Comment

[ATTACH]2043139[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2043140[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]2043141[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2043142[/ATTACH]

Comment

Hi guys,
            Well I returned the previous D.F.C. group with "boots" engraving after a great deal of thought and very wise counsel from several of you...thanks!

I have received the below fun D.F.C. group for Flt. Lt. JF Strange DFC, RCAF.

John Fraser Strange was born in 1917 in Winnipeg and enlisted on 20th March 1940, he trained at No.2 ITS, No.2 AOS, No.8 BGS and No.1 CNS being commissioned in 1942 he was in 77th Squadron. DFC-L.G. 14/11/1944. His citation reads: “Completed numerous operations against the enemy in the course of which invariably display the utmost fortitude, courage and devotion to duty”. Public Records Office Air 2 has recommendation dated 17 August 1944when he had flown 33 sorties, 7 May 1943 to August 1944.

This D.F.C was sent to him in 1954 with below letter. As you can see on the issue box, it reads, "copy" along with his name/address. So I guess he either never received the 1st or this was a replacement?

I don't have a copy of when/if the award was published in the Gazette, nor have I found out any details as his aircrew position, so help from his flight training if you can assist? Haven't learned much yet about 77 Squadron.

The qroup also includes a very tattered copy of a target map of Friedrichstrasse Main Line & Underground Stations, Berlin, Germany.

I have closer photos if you'd like to see any of them.

I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with this D.F.C. group. So all thoughts/comments appreciated!

Thanks!!
            D.F.C. Group Lt. JF Strange RCAF 013.jpg

D.F.C. Group Lt. JF Strange RCAF 017.jpg

Comment

Hi Greg,

Did you get the info you wanted about the Gazette entry? If not, here's the info.

I couldn't find anyone by that name in "The DFC & How it was Won" (Carter & Carter), but there is reference to you man with a mis-spelt surname (spelt "Strangs").

His Gazette entry was 15 Nov 44, page 5209 (PM me your email address if you want a PDF copy and I'll send it to you).

I know that quite a lot of WW1 awards with incorrectly spelt names were corrected by amendment in later issues of the Gazette. I can't find one for your man, but I'm not very clued-up on WW2 Gazette entries, so I don't know if they still corrected them then.

Cheers,

Jon

Comment

Hi Jon!!
                Really appreciate it!
                PM on the way!!

Comment

Thanks for the Gazette info Jon!
                  You're the best!!
                  Now I just have to keep hunting his position in the aircrew!

Comment

Thats a top complete set , congratulations . Rob
                    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Well he went to #1 CNS so my guess he was a Navigator perhaps?

Comment

Funny the medal is not marked as a 'COPY' so I wonder why it would say so on the box.

The delay in getting the medal might be because he served in the RAF sqd not an RCAF sqd could take quite a while for the medal to go through 'channels'. This was not unusual fully 1/4 of the RAF crews where Canadians, the RAF is still touchy on the subject though.

The 77th flew Halifaxes during his time there couldn't find any thing much else on him.

Lovely group

Comment

Thanks guys!
                          I've read many books regarding RAF/RCAF and in a few instances the fellows mentioned their medals/awards (DFC etc) we mailed to them long afterward the end of the war for some reason. But in this case I have no clue why?
                          Appreciate it!!
                          Greg

Comment

The Devil in in the details.

The 1955 letter is addressed to St. Boniface Sanitarium

Most likely a terminal Tuberculous case.

Might be quite the sad story there

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
                              The Devil in in the details.

The 1955 letter is addressed to St. Boniface Sanitarium

Most likely a terminal Tuberculous case.

Might be quite the sad story there
                              Oh no! How so very sad!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X