Soldiers of the Leibstandarte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LAH buff

As an LAH buff I ordered my copy yesterday....

Comment

Great book!

I received my copy yesterday and it was worth every penny of the
      USD 60 (!) I paid for UPS shipping out of Canada to Mexico.

What a fantastic book! Both thumbs up!

Definitely one of the best LAH books around.

For me as a hardcore LAH paper collector (award dox and photos) the book is a dream come true and fulfills every expectation I could possibly have towards a book based on veteran first hand accounts.

The author Thomas Fischer openly shares his information obtained first hand by visiting numerous LAH vets across Germany and including their photos and copies of their award documents. A true joy, making me remember my time when I used to be in the HIAG Freundeskreis in Hamburg talking to vets first hand.

Refreshing to see private snapshot photos of Sepp Dietrich, Hugo Kraas and others. Personal photos you do not see many times in other books which base themselves on professional PK shots from the well-known archives.

I am overwhelmed.

Only 2 downsidesuntil now:

1)
      The cover design is horrible and way old fashioned, when will editor become more innovative?

2)
      For me as a native German, it is sad to see that the book is only available in English, since English is not the "authentic" language for LAH material imo. Sorry.

I do not know how to get in contact with Mr. Fischer, but if he is planning or working on a new LAH book I would gladly open my LAH archive to him incl. my complete "Teddy" Wisch and Guenther Borchers groups.

I am sure these groups would find an appropriate home in his books.
      Attached Files

Comment

Great book

One more...
        Attached Files

Comment

I donĀ“t see anything wrong with the cover! Some "modern" cover designers should be shot on the spot.

Comment

A copy of the book in question arrived earlier this week.

I have to say that as a avid LAH historian, the subject matter is very good in my opinion. Many previously unpublished photographs (including some of Peiper!) supported by first had testimony of many former soldiers of the Leibstandarte. Also, several award documents, soldbucher and wehrpasses woven into the contents make for a welcome book in these days of shameless rehash.

I have only 2 minor points to raise though, firstly the photographic reproduction is frequently 'dark' and secondly, the cover really is not worthy of the contents inside the book.

Overall, 8.5/10 and a worthy addition to any bookshelf on the Waffen-SS.

Regards Richard.
            Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

TO Markus !

Markus !!! What a statement " German is the only language for an authentic LAH material". English speakers have gone a long way and worked hard to preserve German Military History and Culture, give us some credit....bitte! Unglaublich !!

Comment

Richard, how would you have designed the cover? IMHO the cover is excellent, simply superb as is the general layout overall (no overlarge font intented for the blind).

And, btw, for me those Soldbuch and award document samples were the most useless parts of the book.
                Last edited by pasoleati; 04-27-2008, 07:04 AM. Reason: Additional commentary added

Comment

Originally posted by pasoleati View Post
                  for me those Soldbuch and award document samples were the most useless parts of the book.
                  Quite a comment!

Exaclty how does the inclusion of known original Soldbucher, Wehrpass and award documents (frequently displaying RKT signatures) denegrate the quality of this book?

Regards Richard.
                  Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Does not denigrate as such, but from my PoV the best parts of the book were the interesting photos and primarily those new personal accounts. I buy books to be read and therefore pure pictorials do not interest me unless the photos show e.g. aircraft structure and/or have lengthy captions. For me an RKT signature has zero value as I donĀ“t collect such items. In other words, if I could choose one book for free and had to pick either a book on awards or one on Tiger tank design, the choice would be very easy.

Comment

Originally posted by pasoleati View Post
                      Does not denigrate as such, but from my PoV the best parts of the book were the interesting photos and primarily those new personal accounts. I buy books to be read and therefore pure pictorials do not interest me unless the photos show e.g. aircraft structure and/or have lengthy captions. For me an RKT signature has zero value as I donĀ“t collect such items. In other words, if I could choose one book for free and had to pick either a book on awards or one on Tiger tank design, the choice would be very easy.
                      We are both entitled to our respective opinions on this and it seems that we will agree to disagree.

From where I sit, the Soldbucher, Wehrpasses and award documents are excellent value for inclusion, due to the fact that they are inextricably linked to the individual soldier and his wartime service.

From my point of view, I welcome the inclusion of these items in all books of this nature.

Regards Richard.

Comment

Great book

Got my copy last week and it was well worth it. Terrific photographs and great bio's. I showed it to a friend of mine who served in the 4th SS and also the 10th SS and he couldn't put it down.

Comment

I have a few questions about the contents of this book:

1. Is it primarily a picture book? Approx how long is the text? (pages)

2. How would you rate the quality/value of the interviews included?

Also I am curious about the same questions with the author's LAH Artillery book

Comment

Not an objective book and has no literary value. This book glorifies the war criminal Mohnke. Absolute rubbish written by an SS fanboy.

Comment

are there anything special in the new personal accounts? The blurb advertises a great number of soldiers being interviewed- do any stand out in particular besides Mohnke?

"with our backs to berlin" by Tissler has a pretty good interview with Rogman regarding the Berlin fighting. It seems that Fischer also interviewed him.

Comment

Originally posted by John P. Moore View Post
                                Not an objective book and has no literary value. This book glorifies the war criminal Mohnke. Absolute rubbish written by an SS fanboy.
                                Again a prime example of Moore's personal bias coming forward. When it comes to Mohnke's "war criminality", his criminality pales in comparison to e.g. that of Georgi Zhukov. Yet I don't see Moore whining about how e.g. Geoffrey Roberts glorifies Zhukov.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X