No announcement yet.

Soldiers of the Leibstandarte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pasoleati - Do you dispute the fact that Mohnke was responsible for the deaths of approximately 100 surrendered British soldiers at Wormhout, Belgium in May 1940 or approximately 100 surrendered Canadian soldiers in Normandy in June 1944? It is important to remember that Russia was an important ally of the British, French and Americans and other countries in defeating the German Invader during WW II. If you want to talk about Zhukov, then I suggest that you start a thread of your own on that topic.

Comment

And? That is barely 200 PoWs. Your Russian allies e.g. on grabbing the Finnish city of Viipuri routinely shot all wounded Finnish PoWs. Your own country's Curtis LeMay was responsible for 80,000 dead civilians in just one night. That is 400 times the death toll of Mohnke. Yet, I have never seen you calling LeMay a war criminal. It is highly likely that for over 10 years US air strikes have killed far many more innocents than that 200 every year. Yet how many persons of those perpetrators have been convicted?

Comment

Originally posted by pasoleati View Post
        And? That is barely 200 PoWs.
        Not very respectful.

I understand the point you’re making but there are ways to make it.

Comment

pasoleati - Have you actually read the book that is the topic of this thread?? I have, the son of a LAH officer gave me a copy many years ago. The first 51 pages of the book are all about Mohnke as a war hero. Overall image quality is not good as most photos appear darker than optimal. I am shocked by your comment that minimizes the shooting of 200 British and Canadian captured soldiers. Are you an SS apologist?

I needed to make room in my library for more deserving books. So today I threw in the recycling rubbish a number of books having no literary value for me. These included fanboy books by Thomas Fischer, Peter Mooney and M. Afiero. Aside from books coming out from such publishers as RZM, I don't find many new books with original and interesting content coupled with excellent photographic reproduction. See the photo here -

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewto...?f=19&t=243824

John Moore

Comment

Books

Originally posted by John P. Moore View Post
            pasoleati - Have you actually read the book that is the topic of this thread?? I have, the son of a LAH officer gave me a copy many years ago. The first 51 pages of the book are all about Mohnke as a war hero. Overall image quality is not good as most photos appear darker than optimal. I am shocked by your comment that minimizes the shooting of 200 British and Canadian captured soldiers. Are you an SS apologist?

I needed to make room in my library for more deserving books. So today I threw in the recycling rubbish a number of books having no literary value for me. These included fanboy books by Thomas Fischer, Peter Mooney and M. Afiero. Aside from books coming out from such publishers as RZM, I don't find many new books with original and interesting content coupled with excellent photographic reproduction. See the photo here -

John Moore
            Excuse me, Mr. Moore, but which books did you write? According to my information, she has never written anything, so don't allow yourself to judge the research work of others. I believe that the Forum administrator should intervene.

Waffen211

Comment

About war victims ....

Waffen211

Comment

About war victims ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...g_World_War_II

Waffen211

Comment

Originally posted by waffen211 View Post
                  Excuse me, Mr. Moore, but which books did you write? According to my information, she has never written anything, so don't allow yourself to judge the research work of others. I believe that the Forum administrator should intervene.

Waffen211

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28499710-signal-officers-of-the-waffen-ss

Ignorance and Nazi apologists are nothing new here.
                  Last edited by Lloyd I.; 08-21-2019, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John P. Moore View Post

John Moore

I guarantee he hasn't John. He's just doing his part for Nation Europa.

The original text was published by Heimdal, from 80 pages to 60. Translated my ass. They omitted as JFF often does being in the same league as that Neo-Nazi thief and ultimate prick Agte. A vulture who literally steals material from W-SS veterans for his cause, literally waiting on deaths doorstep to cash in from widows. You know first hand, being a Golden Ehrennadel holder of HIAG owner, what these men do. Same tropes, same victim mentality, same closed quarters, and always stick to the story and my how they seem like the incredible gentleman, clicking their heels while bowing and shaking your hand. I've been there. Like you I made the mistake of sharing a drink with them long ago as the nephew of a Knights Cross and German Cross in Gold winner, drinking together at our Gasthaus in lieber Bayern, impressed by their old school demeanor. You need to add Gordon Williamson and many more to your list. Former enemies who saddled up to darkness for profit. Funny thing, look up Giehrl von Sonnenberg, Teutonic Knights are not unknown in my family, such a title Gorden Williamson placed on the W-SS, or maybe 'Hitler's Samurai' was better suited. Laughable. Whatever their original intentions were, they, like you and even I at one point in time, were hoodwinked. In this, yes, I can sometimes see them as victims to their nations cause. It's a tough spot to occupy for most Germans and especially for a veteran, knowing the cost personally, my best friend I joined the Army with will never age past 36, there is a certain feeling of being used for a cause.

