Canadian Medals - "Modern" Versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greeves
    Since that time he has gained the SSM w/NATO clasp, the Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal, and the Canadian Korea Medal - he says he feels a bit like a Russian General at times...
    It's nice to know the Vets are finally being recognized for past achievements ... even this late in the game

Comment

One more interesting tid-bit about the Canadian Forces Decoration; it has been awarded to every Governor General of Canada ever since Vincent Massey upon taking office. The reason why they started with Massey because he was the first Governor General that was born inside of Canada. Source: http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub...nu/group11/cfd

Comment

CD post-nominals?

One thing I have never asked before, why the post-nominals for a long service medal? I can't see any parallel with any other commonwealth country or the Brit system, so I'm interested as to why is it so.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

Originally posted by Aave Johns
          One thing I have never asked before, why the post-nominals for a long service medal? I can't see any parallel with any other commonwealth country or the Brit system, so I'm interested as to why is it so.

Regards;

Johnsy
          Hi Johnsy - you know that's a very good question - I've never really considered it myself. However there are some parallels with the Territorial Force Decorations and the Efficiency Medals (TD, VD, EM etc). I guess because the CD replaced all of these - as well as the LSGC which gave no post-nominals to the recipient - the powers that be decided to include post-nominals in the deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Greeves
            Hi Johnsy - you know that's a very good question - I've never really considered it myself. However there are some parallels with the Territorial Force Decorations and the Efficiency Medals (TD, VD, EM etc). I guess because the CD replaced all of these - as well as the LSGC which gave no post-nominals to the recipient - the powers that be decided to include post-nominals in the deal?
            Ahh..yes of course. I was forgetting the older LS/Efficiency medals. Our own Defence Long Service Medal replaced all others, and many of them had post-nominals. That would be the reason behind it. Now I feel ripped off that our Government didn't do the same, after all 15 years of your life is a fair chunk.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

3. Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal.

The Peacekeeping Service Medal was established in part so Canadian Peacekeepers would receive an award from Canada, besides the service medals from the United Nations, NATO and others that they would usually receive. The medal was established to acknowledge the award of the 1988 Nobel Peace Prize to all UN peacekeepers. The plan was temporarily shelved due to some concern voiced by the Department of National Defence. They were concerned that in most cases two medals would be awarded for all UN operations, which was contrary to the Canadian honours policy.

In late 1996 a private members Bill was introduced into the House of Commons. Parliament subsequently passed an act sanctioning the creation of the medal, making it the only medal in the Canadian honours system that was established through an act of Parliament.

This medal is awarded for 30 days service, roughly 1/3 as long as most UN Peacekeeping service medal requirements.

Those who had previously not qualified for a UN Medal or the Special Service Medal with the "Peace" bar, thus became eligible for the new medal.

Civilians can also be awarded this medal, although it is primarily awarded to members of the Canadian Forces.

Approximately 69,543 medals have been awarded to date. A total of 125,000 personnel are eligible, and the number grows each year.

Obverse:
              Attached Files

Comment

Reverse,.
                Attached Files

Comment

4. Canadian Centennial Medal 1967

The Centennial Medal finds its origins in the 1947 Independence Medals issued in India and Pakistan. Both of these countries inaugurated the tradition of striking commemorative medals on important national occasions not directly associated with the Sovereign.

+ Awarded to Canadian citizens who were deemed to have made a significant contribution to their community, province or the country as a whole.

+ The Obverse bears a maple leaf superimposed with a Royal cypher, circumscibed with "Confederation Canada Confederation". The reverse depicts the Royal Arms of Canada with the dates "1867-1967" in the base.

+ The Medal was struck from sterling silver from the Royal Canadian Mint. Issued Un-named, although those personally presented by the governor general and those awarded to Government House staff members were officially impressed in block capitals with the person's full name. The medal was designed by Bruce Beatty.

+ Several Gold Plated specimens exist which were originally to be awarded to the Expo 67 commissioners, although there is no evidence that the awards were ever presented.

+ In the mid- 1990's, the Canadian Chancellery ran out of the original issue of the Centennial Medal struck by the Royal Canadian Mint. The contract to strike replacement issues was awarded to Henry Birks & Sons. The Birks issues, although struck in sterling silver, are distinguishable from the mint's original striking because they are slightly thinner and the upper bar on the reverse of the suspender is marked, in raised letters, "Birks Sterling".

+ 29, 500 were awarded.

Obverse:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Closeup of Obverse:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Reverse:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Closeup of Reverse:
                        Attached Files

Comment

5. Canadian Police Exemplary Service Medal

Background:

The Police Exemplary Service Medal, created on August 12, 1983, recognizes police officers who have served in an exemplary manner, characterized by good conduct, industry and efficiency. Recipients must have completed 20 years of full-time service with one or more recognized Canadian police forces. Full-time police cadets in training also qualify for the award. Consideration is given only to periods of service for which no other national long service, good conduct or efficiency decoration has been awarded.

Members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and Canadian Forces are ineligible. However, full-time exemplary service of former members of the RCMP and Military Police of the Canadian Forces may qualify where that service has not been recognized by award of the RCMP Long Service and Good Conduct Medal or the Canadian Forces Decoration, respectively. The Medal may be awarded posthumously.

Description: a circular medal:

on the obverse of which are the Scales of Justice, superimposed on a stylized maple leaf, and circumscribed with EXEMPLARY SERVICE . SERVICES DISTINGUÉS, and
                          on the reverse of which is the Royal Cipher
                          the Medal is suspended from a ribbon of five equal stripes, two gold and three blue; a Bar, bearing a stylized maple leaf, may be awarded to a recipient of the Medal for each additional 10-year period of full-time service with one or more Canadian police forces.

Comment

a. Carton for the Case. With Name and 1 bar designation on the lid:
                            Attached Files

Comment

b. Carton for Case Bottom:
                              Attached Files

Comment

c. Inside of Carton for Case Lid with the Rideau Stamp:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X