• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice thread, i'll try it to
    Thanks Flak88 for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stpanzerguy View Post
      metal body Sony F717 - no longer produced, but still can be found for sale used.

No tripod needed (camera adjusts to brightness automatically by using fast shutter speed = sharp pics).

No shadow box needed.

just need 1) table, 2) camera, 3) ring light, 4) 2 hands, 5) outlet, and 6) tasty militaria - only can be used for small stuff
      I went out to Staples today and bought the ring light you were using for your photos. I use the same camera, the Sony DSCF-717, only use the Aperture setting with an F-stop of 8.0 to get full field of view focus. I use the tripod out of habit. I removed the lens and took my first photo, and was very surprised how well and easy it does work. Good definition, good lighting for detail, etc. I had my badge rolled to one side so the right side is not fully lit in the photo, but a little correction next time will solve this. Overall, for $27.00, I'm pleased.

Robert
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

NICE closeup - I see you use the macro setting! A MUST!!!

Comment

Honestly, Marc, which photo do you like best, the flourescent above or the incondescent here?...

Robert
              Attached Files

Comment

I think the ring light does a nice job. It isn't for every application, but for closeups it is sweet!

Comment

Thanks Marc,

It's really a compromise. The light ring really gives good definition from proper/balanced lighting.

Robert

Comment

I normally like natural light for photographing medals and the like. I use professional ring lights at work that are camera-mounted, but this small ring light idea intrigued me, so I just went and bought one.
                    This is my first test photo, with no adjustment, and I like the results. I may find a dimmer to put the light on, in order to take the intensity down. The light was three inches from the medal, and the camera (a Canon SD1000 on Auto settings, in macro) had it's lens positioned about two inches higher.

Cheers,
                    Bob.

Last edited by bobcam1; 06-19-2008, 03:45 PM.
                    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.....

Comment

Bob,
                      Very nice, though I agree it is getting close to washout. Maybe a diffusion panel?
                      Marc

Comment

Bob,

Can you bring your lightsourse (ring light) about 6" above your badge to soften the hot light effect, and set your megapixel in your camera higher to allow for the further distance from your badge? I've been shooting with my white balance set with a white piece of paper first, manual setting, with my mode dial set to Aperture, and EV level indicator on whatever you need (-0.3 to -2.0, all depending on background shade (light , medium or dark) to fight washout.

Robert

Comment

Robert, your new lamp seems to be a very good investment... what a WONDERFUL picture thats just great, also, the colors from the badge ain't changed, as far as I can see.. like the nasty blitz that will make it "boring"
                          Blitz on EKs are just , it's not ugly, but it won't be like seeing the badge with your own eyes... if you know what I mean

I haven't tried any "special" lamps yet, but so far I just love natural sunlight

Great great great

Comment

Marc had a good idea of a diffuser of some sort. Perhaps a piece/ring of semi-transparent white mylar under the ring light might work well, or even a piece of tracing paper cut in a ring and tied under the ring light. I use the mylar in indirect sunlight for good photos when I shoot in natural lighting.

I'm still working with my ring light too. We'll get it perfected in time. The equipment will do it - we just need to learn how to make it work.

Robert

Comment

Here is a shot under the ring light with the setting at +0.3EV, a little too dark...

Robert
                              Attached Files

Comment

Again, absolutely no photo editing whatsoever, this one set at +0.7EV...a little better...

Robert
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X