No announcement yet.

The Bundeswehr M1 Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another nice detail ist the 1st model foreshaft of the G3 ... never seen one of these in real while the second model is still easy to find.

Jens

Comment

Thanks for your comments guys.
      Just one small addition : here you can see
      the U.v.D complaining about the noise the guys
      from Stube 54 are producing while having their "Stubenfest".

Of special note is the uniform of the U.v.D and the way he wears
      the liner with the chinstrap under the chin.

Enjoy !!

Regards

Bernhard
      Attached Files

Comment

And nice view of the field equipment up on top of the closets! Wonderful!

Steve

Comment

Bernhard,

Another great photo that tells a story and has great detail. Thank you!

The gentlemen in this pic has also elected to wear his M-1 liner, but unlike the U.v.D., the "Obi" has elected to go without his chin strap.

All the best,
          TJ
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is a field pic showing the M-1 helmet in use with the M-1 rifle.

If not for the gent with the M-43 style peaked hat, this group would easily pass for a group of American G.I.s.

The dangling chin straps are another distinctive G.I. trait...

All the best,
            TJ
            Attached Files

Comment

M1 Steelhelmet expertise

Hi Guys!

I recently found this helmet and since early Bundeswehr M1 type helmets is a very delicate matter I would ask for your help.
              The shell is painted OD. On the outside the paint is roughened. No markings on this Piece.
              The liner is painted in "schiefergrau" (slate-grey) and is marked BPB 56.

Is it a Bundeswehr issued helmet?
              Thank you for your comments/opinions

Cheer,
              Alex

Comment

Thank you for showing your helmet !

The liner you have is a fine example of a 1956 dated example made by
                Bebrit Pressstoffwerke Bebra and as such marked BPB.

The helmet shell looks to be of US manufacture.

Best regards

Bernhard

Comment

thank you for your quick reply, Bernhard!
                  So the Shell is definitely not a german product.. By looking all the Pictures you posted I had a half feeling on it...sadly it has been confirmed
                  At least the liner is genuine !!
                  So I guess I shall be still on hunt for a genuine shell...

Cheers,

Alex

Comment

Bernard,

Were U.S. made shells ever issued in the BW paired with German made liners?

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
                      Bernard,

Were U.S. made shells ever issued in the BW paired with German made liners?

Regards,

Gordon
                      Sorry to say that I have no information on this !
                      Even in the Baer book nothing is mentioned about this possibilty.

For the austrian Bundesheer we had a completely different situation,
                      in 1955 the US left a big stock of M1 helmets to equip the soon to be formed austrian armed forces.

Regards

Bernhard

Comment

Bernard,

Thanks.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

My blind guess is that some amount of US equipment was used by the BW early on, even if temporarily. They mobilized a lot of men very quickly and I doubt they could equip all of them with 100% German made everything. But of course I have no solid information on this. Because the helmet looks identical to a US helmet in period photographs, there's unfortunately no easy way to document this through pictures.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
                            My blind guess is that some amount of US equipment was used by the BW early on, even if temporarily. They mobilized a lot of men very quickly and I doubt they could equip all of them with 100% German made everything. But of course I have no solid information on this. Because the helmet looks identical to a US helmet in period photographs, there's unfortunately no easy way to document this through pictures.

Steve
                            I knew they used belgian stocks, didn't they?
                            Cheers,
                            Alex

Comment

comune1aclasse,

The use of Belgian M1 clone helmets by the BW is often mentioned but I haven't come across any documented proof of that. Anyone else have any documented proof of the use of Belgian M1 clones by the BW?

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

That's right Gordon! In every picture with Bw soldiers wearing a helmet that I was able to examine they all have the chin strap sewn directly to the rectangular ring which is welded to the shell.
                                The american M51 clip System (which has been copied by the belgians) is never seen.
                                I know american helmets usually have a marking in the interior at the level of the visor.... this one hasn't ...though the paint would match for an "ami"...

Do you know of american helmets without any markings?

Cheers,
                                Alex

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X