No announcement yet.

The Bundeswehr M1 Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah! I misunderstood. I though you were saying the yellow stenciled numbers looked American. Now I see what you mean about the helmet color. Unfortunately I do not know much about the M1 style helmet. That is a huge and complex topic. But I do know I'm impressed by the size of your helmet collection

Steve

Comment

My fellow collectors

Time to show you my latest aquisition for my BW helmet
      collection.
      These two NOS helmets shells were offered on eBay Germany
      with crappy pics but I took a chance...
      Here they are with only slight shelf wear , but interrestingly painted
      in two different shades of OD on the outside.
      But have a look !

Best regards

Bernhard
      Attached Files

Comment

more pics
        Attached Files

Comment

still some left..
          Attached Files

Comment

last..
            Attached Files

Comment

The different shades are due to the way the standardisation of colors was done in the 50ies... up until the early 70ies there was no definition of the light under which the tone of a color had to be defined. Do some mixed their RAL 6014 Gelboliv a little mor yellow, others a little more brown and the rest did it in the green way. Some look identical in sunlight, some under artificial light ... Then in the early 70ies it was defined that this definition had to be done under a physically defined light so until then RAL 6014 always is the same...and mostly more green then the older ones... If you need the cooorct paint go to www.militärlacke.de ... hes mixing the old stuff.

by the way .... nice catch ! Im really enviouse ... two of thes rare shells in one catch... Do you need helmet liners ?

Regards,

Jens

Comment

Danke Jens !

I did not know that ! Really interresting because both shells are made
                by Quist but they are of a different lot.
                Thanks for the offer , but I think I have one liner of each maker !!

Best regards ,

Bernhard

Comment

Bernhard,

Great looking shells. Like Jens I am envious!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Bernhard,

Nice catch!

Those shells are in wonderful shape. Thanks for sharing.

All the best,
                    TJ

Comment

Kameraden,

I just won this wonderful, atmospheric portrait of a young greni sporting an M1 helmet with camo net.

Note too the smoldering butt and ascot. The latter was probably made from a field bandage, aka "cravat".

All the best,
                      TJ
                      Attached Files

Comment

Congrats to this stunning portrait and thank you
                        very much for showing.

best regards

Bernhard

Comment

My fellow collectors ,

Just stumbled across a nice Bundeswehr album that I have had for quite
                          some time now.
                          I thought that you might be interrested in seeing this pic showing two
                          different helmet designs being worn at the same time.
                          The owner of the album served in the Versorgungsbataillon 186 between
                          1960/61.

Here are some different scans of the group shot.
                          You can see the two-piece M1 helmet and also the -then-new design of
                          the one piece "Schwedenhelm".
                          Very interresting the way the Soldat has placed the chinstrap over the fron visor of the helmet.

Regards

Bernhard
                          Attached Files

Comment

more
                            Attached Files

Comment

Bravo Bernhard! - What a unique and wonderful picture.

It captures perfectly the early transitional period between the Heeresstruktur One and Two field uniforms.

The soldier wearing the "Schwedenhelm" and the bemused smirk may be thinking how mad the Speiss would be to see him sporting his chin strap "TR style".

The padded material in the hood of the soldier pointing his Uzi at the camera seems out of place. I thought the brown padded liner came much later.

In any event, thanks for sharing this great photo containing such marvelous detail.

All the best,
                              TJ

Comment

Great picture! It's nice to see a the variety of uniforms and weaponry in one picture. 1960 was one year after the Splittertarn uniform was officially dropped, 3 years after the last piece was manufactured. You can already see the OD uniform pieces taking hold.

Good eye TJ! I spotted that too. It's the first model liner for the first model winter parka, first manufactured in 1959 or perhaps 1958. Around 1960 they switched to the fake fur liner. I imagine both were fairly commonly seen until 1963 or so.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X