Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Greg,

Nice pick up there i love it, The DFC is my best
    The German Luftwaffe Pilot and Combined Pilot and Observer Badges of WWII 1933-1945
    Volume I & Volume II

sigpic

Now Available
    www.luftwaffepilotbook@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Seb!!
      I agree, love the DFC!!

Comment

[ATTACH]2069239[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2069240[/ATTACH]

Comment

Thanks again to Jon for the Gazette! Thought I'd post it!
          The London Gazette 10.11.1944 - Flt. Lt. JF Strange DFC 004.jpg

Comment

Hi guys!!
            Thanks to Marcus Hatton!! He put me in touch with folks to gain asistance in learning more about Flt Lt Strange & 77 Squadron. I have been corresponding with a terrific fellow who served with 77 Squadron & provided the following information & photo of his crew!

Once again I want to really thank Marcus for the info, Marcus, you're the best

I hope it's OK to post this info & isn't a bit boring.

"Sorry for the long delay in replying but I put your email aside for further investigation. I joined the squadron in Feb 1944 so Jack Strange and I were contempories, although I do not remember him. I was an NCO at the time so we would have been in different messes, we would only have met socially when crews got together in a pub. By the time I was commissioned he would have just been departing."

He originally appears to have enlisted for training as an Observer (i.e. at 2 AOS in Canada) . However with the introduction of revised crewing for the Lancaster, Halifax and Stirling in 1942 Observers were 'remustered' as either Navigator or Bomb Aimer. Jack became a Navigator.

For somebody who joined 77 Squadron in May 1943 he seems to have taken rather a long time to complete his tour, which was not until August 1944. The normal time to complete a tour during the latter part of 1943 was generally nearer to 3-5 months, and of course due to the high casualty rate at this time the probability of doing so was no better than 25%. This would indicate that during the period some of the crew may have sustained injury, at least something out of the ordinary run of things must have happened.

In May 1943 Jack joined the squadron in the crew of F/Sgt Tony C.Wickham-Jones RAFVR, Tony appears to have been commissioned around March-April 1944, once again a rather long time after going on ops, most pilots were commissioned within 2-3 months. Jack stayed with this crew until the end of his tour in August 1944, but the composition seems to have varied a bit

The crew was listed for a raid against Frankfurt on 20th December 1943 as follows :-

Pilot F/Sgt T C Wickham-Jones RAFVR

Nav F/O J Strange RCAF

B/A F/O D H McIntyre RCAF

WOp Sgt R Atkinson RAFVR

F/E Sgt A G Holman(? Holmes) RAFVR

MuG Sgt D T Brady RAFVR

RG Sgt R Dale

However later in 1944 the B/A is given as F/O C M SIngleton RCAF, and the MuG as Sgt S G Dart RAFVR.

The attached picture, which somebody has annotated with names, was probably take around April or May 1944.
            In later years, the nineties, the WOp, Bob Atkinson, used to come to an annual reunion luncheon which I organised at a hotel for 77 Halifax veterans living in the SE of England. However sadly he died over ten years ago.

Tony Wickham-Jones was awarded a DFC as Thomas Anthony Wickham- Jones, gazetted on the 17th November 1944, an obviously end of tour award. As was also Chalmers Melbourne Singleton and John Fraser Strangs(e?) but the latter on 14 Nov. However the services of Sgts. Atkinson, Holmes, Dart, Brady and Dale do not appear to have received any recognition. Rather typical of the RAF attitude towards medals. I note that it was over ten years before Jack Strange actually received his DECK. "

Wickham-Jones%20crew.jpg

Comment

Very nice DFC group. The photos are also a great bonus.

The spelling of his surname in the LG is interesting.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Swan View Post
                Very nice DFC group. The photos are also a great bonus.

The spelling of his surname in the LG is interesting.

Mike
                Thanks Mike!
                Corresponding with him has been a true pleasure! He's a true gentleman & going strong in his 90's!

Comment

Outstanding grouping Greg. Very cool you are able to correspond with one who was there!

Comment

Thanks Gary! Yes I view chatting with him as a gift!

Question guys?? Would Flt Lt Strange have worn an RCAF or RAF N wings?
                    Thanks!!

Comment

Greg,

He could have worn either, but I'd put my money on RCAF judging by his colleague in the front row.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Swan View Post
                        Greg,

He could have worn either, but I'd put my money on RCAF judging by his colleague in the front row.

Mike
                        Cool Mike!
                        Thanks!!!

Comment

Greg,

After looking at the group photo again, I now believe Jack's wearing an "O" wing. This would be in keeping with him attending an observers course.

I understand aircrew who earned the "O" wing before a certain date were allowed to keep them rather than applying the new "N" wing. I'm sure more knowledgeable members will elaborate.

Mike

Comment

Definitly an 'O' wing.
                            Pete

Comment

Thanks guys! I had no idea....really appreciate all of the terrific help!!
                              Have a great week!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X