No announcement yet.

BGS BundesGrenzSchutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gents - On the bottom right, an interesting example of the short-lived Land Hesse border guard patch.

Opinions?

Currently available on Manion's.

TJ
    Attached Files

Comment

Also on Manion's is this interesting variation of the standard BGS helmet.

Dispatch riders, parachutists?
      Attached Files

Comment

Front view.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian 5 View Post
          Gents - On the bottom right, an interesting example of the short-lived Land Hesse border guard patch. TJ

TJ

They both look good to me, although I'd prefer to see the background before I made definitive assesment.

Those LandPol patches are getting harder and harder to find.

Andrew

Comment

Rear view.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Huntzman View Post
              TJ

They both look good to me, although I'd prefer to see the background before I made definitive assesment.

Those LandPol patches are getting harder and harder to find.

Andrew
              Thanks!

Comment

BGS or earlier??

This German tunic was shown in the ww2 section and somebody said it might be BGS because it does not look like a WW2 German Army tunic.
                Somebody had fixed it up with fake SD insignia...

So is it West German (early BGS?) or Third Reich paramilitary?
                (it lacks the dark green edge piping which you would usually expect for WW2 Zollgrenzschutz...)
                Unfortunately no tailor tags or stamps anywhere...

More pictures here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...highlight=zoll
                Attached Files
                Last edited by NickG; 11-02-2008, 01:12 AM.

Comment

NickG,

Doesn't look like BGS to me. Material doesn't look correct nor the placement of the lower pockets in relation to the upper ones. Since there are no markings in it it will be hard to track down.

I've moved a photo of an early BGS uniform from a nother post on this thread to here for comparison purposes.

Regards,

Gordon
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                    This German tunic was shown in the ww2 section and somebody said it might be BGS because it does not look like a WW2 German Army tunic.
                    Nick

That is one ugly tunic. I can't recall seeing anything remotely similar. I can't even begin to fathom a guess as to what this was intended to be.

Look at the offset placement of the lower two pockets. That would probably be the best indicator of who used it. It is not anything I have seen in police use. At least the police agencies I am familiar with.

Andrew

Comment

Perhaps foreign made? or war time zoll?
                      I don't want to wander from the BGS theme but look here...
                      war time customs officials... looks similar...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by NickG; 11-02-2008, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Now shown with pinned on war time zoll insignia...
                        Of course it lacks the green edge piping for war time
                        zoll but they did not always have that...
                        Now it does not look that ugly anymore!!!

So if its not BGS...., not early West German, is it ReichsZoll
                        (Zoll grenzschutz)?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by NickG; 11-02-2008, 04:28 PM.

Comment

NickG,

Your tunic looks much better this way. Imposible to say if it is war time Zoll but it is a lot closer to that than BGS. If I were you I would check for maker marks on the backs of the buttons.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

If I were you I would check for maker marks on the backs of the buttons.
                            But that is no proof for a wartime tunic. There are a lot of early post war police tunics with pebbled buttons dated out of the 40´s. Are there any stamps inside?

Comment

The back of the buttons are standard Assmann marked: "Assmann & Sohne Ludenscheid" with the "A" mark and appear to be TR period based on the patina/color and pebble pattern, but that's not always waterproof...I agree!

No tailor tags no signs of removed tags...so most likely indeed a TR uniform of para military origin (not BGS) so it will be restored to Zoll as that's the closest I can come up with, even though the tunic lacks the zoll green edge piping on the buttoned front which was a standard feuture on most Zoll (customs)uniforms...
                              (not always done on field uniforms and this uniform is in course wool...)Nick

Comment

Found this on German website about Landrovers. There are some nice early 1950s photos that show the "Ike jackets" and wear of Sumpftarn jackets with graugrün trousers and Dienstmütze (something I had suspected was done but never confirmed). Also stills from 1950s BGS recruiting film reel "Fur Frieden und Freiheit".

http://www.tempo-landrover.de/D/bgs.html

Never seen these helmet covers before. Look solid-coloured (Tannengrün?):

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 34 users online. 0 members and 34 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X