MilitariaRelicts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the Bundeswehr lover in all of us...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your response. Makes good sense to me. Always interesting to have something a little different from an everyday item.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Mark,
      It is perfekt!

Comment

As someone else said earlier, I think we should request a Bundesrepublik Deutschland subforum. All other periods of modern Germany have their own (except Weimar Republik), including DDR and Kaiserreich and there seems to be sufficient interest in BRD. Would more organized than having it in one thread here.

Klaus

Comment

Klaus1989,

There has already been a request submitted to start a BDR Forum on the WAF. There was a thread started on the International forum asking people to indicate their interest in have such a thread. While we have had lots of visitors to the "Bundeswehr Lovers" thread we haven't had many people indicating their support for a BDR thread. If you haven't visited this thread yet and indicated that you would support a BDR Forum please do so soonest.
          Another way of indicating interest in a BDR Forum would be to start separate threads instead of putting everything in this one place. The more threads dealing with the BDR that we have on the International Forum the more likely we are to get our own BDR Forum.

Cheers,

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Kurt View Post
            Two BW dress caps from the late sixties. The darker one has been wearer modified; I'm not sure why insignia is bronze and the other silver - junior enlisted, NCO distinction?
            Hi,
            This is veri simpel
            Bronze= 1. Modell 1955-1961
            Silver= 2. Modell 1961-?

1955-1951 (Sorry in German) Mützenabzeichen und Knöpfe sind Bronzfarbent.
            1961-? umstellung auf Silberne Mützenabzeichen und Knöpfe.
            Danke!

Comment

Canvas Leggings with 1956 Battle Dress

Originally posted by gordon.criag View Post
              Lats, but not least, the canvas and leather gaiters in wear, again in the Bundesluftwaffe, and the photo is dated 1970.
              And thanks for the question. It caused me to take a closer look at foot wear in the BW.

Regards,

Gordon
              Gents - Another view of the canvas leggings, this time worn with the 1956 pattern splinter camo battle dress.

Anyone know what that white onlong object is dangling from the greni's pocket?

Thanks - G5

Comment

Picture

Picture referred to in previous post.
                Attached Files

Comment

G5,

I blew up that part of the foto and it looks like a pair of plastic tags on a metal hook arrangement. These tunics have two brass D rings on them. One above each breast pocket. I suspect that these "tags" are clipped onto the D ring on the left side of the jacket. As to what the purpose of these "tags" are I do not have a clue.

Regards,

Gordon
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thoughts on the D-Ring?

Gordon - Any thoughts on the purpose of the d-rings themselves (aside from hanging unidentified white tags)?

My vote is for flashlights or maybe smoke grenades.

Thanks - TJ
                    Attached Files

Comment

TJ,

I've pondered that question for years without coming up with any sort of an answer. I don't beleive I have seen any other picture, except the tag one, where they were ever used. The guys that wore the jackets probably did not know what they were supposed to be for.

Cheers,

Gordon

Comment

Complete BW gasmask can set. I bought this for only $12! All straps intact and it came complete with green rubberized gasmask, unissued filter, spare lenses and spring to hold gasmask down. Number is written on bottom in blue pencil. I think these were used from late 1950s to mid 1960s

Markings on the spare lense case on inside lid.

Klaus

Comment

Originally posted by gordon.criag View Post
                          TJ,

I've pondered that question for years without coming up with any sort of an answer. I don't beleive I have seen any other picture, except the tag one, where they were ever used. The guys that wore the jackets probably did not know what they were supposed to be for.

Cheers,

Gordon
                          The Swiss Kampfanzug 70, which evolved from trial models that came into existence in the mid 50's, was likely inspired (at least in part) by the contemporary German equivalent. Given that the rings on the Swiss jacket/smock are used to clip on a small backpack, would it be inconceivable that the rings on the BW model were designed for the same purpose? Granted this theory cannot be proven without some evidence that such a backpack existed, but perhaps the intent was there originally, even if it wasn't followed up on in practice for whatever reason?

Gene T

Comment

Gene T,

Do you have pictures that you could post of the Swiss back pack you refered to in wear? Preferably showing how it was attached to the D rings. I have trouble visualizing a back pack attached to D rings on the chest of the wearer. It is as good a theory as any other right now and the Swiss were heavily influenced after the war by German equipment, uniforms etc.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Sorry Gordon, I just assumed that you had a set of these in your collection, as they have been widely available as surplus since the early 90's:

The coat

+

The pack

=

Potentially what the Germans had in mind originally

cheers,
                              Gene T

Comment

Gene T,

Thanks for the pics of the Swiss stuff. There was lots of helmet covers and rain capes for sale in my area but not much else. I'll have to add that to my Swiss collection and soon I hope although there is none of that stuff available here in Budapest.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X