BGS BundesGrenzSchutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch...........................

This is like one of those games were you pick out whats wrong with this picture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WEST-GERMAN-POLI...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Double Post

Comment

Like the Grenztruppen officer collar tabs and crappy "repro" BGS insignia. Original BGS patches are not that rare!

I saw that earlier when I was looking at ebay. It is "a real nice original item" according to the seller...

Comment

I think thats one of the new BGS patches that have been coming out of Eastern Europe. It's pretty sad when they are repro'ing BGS patches !!!

Sometimes I just shake my head and wonder what the hell they could possibly be thinking.

Original... yeah maybe Original BS

Comment

Originally posted by Asbjoern View Post
            Allways look twice when scrolling down a forum ... after reading the "achtung panzer" forum and other WW II related sub-fori for over a year I yesterday found out that there also is something to be read on postwar german equipment... .

O.K. here I am... .

While scanning this BGS thread I saw some pitures of the later type G1 magazin- pouches in black leather ... some years ago I managed to find one EA of the earlier type :

It is made the same way as the following pouch for SMG mags (It was said that they are for the Walther MP magazins):

And - at last for the first post - the black leather pouch for the MG 1 Zubehör, dating to the late 60ies (they are the same until the 90ies):

Jens
            Jens - With the purchase of the G43 style ammo pouches for the G1 rifle, you may have hit the Holy Grail of BGS collecting!

Dude, those are rarer than hen's teeth!

At least you can buy a Knight's Cross if you have the money, try finding a set of canvas BGS G1 pouches!? The overwhelming majority of militaria dealers won't even know what you're talking about...

Congratulations on a great find. Put them in a safe!

TJ

Comment

Jens - A picture of those rare G-1 pouches in use.

TJ
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian 5 View Post
                Jens - A picture of those rare G-1 pouches in use.

TJ

Thanks for reply TJ ! That these pouches are quite rare even here in germany I already noticed as I didn`t manage to get a second one during the last years... but that they are a kind of holy grale I didn`t know!!

So I should put them to a more prominent place in my collection...

Regards,

Jens
                Last edited by Asbjoern; 09-29-2008, 01:55 AM.

Comment

BGS/BW "Coconut" variation

Team - I recently received this BGS/BW "kokonus" style field flask (on the left). It's by Heinrich Ritter of Essinglen (H.R.E.).

The cup and flask are marked "H.R.E. 59", the flask cap, "H.R.E. 60".

All of the field flasks of this size that I've encountered before have been coated with an oliv grun enamel. like the example on the right. This one has been left in a pleasing chesnut finish. Also note the black leather straps.

More photos to follow.

TJ
                  Attached Files

Comment

Rear view.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here is my new field flask shown with the larger sized BGS model.
                      Attached Files

Comment

A rear view.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here the new field flask is positioned next to a Wehrmacht Kokonus and the oliv BW model.

DAK collectors beware of coconut bodies with the date on the body conveniently rubbed away....
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr.; 09-28-2008, 06:34 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

A rear view.

Take care - TJ
                            Attached Files

Comment

TJ:
                              That is the BW model. I am only aware of BGS using your version like shown on right. I had assumed (it appears incorrectly) that the ones without finish on pressed wood were early pattern (ca. 1955/6-1958) and the ones with it were late pattern (ca. 1958-1960). Apparently there must not be much of a sequence. Interesting to note that straps are riveted on former and sewn on latter.

My BW "Kokonuß" canteen is coated in composite material and also marked HRE 59 on flask and body but HRE 60 on cap. Odd to find two marked like that...

regards
                              Klaus

Comment

Klaus - Good to hear from you. I'm sure you're well on your way to earning "magna cum lager" honors at university.

Just to clarify, the information you provided is that the BW coconut is the one without the green enamel paint.

I picked up on the contruction differences as well (sewing vs. riveting). It's amazing the variation you'd find from the same company during a presumably small production run.

Thanks for the info - TJ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 16 users online. 0 members and 16 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X