Perfect Reference Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimistic View #985

Well, once his book starts selling perhaps he'll have the $20 required to become a full-fledged association member! heh...

Comment

$130?????

...and just think, this is Volume 1! That means at least one volume to follow

I would have to take a pass on some nice ribbon bars to afford that. I probably will. It better be worth it.

David

Comment

Breaking Book News

Breaking News-Upcoming HOT-Best reference "book" to be released this September by Bender Publishing!!!!!!Over 500 pages lots of photo's, Color and B/w subject "Iron Cross" author Gordon Williamson-price around $59 U.S. dollars...A author you can trust a publisher for the collector a subject alot of us just can't get enough of-lets hope for no more printing delays!!!!This will be my next book purchase, that $130 for that other book I'll redirect into more militaria!!!!!!

Comment

Perfact Reference Book

"A author you can trust" (?) Wow, what does that mean? I plan to purchase the book because one can NEVER have enough reference materials. No matter how many books you have you can never be poorer for the fact. Yes, it's not cheap but it could save you the price just in mistakes not made. Indeed, I have bought from Mr. Tucker. I just think there are not enough books dealing with our hobby (passion) available.
          Zinc stinks!

Comment

Hi All,

don't usually post here, too busy hanging around the forums. So 'Hi' to all.

With this new book by Mike, yes it is a bit of money, but there are so many fakes and unscrupilous people out there that in our hobby, knowledge is priceless. This forum gives us a huge advantage of access to some very experianced people, and books like Mikes also are valuable tools.

I have recently had to chuck 2 items from my collestion that turned out to be fakes, maybe with more research, and more books like this, I wouldn't have wasted my money on them.

I look at it this way, if this book, or any other saves you making one fake purchase, then it has been money well spent.

Regards,
            Tim

Comment

The book does look pretty good though . . . . I would like
              to here some feedback before I shell out the $130.00
              Charles

Comment

Will someone give the group a review of the text? I'm about 50/50 undecided. I would hope Rick L. would be given a free book and let him (as he would no doubt do) speak freely from a collectors point of view. From his critique I would decide yea or nea. Just my humble point of view.
                Last edited by mott5ranch; 07-21-2002, 12:37 AM.

Comment

OK,

Guys, I have ordered a copy, and will give my humble opinion when it arrives (September sometime) As I am not an expert, I will be looking at it from the perspective of someone who is on a large learning curve.

Regards,

Tim

Comment

I'm not a "Third Reich" collector any more, so the expected level of detail would be lost on me. I read these forums and find out things I never knew every day!

Just some general points on very good, detailed reference books:

Paul McDaniel's "Bible" on Soviet awards came out at $95-- and was worth every single penny. I had bought about $250 worth of CRAP before having any better idea (from black and white obverse only "check list" type price guides)-- so that book paid for itself almost immediately. It has fronts, backs, and side by side color comparisons with fakes--all the sort of things one needs these days.

There is just some sort of "psychological barrier" about going OVER the $100 level for a brand new reference book. I've spent $400 on an old period reference, so I suppose that's just my own hangup.

A really GOOD reference book is going to pay for itself. ALWAYS.

On the other hand, one of the German publishers (Stogie-Rick-- you've got one) came out with $250 EACH four volume set of Imperial German books, black and white only, pages upon pages of obscure Napoleonic foundation decrees text, but NOT the sort of HARD data (how many? what sort of fakes-- and how to tell? etc) that that sort of money justifies. NOT worth a quarter-K$ AT ALL, in my opinion, not for the use you'd get out of it! On the other hand, a nifty all-color Saxon orders book just came out, numbers, varieties, full color close-ups-- worth every penny.

So it all depends on WHAT info is there, how accurate it is, and how much the reader is going to USE it. Personally, since I'm NEVER going to be buying Knight's Crosses of the Iron Cross with Oakleaves and Swords, I really don't care about that sort of item-- but knowing nothing about mere 1870 EK2s except the market is now being flooded with fakes, that's the sort of "humanly possible" thing that would be of value to mere mortal collectors.

Comment

And there is another thing about the perfect reference book, don't forget the forgers will definately buy this book aswell for obvious reasons.

lee.

Comment

Knowlage is priceless!!!!!
                        Thats the problem here, the author knows that people need this type of information so why not jack up the price becuase a lot of us will no doubt by it. I imagine this book was alot of work and did cost alot to print but no where near 130.00. I really doubt that ill buy it, but if i did I know i would fell like im gettin bent over and.....

Comment

Hello guys,

About Gordon's upcoming book from Bender...Association members get a 20% discount which equates to roughly $12 off the list price. Buy two book from Bender and you have basically made you money back for the Association dues. Association members also have access to articles of unparalleled quality on the German Cross and Rick's Ribbon Bar article. And these articles are only the tip of the information iceberg that is the Wehrmacht Militaria Discussion Fourms.

The $20 Association dues is the best value in the hobby today.

About Tucker's book...

I agree with everyone elses sentiments about the price of the book - $130 in alot of money. However, I certainly look forward to seeing it in person. It appears to be of the same quality as 'The Iron Time'. Remember folks, 'The Iron Time' is a history book as opposed to a collector's guide. You cant really look in The Iron Time to see where the maker's mark is found on a genuine 'L58' screwback EK1. My thinking is that Tucker's new book will be structured the same way.

Calvin
                          -Calvin Hall, repressed Appalachian American.

Desperately seeking a Juncker Knights Cross ribbon loop and well used Knights Cross ribbon!!!

Comment

Remember folks, 'The Iron Time' is a history book as opposed to a collector's guide. You cant really look in The Iron Time to see where the maker's mark is found on a genuine 'L58' screwback EK1. My thinking is that Tucker's new book will be structured the same way.
                            Excellent point, Calvin!!

The Iron Time does a great job of teaching us the History of the Iron Cross and how it relates to State of Germany. Until Gordon's book comes out, the best place to learn about details/attributes of specific medal examples is (and has always been) this site. I'm looking forward to seeing Mike's book. I still have not decided if I will buy it. Gordon's book however, will be in my collection as soon as it comes out!!

Comment

Hi guys,

you must not look only the price and said ..................so much!

This is not a book that Mike can sell thousands and thousands, so it has to make to weigh the fixed costs on a possible number limited of sales, that it will be purchased only by collectors a bit specialized .

In a book there is a lot of work for researcing, a lot of money to do good photos and cost a lot of the colour's pages.
                              If the work is good ( as I think it is), I think it's a right price. he cannot does more low.
                              A book like this is forewer and always a reference you need every time.

Maybe Mike Tucker can do a special price for association members, Seba can ask to him and let it know to us the answer.

Ivan

Ivan Bombardieri

Comment

Although it will not be available for distribution until September, I have read with great interest the comments about my new book. If anyone has not seen the brochure, please have a look at www.authenticmilitaria.com/special/bookad.jpg While the book does cover the history of each badge, the format is designed for collectors more than historians. If anyone has specific questions about the book, please post them here on the Forum or email me and I will be glad to reply.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X