Soldiers of the Leibstandarte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldiers of the Leibstandarte

I realize this is shameless self-promotion (since I am a business partner with JJ Fedorowicz Publishing) , but I do think the above book, which we will be publishing in February/March, will be of interest to the WAF community.

Here's the link:

http://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/Leibstandarte.htm

• Basically, 352 pages with more than 900 illustrations.
    • Nearly 700 previously unpublished photos. 150+ LAH award documents. 2 pages of full-color end sheets with division-unique insignia and all attributed to members of the formation.
    • Personal interviews with and first-hand accounts from SS-Brigadeführer Mohnke and 62 other soldiers of the division. (First-hand accounts of the final fighting in Berlin, Hitler's final moments, the organization of the guard force for the Reich Chancellery, plus combat narratives from all of the combat and combat-support branches of the "LAH")

If you have anyquestions, please contact me.

Regards,
    Bob Edwards
    Attached Files

Back Cover

Back Cover
    Attached Files

Comment

This looks like, it will be, an excellent addition to everybody's reference library .

Comment

Bob, I sent you an e-mail yesterday, no reply as of yet!

Comment

Hi Bob-

Looks to be a very interesting book...

Certainly a provactive choice to have Wilhelm Mohnke on the cover. Though, along with Wisch and Witt, hw was one of the original 117 members of the LAH, his peers despised him and he's probably the last person the men of LAH would have choosen to represent them...not to mention he was a war-criminal (Wormhoudt). However, war crimes are part of the history of the LAH and so was Mohnke, so what is one to do?

Anyways, I'm looking foward to reading this one...

John

Comment

Originally posted by John M. Donovan View Post
            Hi Bob-

Looks to be a very interesting book...

Certainly a provactive choice to have Wilhelm Mohnke on the cover. Though, along with Wisch and Witt, hw was one of the original 117 members of the LAH, his peers despised him and he's probably the last person the men of LAH would have choosen to represent them...not to mention he was a war-criminal (Wormhoudt). However, war crimes are part of the history of the LAH and so was Mohnke, so what is one to do?

Anyways, I'm looking foward to reading this one...

John

Hi John,

Great to have you back here on the forum!

Your contributions were greatly missed already.

I agree with you that choosing to put Willi Mohnke on the book cover is rather a sensible issue, since a lot of LAH vets would rather prefer not to necessarily be put in context with him.

Witt, Meyer, Rudi Lehmann or Teddy Wisch would probably have been better and more representative choices.

Nevertheless, I will also look forward to a Sunday afternoon with a nice cup of tea reading and enjoying the tales of my favorite division!

Regards from Miami!

Markus

Comment

Hi Markus-

Is that your unbiased opinion for Wisch on the cover

John

Comment

Originally posted by John M. Donovan View Post
                Hi Markus-

Is that your unbiased opinion for Wisch on the cover

John

Hell, how did that occur to you??

...but you have to admit, better Wisch than "Willi"....

Comment

thanks, looks interesting, would be good if you could bump this thread back up when it's actually on the shelves!
                  I never read reviews from the publisher/writer anymore, i've never read one with even the slightest criticism!
                  Ant.

Comment

Response

Just reading the thread posts so far...

To answer some of the questions/responses:

1. Yes, I would also be surprised to see a publisher claiming how bad his book was or even listing some of its faults. Of course, there are none in our book...

2. Mohnke may be an unfortunate choice, but all of the other "actors" in the drama are long since dead. Mohnke is, as well, but the author actually met with Mohnke, interviewed him and had unfettered access to all of his remaining personal photos and documents. Many of the "62 soldiers" (63, if you count Mohnke), are now dead, and a handful did not survive the war, but Fischer has talked to all of those who did survive and are profiled and has received permission to use their photos and documents. Since Mohnke has not been covered as much as many of the other personalities mentioned, this seemed a good starting point for the book for the author. Mohnke was one of the original members of the Leibstandarte, served on the first guard mount at the Reich Chancellery and, by a quirk of fate, was entrusted with its final defense at the end of the war.

Anyway, we think it's a pretty good book, and I look forward to all comments from disinterested parties.

Regards,
                    Bob Edwards

Comment

It does sound like a very worthwhile book & i shall probably buy it upon release, but with my poor memory i hope you do remind us Bob.
                      I don't know that much on the subject so i am interested in the comments on Mohnke, i know very little about him. I think whether his fellow soldiers liked/respected him or not is probably slightly irrelevant when it comes to a history book, after all his comrades sadly won't be reading this.
                      Ant.

Comment

Hi Bob. I happily placed my order on Saturday and will look forward to receiving the title. I'm sure the product will be of the same high-quality always encountered from Fedorowicz. And for one, I am absolutely untroubled by the choice of Mohnke on the cover but then I am not 'politically correct'.

Comment

Sounds interesting, though would rather see the publisher finish what he starts such as the decades long taking translation of the remaining "Das Reich" series or the other volume of the Polizei Division history.

Comment

Hello,

I look foward to the book and thankyou for providing the extra details about interviews with Mohnke and former LAH members. My main interest in Mohnke was due to his last command post more than his time with the division itself so I hope this is mentioned in his interviews.

Best,

James

Comment

Originally posted by Mark C. Yerger View Post
                              Sounds interesting, though would rather see the publisher finish what he starts such as the decades long taking translation of the remaining "Das Reich" series or the other volume of the Polizei Division history.
                              Good point. Bob, what is the status of these?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X