No announcement yet.

No2 Commando

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread seems to be going deeper and deeper into specualtion.
    OK, maybe not all foreigners went into 10 Commando, but it is the more likely than into 2 Commando.

His number fits in exactly with the Royal Fusiliers block.

Yes RM and Army Commandos were brigaded together but they were still very seperate in terms of admin.

Teh example you quote of L/Cpl Gee is a total red herring, the sellers mention of 41 Commando comes about from his ignorance of how to read the entries in a paybook, L/Cpl Gee was never in 41 Commando - as explained earlier the A&S group is to do with demob - the fact in this instance it was 41C has led the seller to jump to a conclusion.

Alistair

Comment

No offence Allistar but I would like to see some proof to your statements.......if those words were coming out of the mouth of Richard Holmes then I wouldnt question the man but how do you know admin was not undertaken at Brigade level?

If you like I can show you a group photo of 3 Commando which includes a Navy Commando Officer in the mix.

Find another T. S. Ballard then I think Graham is more likely to believe you.

Also I really would like to know what you would consider as proof to this man being a commando? Ive seen those letters from the Association (no dis-repsect intended to them) with medal groups and collectors take them with a pinch of salt when it comes down to un-named WW2 medals.

Steve.
      Last edited by yellow; 12-10-2007, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Heres a few Army officers.........please note their units.

John Oldroyd Fofar Parent unit Royal Army Medical Corps, 47 Royal Marine Commando - Won the MC

James Thomas Nuttal - Parent Regiment the Devons - 48 Royal Marine Commando - MC

Comment

I think I will give up on this thread as its going nowhere at the moment, as said before good luck Graham in finding some solid facts to go with the lot, if you can get something that backs up the story the lot will make you a good bit of dosh, just give a couple of thoughts on leaving

Ballard became a 2nd Lt in June 45, so why was he signing paybooks in February 45? I believe this to be a job for Officers

Paybooks were filled in at unit level, I cant provide you with proof - maybe you could write Mr Holmes a nice letter asking his opinion.

Proof (for me at least) of him being a commando, would be something Iike a discharge cert giving his unit as Commando (as in the example you posted earlier), letters addressed to him as a commando, leave passes etc with unit stamps, reference to him in a commando book, as you mention an original obituary mentioning wartime service - so would recommend Graham follows up your suggestion.

I would agree about a veteran association letter with unnamed medals, but with a named paybook I would consider it a very good sign, not sure what the Commando association records are like as I was basing the suggestion on the Arnhem Veteran Club which holds very good lists of those who fought at Arnhem - I would assume the Commando organisation would have some way of checking up potential members

As for the Army Officers in RM units, if you read Durnford Slaters book about 3 Commando he does mention Army Commando officers going to the RM Commandos to help train them up.

Alistair

Comment

The extract from the document posted shows promotion from Temp 2nd Lt to Temp Lt.

Your right about one thing, this thread isnt going any where.

Steve.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X