No announcement yet.

Kampfgeschwader 55 collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome collection. Thanks for sharing it! I will keep my eyes peeled for 55 stuff for you.

Comment

(Where is that photo from? I have the original photos for his 200th and 400th mission but never seen the 300th!)

Ian,
      It's on page 77 in Hall and Quinlan's book "KG55 IN FOCUS" I'll send you a scan of it if you like.

Adam,
      Thank you for you nice comments.

Jim
      Last edited by jim murray; 05-11-2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jewison View Post
        Here's another:

Fahnenjunker Oberfeldwebel Gerhard Dietrich.

Dietrich served from 1.7.1941 with Kampfgeschwader 55 in South Russia, briefly Kampfgeschwader z.b.V. 211 then back to Kampfgeschwader 55 with 4 Staffel, later Stabstaffel. November 1942 combat around Stalingrad, January 1943 supplying Stalingrad also Krim, 28.12.1943 to Kampfgeschwader 4 "General Wever! around Bialystok, 1.6.1944 to Nachtjagdgeschwader 102 based in Schönfeld - Seifferdorf and finally 24.11.1944 to Jagdgeschwader 110 as Fighter Pilot instructor based in Wesendorf.

Amongst his awards:
        14.12.1942 Honour Goblet
        20.3.1943 German Cross in Gold
        9.6.1944 Knights Cross (after completing 425 combat missions).

/Ian

Ian

I had forgotten you had the Dietrich group. Beautiful!!

One of many bits in your collection I secretly covet.

Jeremy

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyJ View Post
          Ian

I had forgotten you had the Dietrich group. Beautiful!!

One of many bits in your collection I secretly covet.

Jeremy
          I have his photos as well......If you remember unfortunately his awards were split all over the universe and it was through WAF that myself and Jim got in contact some years ago over Dietrich's possessions!

It is a wonderful Soldbuch with many entries and signatures of well known pilots, Ritterkreuzträger etc. Over the years I always thought and according to "Das waren die deutschen Kampfflieger Asse" also that his last unit was Jagdgeschwader 110 and he ended the war as a fighter pilot instructor.
          John Kaiser's book "Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kampfflieger" mentions his last unit was Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"!
          Now, I knew there was the signature of Walter Matoni RKT (JG 26, II/JG 2) in the Soldbuch made under an entry for demobilisation from 15 Flieger Division and an obscure Feldpost number. On rechecking the FP Nr is L 34652 - 7 Staffel, Jagdgeschwader 2....so a little bit more info that I did not know about Herr Dietrich!
          Depending what you read on Matoni, he was Gruppenkommandeur of II/JG 2 at the time, but in other references he was not so I presumed it was an entry made by JG 110!

/Ian
          Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Wow some cracking stuff on here.I have a big group of paperwork which
            belonged to Wilhelm Mylius
            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Andy,
                Thank you for posting your collection of Wilhelm Mylius documents.

I have a letter to Mylius from Hptm. Wolfgang Witte, I have not translated it yet, but from what I can see, he mentions KG55, the awarding of a EKII and some future dates, I look forward to translating it properly.

Hptm. Wilhelm Mylius was Stkp of 6th staffel and received the Knightscross on the 3rd of April 1943 after completing over 363 combat missions, after being shot down well behind Russian lines, he made his way home with all his crew and captured 12 Russian prisoners for good measure.
                Wilhelm Mylius survived the war, but died in 1970 at 55 which was quiet young.

Hptm. Wolfgang Witte was appointed Stkp of 1st staffel on the 23rd of Augest 1944, which was redesignated 1 KG (J) 55 flying Me 109s. He was seriously injured in a crash on the 12/2/1945 flying a Me 109 G-6 near Leiblfing south west of Straubing, Germany and died of his wounds on the 22/2/1945. Wolfgang Witte was the last member of KG55 to die during World War II.
                Attached Files

Comment

as you can see Witte was promoted from Oberleutnant to Hauptmann when he wrote this letter.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

KG55 unit pin.
                        Attached Files

Comment

hi

Hi Jim
                          Very nice collection and a stunning tunic

Comment

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply,yep was aware of Mylius exploits behind enemy lines.I know
                            another member on here has the Mylius honour goblet.

All the best
                            Andy

Comment

i believe he was from holland

Comment

Originally posted by Wijtman01 View Post
                                i believe he was from holland
                                Yes Martin is the lucky owner

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 18 users online. 0 members and 18 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X