BGS BundesGrenzSchutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
    To echo what TJ said... it's difficult to find all the right kit for a particular period of time. However, some of these items were likely kept in use for a very long time and therefore might be "correct" for multiple time periods.

Satcong101,

Some items don't have a date on them. Others have what looks to be a date, but in fact isn't. I don't know if your breadbag's date. I thought that particular type was more recent than 1963, but I could be mistaken.

The M43 and Schirmmützen are from the time period after 1976 for sure. The other bits are from the early 1960s but were used into the 1970s.

I'm suspicious that you have a Feuerwehr (Fire fighter) helmet that was painted up to look military. The vent hole clusters on the sides are what me think that. AFAIK these are never found on BGS/Polizei helmets, but are commonly (always?) found on Feuerwehr helmets.

Steve
    Thanks guys for the positive comments, sure is hard to find 'BGS' marked fieldgear.

@ Steve - Yes you are indeed right about it being a Feuerwehr Helmet, it sent alarm bells ringing for me when I recieved it recently but since it was painted in the correct RAL colour I wondered if it was either a Parade Shell or some sort of safety training Helmet??? If they were never issued in the BGS, I will have to keep a look out for a replacement to the collection and bin this one.

@ Steve & TJ - On a note about the Y-Straps. This is something I still need and saw a set on US ebay marked BGS/Bund issue and add a link but is this what I'm looking for with that style of back strap?

Thanks Simon.

Comment

Do you have a picture of the liner of the helmet?
      In the early days a lot of helmet kinds were converted with different liners for use in the BGS and/or police-services, I have a BGS green helmet with the same vents like yours, with a US-style liner and sweatband inside

Oh and the Ystraps could be found closer to the UK than from USA, these are quite common on Ebay.de, for small change
      Last edited by michelwijnand; 11-15-2011, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Great rig there TJ - looking to put that together myself. I have completed both 1960s/'70s and '70s/'80s ('Jaeger') BW equipment sets, with all unissued items which does make it harder and they're some of my favourite equipment sets in my collection.

Do you have a source (other than ebay.de) for the leather items pictured, unissued condition?

Comment

Be VERY careful about the black leather Y-straps being sold on eBay. They are often sold as "BGS" or "Luftwaffe" (which is wrong, of course), but are often from one or another Polizei force. Berlin and S-H seem to be the most common. Not that it really matters too much since I've got both BGS and Berlin Polizei straps and I don't think I saw any differences other than the stamps.

And yes, they are very easy to get a hold of on eBay.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve I'd noticed a lot being labelled as such. Did the Bundy issued Y-strap differ in anyway from these Polizei issued straps? (I not sure what was issued to the Bundeswehr during the 60's & 70's?).

Comment

Speaking about Y-Straps.......... Last year I picked up a set off of eBay for less than $10.00, including shipping. They were so lightly used that you had to look close to see that they had ever been worn. I gambled on them being BGS, and they were.

Dated and stamped: BGS 1962

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

You lucky man Mark, very nice!

Comment

The Berlin ones doesn't have the Spring Lock Hooks for the Ammo Pouches.
                  Just found some on the Weekend and take them to Kassel. Sadly I can't find my BGS ones as usually I sell them right on the Setup day to the Dealers. I think they're very similar to the old Luftwaffe and that's maybe the reason why they buy them.

Comment

Ah yes, the spring clips. I forgot about that detail Thanks Nico.

Bundeswehr only used cloth based Y-straps, though there are a few pictures of them using Austrian Bundesheer black leather straps.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
                      Ah yes, the spring clips. I forgot about that detail Thanks Nico.

Bundeswehr only used cloth based Y-straps, though there are a few pictures of them using Austrian Bundesheer black leather straps.

Steve
                      If I remember rightly aren't the Austrian Y-Straps the leather Wehrmacht looking type with the cloth padding section stitched in to pad the shoulders?

Comment

Originally posted by Satcong101 View Post
                        If I remember rightly aren't the Austrian Y-Straps the leather Wehrmacht looking type with the cloth padding section stitched in to pad the shoulders?
                        You're right!

Comment

It might be useful if someone can post pics for comparison of various West German leather Y-straps vs. East German and Austrian...

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianlives View Post
                            It might be useful if someone can post pics for comparison of various West German leather Y-straps vs. East German and Austrian...
                            Agreed, that would be very informative

Comment

Unfortunately haven't got any leather BW 'Y' straps, but here are some E German & Austrian ones, if somebody can post some W German ones:

214 by rjkg, on Flickr

215 by rjkg, on Flickr

211 by rjkg, on Flickr

210 by rjkg, on Flickr

The Austrian ones have the padding and the E German ones are slightly butchered !

Comment

Gents - Great thread!

I've got some time off this week. I'll try and locate my various leather Y-straps to make a photo comparison. Great idea!

All the best,
                                TJ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 43 users online. 0 members and 43 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X