell me how to check it or fix it...

In the first picture Chris posted, only the man in the middle seems to have belt ramps on his jacket. Either the other two men had the ramps removed, or the specifications no longer called for them by 1961.

It's also interesting that these leather suits were ubiquitous in the 59-61 album, but are not seen again in the later albums.

Thanks again!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X