Canadian Medals - "Modern" Versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Medals - "Modern" Versions

While many Modern (i.e. circa 1970's and up) medals are now made with that "lovely" Rhodium Plating, they are still a part of history and the Canadian Honours System.

The following couple are the first of these "Modern" types I have collected so far. Many more to come I hope.

1. Canadian Special Service Medal (c/w NATO+OTAN Clasp):

Background:

+ Originally instituted in 1984.

+ The original regulations indicated that each medal was to be named, and this remained in place until the regulations were changed in 1992 - however, no medal was ever officially named.

+ The medal was "revived" in 1991, around the same time as the Korea Volunteer Service Medal and the Gulf and Kuwait Medals were being developed.

+ As of 2005, seven bars have been authorized, although one (Jugoslavija) was revolked and never issued. The medal can be awarded Posthumously.

+ Awarded for a Special Service in a specific theatre; the criteria vary according to the bar. The medal is never issued without a bar.

In this example the following Criteria for the NATO+OTAN bar:

+ The recipient must have served 180 days of honourable service within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization's area of responsibility, defined as the territory of any of the parties in Europe or North America, the Algerian departments of France, or the territory of Turkey or the islands under the jurisdiction of any of the parties in the North Atlantic north of the Tropic of Cancer.

+ A person must have been under NATO command for 180 days to qualify for this bar.

+ The award is also given to those serving within forces deployed on vessels or aircraft of any of the parties, when in or over these territories or any other areas of Europe in which occupation forces of any parties were stationed, or the Mediterranean Sea or the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer, since NATO's establishment on 01 January 1951.

+ The bar was first created in 1992, and the criteria was revised in 1995.

Obverse:
    Attached Files

Comment

Reverse:
      Attached Files

Comment

2. Canadian Forces Decoration.

There were two variations of this medal, one with the effigy of King George VI, one with Queen Elizabeth II.

Some background.

+ The Canadian Forces Decoration was established on 15 December 1949. The King (George VI) approved the creation on 08 March 1950.

+ When it was instituted the CD was unique in that it was awarded to all ranks, from enlisted soldiers to flag and general officers.

+ On 07 June 1951, the first Canadian Forces Decoration was presented to Viscount Alexander of Tunis.

+ Following the death of King George VI in February 1952, the design of the CD was altered to bear the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II.

+ The Canadian Forces Decoration was created as a replacement for a variety of British Long Service awards that were bestowed upon Canadians for service in the RCN, Canadian Army and the RCAF.

+ Awarded to officers and Non Commissioned members of the Canadian Forces who have completed 12 years of service. The last eight years must have been "good" in order to qualify for the CD.

+ Additional "Bars" are awarded for further service. They are for 10 additional years service each.

+ Recipients are allowed to use the initials "C.D." after their names.

+ Number of Awards (as of 2005) - King George VI Type (approx. 14,000), Queen Elizabeth II Type (approx. 217,000; clasps approx. 84,500).

Obverse of the Queen Elizabeth II Type:
        Attached Files

Comment

Reverse1:
          Attached Files

Comment

Reverse2:
            Attached Files

Comment

Scan of the engraved name. The wierd look on the "G" is due to poor scan of medal held on edge

Awardee:
              CPL J.C.G. FONTAINE
              Attached Files

Comment

A Group with some modern medals

Nice thread, Darrell - thought I'd add this group (my Father's) to the thread as it illustrates a mix of the new and the old.
                Attached Files

Comment

Photo of the naming on the CD
                  Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by Scott M; 08-27-2006, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott M
                      That's a smashing group Geoff What did your dad do to earn the MiD?
                      Thanks Scott - my Dad was a rifle platoon commander with the 3rd battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment in Korea - the MiD was for the recce patrols he did into the Chinese lines around the area of Hill 187 in April/May of '53. Quite often he got close enough, usually just him and another man, to hear their voices quite clearly - and he did a bit of exploration into their leading trench lines. It was an MC recommendation that was downgraded to an MiD. But, he has no regrets or anything - one of his fellow platoon commanders won the MC for calling in artillery on his own position when it was over run by the Chinese - he said what he did didn't compare to that!

Comment

Last edited by Scott M; 08-27-2006, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Geoff,

Wonderful Group

Nice to see other medals along the same theme

Comment

Thanks Darrell - didn't mean to hijack your thread - but I thought the group shows I nice mix of old and new - it's a fairly good illustration of a Canadian post-WW2 group. My father served from 1946-1980. What is interesting is that when he retired (as a LCol) in '80 he had 5 medals: Queen's Korea, UN Korea, UN Cyprus, '77 Jubilee, and the CD w/2 bars. Since that time he has gained the SSM w/NATO clasp, the Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal, and the Canadian Korea Medal - he says he feels a bit like a Russian General at times...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott M
                              He must have balls of steel, I can't even imagine what it must have been like there. I suppose when you are involved in battle your not really thinking about winning awards.
                              He did then, and at the age of 77 - still weighing the same as when he joined the Army at 17 - he still does!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X