This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new attempt

Tried again but this time I took the photo further way and then cropped it in PaintShopPro. I think there is improvement.

Perhaps my initial problem was taking the photo too close, ie zoomed in, and that affected the depth?

Better?
    Last edited by Rich G; 07-15-2008, 09:06 AM.
    Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
    Decorations of Germany

Comment

Different subject but the purpose is the same.

I think all is in focus but would ask if you agree.
      Last edited by Rich G; 07-15-2008, 09:06 AM.
      Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
      Decorations of Germany

Comment

Hello Richard - Sorry for my slow response back to you.

Comparing your picture in post 86 and post 91, the background picture of the soldier in post 91 looks much better along with the medals in the foreground. You might want to try some tests adjusting your lighting with the same display.

As for your picture in post 92. To me the overall picture looks fine. I think with this picture the only adjusting needed is with the lighting. For example the top of your iron cross is not as clear as the bottom of the cross.
        Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

is shutter speed the same as "exposure"

on my digital camera, i don't see a shutter speed choice, I just see "exposure".

Comment

Originally posted by Von Hoth View Post
            is shutter speed the same as "exposure"

on my digital camera, i don't see a shutter speed choice, I just see "exposure".
            I'm not sure about your camera. It could be a simplified format. Exposure is a combination of shutter speed and aperture (F-stop).

Robert

Comment

Any advice on how to photograph tunics, that skills fails me, Jacques

Comment

To do these photos I used the same system, a digital of 5.0mp and a light from 500w, but two different backgrounds .The result is surprising,what do you think about it?
                Attached Files

Comment

2/2
                  Attached Files

Comment

The detailing of the CCC is superb with the black background. Great shots. I have to say, I like the black background better, although the GWB looks more real to life with the white background.

Robert

Comment

I'm agree with you,I' also prefer the black velvet for backgraund,generally for all awards

Comment

The white background caused the camera to overexpose for the highlights and therefore blew out the details. I always try to do my book photos on a darker background so the details are easy to see. I just photoshop out the background.
                        Marc

Comment

Trying to take more artistic approach, especially with field gear items . Priorities on textures, colors, contrasts . One may say it’s a good excuse for using a lousy camera. And you know what? You may be right!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Rick,

I got inspired into action...

Robert
                            Attached Files

Comment

photo
                              Attached Files

Comment

If you want to have a good photographical reproduction, the best background for an authentic reproduktion of the color and gradation is "neutral grey" with a small "Graukeil" like this http://www.fotogallery.ch/graukeil.jpg or better a "Farbkeil" like this. That allows to measure real black and white and to get a standard for soming sessions without a lot of tests.

Black background are nice color "boosters" but if you want to make a series of shots with different colored items you will have problems soon. Same problems with coloured and white backgrounds. Sometimes its looks nice and decorative artistical but it is really not a "fine art of reproduction".

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X