No announcement yet.

KC holders nowadays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate your concerns gentlemen that these guys need some space and to enjoy their years.

but if you look at this the other way, when they one day depart, then this part of history is gone forever.

or perhaps my request would be better if there are some more receptive KC holders?

perhaps someone could enlighten me on the right approach.
    sincerely

Mil.

Comment

Originally posted by Military View Post
      but if you look at this the other way, when they one day depart, then this part of history is gone forever.
      Mil.

But at what price?

Comment

Originally posted by Military View Post
        Why would be the history gone forever? - Our veterans have been viseted, interviewed, some even have wrote their own books, since the war has ended - so the history is not gone, everthing is recorded several times, since ages.

Sorry mate, you are not the first one

IMO time has come to let them enjoy their short remaining time on earth in piece.
        Last edited by Gran Sasso; 10-29-2008, 12:16 PM. Reason: info added

Comment

You guys are completely right when saying that the veterans should be able to enjoy their last years without receiving autograph - requests over and over again and there sure are a lot of KC holders wo don't appreciate all the attentention from strangers.

Nevertheless: there are also a lot of veterans who are very happy when they receive a letter and to know that there are people from post -war generations who have great respect for their bravery and experiences makes them happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn S View Post
            Nevertheless: there are also a lot of veterans who are very happy when they receive a letter and to know that there are people from post -war generations who have great respect for their bravery and experiences makes them happy.
            This might be the truth for unknown vets - but there are no unknown RK-holders... And they got flodded by letters.

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
              This might be the truth for unknown vets - but there are no unknown RK-holders... And they got flodded by letters.
              I wrote year ago long letter in german for Otto Carius and he answered fast and also added dedicated autograph fotocopy to me.It is most valuable item in my own collection(in my mind),next to my grandfathers awards.

I think it is same for RK-holders as it is for "normal" veterans,some of them like to talk hours about war experiences and many(if not most) dont want to talk anything about war.

All those men who received RK or here in Finland,equal award Mannerheim Cross...Those men were very dedicated/motivated for their war effort(and also many were professional soldiers after the war for years) and most of them did like to talk about their experiences.

Comment

I was friends with Hans Sturm while I was stationed in Germany and spent many nice Saturdays with him, his wife and his mother in the mid-80s. He enjoyed the company and would talk about the War and his experiences in Russia as a POW sometimes but most the time he talked about the ducks that came into his backyard, plants and flowers in his yard and other things not related to the War. He told me many RKTs did not like being contacted and also did not like Americans/British due to the War. He said he did not mind letters but did not like phone calls etc.

I think it is a personal choice that needs to be respected. I also met Heinz Harmel but he was less receptive to talking about things and I doubt was too excited about talking to an American Army Private.

My Father is a WWII vet is one of the last living witnesses to the first attacks on bomber formations by Me-262s. He now in his 80's, he is in pain and is much different than he was 20 years ago. When he was in his 60s people requested interviews with him and he did several for books and video records. He was much healther then and was receptive to this from historians. Now in his 80's and with cancer he does not want to talk to anyone anymore about the War and is enjoying his last years relaxing.

These men need to be respected, At this stage of their lives, maybe aside from sending letters, I do not think it is appropriate to contact them anymore for collector or novelty interests.

Comment

Busterz, if you don't want to be a "downer", why not refrain from posting? My dad was a 13-year-old boy when he was strafed by a P-51, but I don't go around putting down the actions of US war heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand View Post
                    Many years ago I was a corresponding member of the OdR and Becker-Neetz was the contact man as I remember. I paid membership dues for a few years and received signed pictures of several of the surviving members at that time, but as I did not write German too well, I let my membership slide. As an author I was listed in some of the newsletters and enjoyed corresponding with those who wrote in English. They seemed interested that someone from America was interested enough in the relics to write reference books. Even at that time the membership was declining and deaths were listed in the newsletters that came on a regular basis. I assume this still occurs even with the small declining membership.
                    Ron Weinand
                    Is there any way to become a corresponding member of the OdR today?
                    I tried to find a site with their address but no luck...
                    Could any one help me out?
                    Thank's in advance

Comment

Originally posted by stgeorge64 View Post
                      Wise words indeed. There is a massive gulf in between respect and adoration.

Soldiers do not manufacture war, that is the remit of the leaders and politicians.

I have corresponeded with many of the soldiers in the excellent photograph which started this thread, but it has been from a position of respect and not adoration.

Solders deserve the respect without doubt, that is the same whatever their nationality, but it should be remembered that in my country they have most certainly not in any way been treated post-war as their war servive deserves. In fact, many have been treated apallingly.

My message is simple, respect and understanding.
                      I am with you. X2

Edgar

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X