LRDG side cap and badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

name

And the soldier,number equates to the Rifle Brigade,but then you hit the brick wall,if anyone else can help then that would be great
    Regards,Ivan.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Ivan,
      Firstly I would just like to mention that I was in a bit of rush when I made my last comments. Where I have mentioned "Guardsman," I should have included "Yeomanry" as well.

Thankyou for taking the trouble of removing the badge. (It is indeed a cast badge)
      The detail to the back of the badge concerns me. I have seen many Egyptian cast badges, but none with such heavy file marks.
      The book "The Kiwi Scorpions" by Brendon O’Carroll shows the reverse of an original early cast LRDG badge on page 202.
      Unfortunately it shows very different details compared to your badge.

I am no expert when it comes to these badges and only have one in my collection, which came from Craig Hooper, who inturn had got it from Paul Farmer. (Two of the top three New Zealand LRDG badge experts)

E-mail me the photos you have posted and I will forward them onto Craig for his expert evaluation.
      I will also bounce you back a scan of the photo in Brendons book.
      brentn@osoal.org.nz

Brent

Comment

Heres the link for photos of my LRDG badge, it contains some good information on LRDG badges.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=163686

Comment

Hi Ivan, I surely do hope that your cap and badge are all original. With such pieces it is often the history and provenance that makes all the difference. There is some great information posted about this badge in this and past threads. Regards, Clive.

Comment

Ivan, just had a reply from Craig

"Hi Brent

Sorry for delay, been tied up at work, just catching up on emails today

I would take a punt on this badge, seems like a good one. I have a known genuine one very similar but a bit rougher than this one. Geoff Oldham got it in a few years back amongst a veterans stuff, nobody else liked it as it was so poorly made and worn.

This one you sent pics of seems good to me

Craig"

Comment

R

Result !!!!!!!

Comment

congrats matey rgds Dave

Comment

Great Stuff

Thanks for the effort Brent,I really appreciate it. That means that this is a real keeper. Dave,Gary....cheers lads.
                  What a shame we cannot do more re the service record of Mr. Newton.
                  Regards,Ivan.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X