No2 Commando

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yellow View Post
    Ive got no problems with the insignia being genuine but that is not where the value resides in this lot.

Let us now see the list of promotions and units posted in the book. Thats the difference between a dud and pure quality.

What happened to the knife?

There are also a fair few items missing from this lot, for example the certificate each commando was presented with at the end of the war. Thats probably worth as much as any single item your showing.

This is it!!! As listed above apart from the knife which I should get tomorrow. No other docs.

Few entries in the service book as this is a certified true copy (Nov '43). Just contains personal details, enlistment date, leave dates from 11/43 - 6/45, and total days of overseas service (from 11/43 = 208 days, + 25 day's A & S Group). Promoted L/Cpl 12/12/44 and Cpl 3/3/45.

Pay dates cover 16/2/45 - 21/9/45, imprest number of unit 10119.

Might be a 'dud' to some, but a small reminder of a brave man none-the-less.

Anyone have an idea what the gold and pink badge is? Would like to know approximate value of the group.....a little more than the £15.00 offered hopefully.
    Attached Files

Comment

Probably tossed away, not to worry.

I`m still torn regarding the paybook. Just as with the Solbuch posts on this forum, I just cant tell from that one pic.

I did not mean 'dud' as to disrespect the man, I mean dud as in a fake paybook with added entries.

Regiment appears to be the Duke of Wellingtons, Regular Army. I think the naval insignia is merchant navy.

Comment

I did not mean 'dud' as to disrespect the man, I mean dud as in a fake paybook with added entries.

I think people knew what you meant mate, and I for one totally agree. Would there be a way of verifying the mans service via his service number? The guy's name is William Biorn S/No 6478358, DOB 18/1/1911. There is something written in the Regiment or Corps section on the front page of the Pay Book, but it is very worn and hard to distinguish. However, it definately doesn't look like D.O.W.

If we totally disgard the paybook side of things, how much am I looking at for the insignia group alone.

Comment

The Duke of Wellingtons had commandos just as any other regiment, that doesnt mean he wasnt an SS man. The regimental number is confusing are you sure you have read that correctly as it doesnt fit with any unit, see for yourself here:

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/mm/...ce_numbers.htm

It certainly fits with the middle of the London regiments.

I like the the yellow stitched commando flashes the best. The 2 Commando printed I think are worth about 25 pounds each. As a matched cut pair you might get more.

Can you post a pic of page 4 of the paybook?

Hope you get the knife, if its got a gold plated handle and its the knife I think it is, its worth getting.

Comment

The Duke of Wellingtons had commandos just as any other regiment, that doesnt mean he wasnt an SS man. The regimental number is confusing are you sure you have read that correctly as it doesnt fit with any unit, see for yourself here:

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/mm/...ce_numbers.htm

It certainly fits with the middle of the London regiments.

I like the the yellow stitched commando flashes the best. The 2 Commando printed I think are worth about 25 pounds each. As a matched cut pair you might get more.

Can you post a pic of page 4 of the paybook?

Hope you get the knife, if its got a gold plated handle and its the knife I think it is, its worth getting.
            Thank's mate. The knife is the type with the gold handle. It has a brown(?) effect etched blade. One side has the combined ops badge, a motto, the words "The Army Commandos 1940 - 45" with a commando flash and dagger badge at the bottom. The other side has 2 crossed keys with makers name (J Nowill), some writing , a VC and Commando rope toggle at the bottom. Is this the one you mean? What is the story behind such a knife? Is it a modern commemmorative repro?

Also, how much are the stitched commando flashes worth?

Many thanks to all who have helped so far. Once I find out the value of the set, it will be available for sale. The knife I should be able to take pics of tomorrow. Will post pics of page 4 later today.

G

Comment

The DOW entry is nothing to do with his unit, its for "duration of war" so relates to his terms of service - basically hostilities only - it was more often written as duration of emergency as this was felt to give the Army a hold on the men - accoriding to one book I have read they were worried that men with Duration of War would look to just up and go when the war ended.

I must admit as a Paybook collector I would be very keen on this group, but have the worry that other have in that in most cases Commando (and often airborne) paybooks have no entries to prove the unit, so its a risk unless their is other paperwork or reference material to prove the link.

Cheers

Alistair

Comment

Sorry I was wrong about DOW. To be honest Ive never seen a foreign nationals paybook before. The books I have dont have an annotation next to that section. However what I am not so sure about is the fact that you say that the paybook presents no proof of service with the commandos. The dates of the overseas service as listed in the paybook may well correspond with 2 Commandos movements during the war so yet more potential evidence. Just as this seller has marketed it here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2nd-WW-Command...QQcmdZViewItem

The knife is worth having as I said in my earlier post. Play on the fact its modern when buying it, trust me they dont blue the blades of any old knife these days. When you have it I can PM you with the latest auction price achieved.
                Last edited by yellow; 12-08-2007, 12:38 PM.

Comment

If you read back I dont think this guy was a foreign national, the description is of "Norwegian descent" rather than being a Norwegian national.

A&S group is nothing to do with the Commandos (in spite of the ebay listing) its age & service group - after the war every soldier was given an A&S group based on his length of service and where he had served - these groups were then used to decide which order soldiers were demobilised in - basically the longer you had been in and more you had been overseas the sooner you got out.

The service overseas bit doesnt actually give dates - it just states that after a certain date he had 208 days overseas - their doesnt seem to be a way to tie that back to a unit, and even though it says after 11/43 the overseas servce may not have started til a lot later.

Alistair

Comment

commando

Hi All,

Well, this is actually becoming quite interesting.

I've looked at the front page of the service book again, at the section 'Regiment or Corps', and although it is very dirty and faded, I think it says either "E Fus" or "R Fus", if that helps or makes sense. The service number is definately 6478358. Will post more pics of the paperwork tomorrow and also pics of the knife.

G

Comment

Hi,
                      The service number falls in the Royal Fusiliers block, and ties in with a London enlistment, this would be his unit on enlistment.

Cheers

Alistair

Comment

2 commando

More pics of the paperwork.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Pic 2
                          Attached Files

Comment

pic 3
                            Attached Files

Comment

pic 4
                              Attached Files

Comment

pic5
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X