No announcement yet.

Mark Yerger passed away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That´s very sad to hear, I got the most of his books here, he will be missed, that´s for sure, my condolences to the family and friends of this man.

Matt

Comment

RIP sad to hear this news.I found Mark helpful and quick to respond anytime
      I had contact with him.

Comment

Wow I just found out very sad news may he RIP.

Rene Chavez
        www.foreignvolunteerlegion.com

Comment

Very sad news indeed. I had some dealings with Mark and he was always very polite and helpful. I am sorry to hear that we have lost him, but glad to know that his suffering is finally over.

Tom

Comment

Mark and I had corresponded with each other over several years, first as authors and then as researchers. I had asked him to present at the MAX Show seminars many years ago and he was going to, but health concerns stopped our plans.
            A master researcher and all be it in a field that does not easily lend itself to open information, he had truly earned the respect of the very German soldiers he wrote about (definitely not an easy task). So now their loss is also our loss as the unwritten material in his mind is lost to history as well. RIP

Comment

Very sad to hear of Marks passing. A dedicated historian and a gentleman. My sympathy goes to his friends and family at this sad time.

Comment

Hi,

Never met Mark, but sincere condolences to his family and friends at this tragic time.
                From posts on the forum, and other sources he must have been a man of honour and truth; his legacy will live on in the collectors community by the remarkable books he wrote.
                These will be consulted by collectors and historians for years to come, as a benchmark in research and accuracy.

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Mark Yerger

My condolences to his friends (two and four legged) and family. I did not know Mark; but, I enjoyed his books. It speaks well of him in that the Waffen SS veterans trusted and opened up to him in his publishing efforts.

His published works will be a nice legacy.

Comment

From Germany also my condolences to his famliy and friends (and like Schulterklappen I want to include the four-legs).

R.I.P.

Comment

my condolences- I´m always sad to read that another great name of the site has gone. I believe they are and were the cornerstones of all that which has developed here- and showing valuable helpful decency towards the community. Having asked and learnt so much here, I indirectly believe to be a beneficiary of these great collectors, too- trying to keep up the spirit by giving back as much a I can with my modest knowledge to other fellow collectors.

Comment

Mark Yerger's sister has sent the message below that I am posting on his behalf:

I am overwhelmed by the comments made on the forum regarding my brother, Mark. His loss has been a deeply impacted me. Reading this forum has helped me see just how accomplished he was in the eyes of those he collaborated with. I appreciate all the kind words and please know that they mean quite a bit to me. To me he was my brother and while I knew he was quite accomplished in his area, I did not know the extent to which he helped so many others. In person he was a generous person and daily offered others what I ‘random acts of kindness’.

In answer to some of the questions asked and a few comments:
                        • Regarding his four-legged - - Dave has found a loving home with a neighbor of mine who adores cats as much or more than Mark. Ironically she was considering getting another cat, her late husband’s name was Dave and she has a son Dave. It was rather meant to be.
                        • I appreciated the Black Sabbath link and I’m certain Mark was smiling when I clicked on it.
                        • He died at age 61.
                        • His 23rd book will be released in 2017.
                        • How did Mark have the relationship he did with the vets? All he wanted to know about was the invisible wall that existed between SS and anyone else or any generation from any country. They were "an island." On a typewriter he typed a 12-page letter to Otto Weidinger and received no reply. A month later he wrote another and another month passed before he received a response. Between the 1st and 2nd letter he was investigated to see if he really was who he said he was. Mark was very genuine and with naive honesty and openness the relationship began. Otto was more than a mentor to Mark and as most all of you know, it was through Otto that he was able to connect with other vets. I remember for years giving him boxes of envelopes for Christmas. Why? He used them to send documents to the vets showing documentation of awards etc. that they had never received. He couldn’t send a package because it would be confiscated but sending a letter would not be opened. He did this without accepting money (returning what was sent), because he simply felt they deserved to have them. I feel he earned quite a bit of respect from those very early days. I see a parallel in how the vets helped him, with how he has helped so many others over the decades with their research.
                        • The personal and social cost for what he did – from me looking in – I would not recommend to anyone.

Some of the comments that resonate with me in particular because in many cases this is the side of Mark I knew:
                        • His work/love nothing short of perfection comes to mind
                        • The brightness of his eyes which were full of life
                        • You were a true friend
                        • He was a scholar and a gentleman
                        • Is rare to meet such a kind person as he
                        • As a writer and researcher he was without an equal
                        • I will always appreciate his encouragement
                        • He was the master in his field
                        • An author who is famous in his own time (you all should have seen his dance after receiving a published book)
                        • He leaves behind a great legacy of work
                        • I always found him friendly, warm and approachable
                        • Marc Rikmenspoel please do attend a Heavy Metal concert in his honor!!

To what several have suggested – I am thankful for the support to the idea of renaming this forum in his honor. That would be simply amazing and such an honor.

Stayed tuned for his last book coming out in 2017.

Thank you all for your kind words,

Leslie Fiorenza

Comment

My condolences the the family and friends! One of the best authors who wrote in depth without taking any sides. A skilled and passionate historian has left us.
                          I have some of his works and Im proud to have been able to contribute with a photo for one of his books.

R.I.P. Mark...

//Felix

Comment

ILeslie, I am sure that you will find comfort in the fact that your brother live forever through his books. He left a legacy that few does. J

Comment

This is terrible news. My condolences to his family and friends. I had the pleasure to spend some time with Mark on two occasions a few years back. He was selling some aviation art on the estand and I decided to purchase a few pieces. He only lived a few hours from me so I thought it only made sense to go pick it up.

I was not sure what to expect especially since I had no interest in SS. When I arrived, I was expecting a quick exchange and soon back on the road. Then I looked at my watch and three hours later I was still there.
                              We talked about aviation at length then we started talking about the vets and his work. I was quite fascinated with his knowledge, commitment, and passion.

I enjoyed the conversation so much I reached out to him a few months later to buy some more art. However, that time I looked forward to the conversation instead of the art. Mark was truly a great guy and will be missed. His German Cross books are still my favorites.

Comment

Rip

Rest in Peace Mark Yerger and condolences to family and friends!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X