Airborne! As a US Army Paratrooper who re-classed to Signals Intelligence I raise my glass to my wife's grandfather in the 504th PIR that fought those bastards at Sadzot and many other places and thoroughly kicked their asses and her other grandfather in the 3133rd Signal Service Battalion in the Northern Apennines and Po Valley. So much for the 'elite' Germany had to offer when they met a superior military force that laid waste to them one on one. They never held and folded. But please dont let our dear publisher know that as they build their myths.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Lloyd I.; 08-21-2019, 06:43 PM. Reason: Da, da, da!

Comment

Pasoleati cant stay subjective, neither can waffen211.

Mohnke is being discussed. Both are trope machines using moral equivalency arguments; Dresden and Allied strategic bombing policy, Eisenhower Death Camps, the allies committed war crimes too, history is written by the victors, ad nauseam. Given time all would be covered I'm sure. One need only look at their rush to defense each time his protagonist gets questioned.

John legitimately points out this book being recommended by its publisher while it ignores and does not address Mohnke's culpability in war crimes while dedicating the larger part of the book's pages to Mohnke. John's recommendation is to not buy given it's lack of objectivity, given his connection to HIAG and previous experience with W-SS veterans I believe its very telling. Insert Pasoleati, defender of the Reich and a new strap hanger, waffen211.

Here is an insight since Im multilingual, our dear publisher, translated the original 80 page tome by Thomas Fischer originally published in French by Heimdal. If atrocity is omitted it is because JFF Fedorowizc chose to do so.

Comment

A friend just told me that it was composed 1. Monhke section 2. and for the other 61 officers and men, basic biographical archival info with some "quotes" from veterans.

So it doesn't seem to be composed of detailed interviews. I was hoping that it would contain recollections of fighting in various battlefields and how the LAH operated internally.

Comment

Lloyd - I very much appreciate your comments. Heimdal seems to publish quite a bit of SS material and I wonder if their motivation is money or something else.

Comment

Book

Even writing a book on the officers of the Waffen-SS communications departments can be considered to be a criminal offense. I've never seen this book and never read it, I think it was never actually distributed.

Waffen211

Comment

Books

Read our Moore as he has judged in the past Peter Mooney's book which he then 'trashed' .... This says a lot about his ability to judge the books of others...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=Brother+Arms

I just finished reading the last page of Peter's new book that arrived in the mail two days earlier. The quality of both text and images is excellent. This book is much more than a collection of captioned photos. There are plenty of interesting details in this book that the author could have only obtained from the veterans themselves. This added considerably to the reader's understanding of Kurt Sametreiter and Heinz Klose at a personal level. I was surprised to learn that the Dachau concentration camp was cleared of all inmates in October 1939 to make room for the 20,000 men of the newly raised Totenkopf division who were quartered in the barracks. I hope that Peter will continue publishing similar books. The value of such a book is clear where the author uses first hand recollections from the actual veterans in contrast to so many other books that we see coming on the market these days where the author was either unable or unwilling to make the effort to obtain veteran support.

John

'Che figura di merda!'

Waffen211
                              Last edited by waffen211; 08-22-2019, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Fascinating, the contrast in these appraisals by the same man of the same book.

I hope you'll explain the transformation, John-- from effusively praising a book and its author to wantonly degrading them and throwing the book in your recycling bin. Then- rather bizarrely- bragging about it on at least two forums. Doesn't make much sense to me, but do whatever makes you feel complete.

I am sad, though, that you left my books out of the bin, as I genuinely take your contempt as a compliment and endorsement.

Best regards,
                                ~ Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X