Kampfgruppe

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kriegsmarine Watch Officer Badge (Abzeichen des Wachhabenden Offiziers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, that is correct. It is a tricky badge but at least the one with the "A" marked stamp makes it a little easier based on post #48.

This badge was worn after the war in both East and West Germany as I understand it, however there were subtle differences in design.

John

Comment

Thank you John.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

Gentlemen,

There was also a version of this badge worn on a white arm band in both the Kriegsmarine and the Bundesmarine. I am assuming that the three pronged one posted earlier whould have been one that had been originally on the Kriegsmarine white arm band. Does anyone have a white Kriegsmarine watch arm band that they could post a picture of? One of these arm band is illustrated in wear in "Die Kriegsmarine Uniforms and Traditions" volume 2 page 46. This arm band is also worn in the Bundesmarine but is made of plastic so there should be not confusion as to what is what here. The Bundesmarine arm band is pictured below.

Regards,

Gordon
        Attached Files

Comment

An interesting photo since you rarely see the badge worn with this uniform.

John
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Guys....thought I'd bump this thread back up. Looking for opinions on this 3 prong type as too whether it's considered wartime produced.

Thanks in advance.....
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Peter,

I haven't seen a 3-prong version before, but to me this has the look of a good either early war or pre-war tombak version, based upon the patina and the style of the main pin.

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Comment

Hi,

Norm, there's another one in post-55!

This one certainly looks the part - construction, finish, age all appear genuine.

The hardware would make this a difficult badge to quickly remove and/or hand-over though, given that the badge itself is supposed to only be worn on duty. I'm thinking this may have come off an armband or a small shield badge (like cops use)? We'll need to find more period pics of the badge in wear to confirm that sort of theory though.

Regards
                Mike
                Last edited by Mike Kenny; 12-11-2011, 01:58 AM. Reason: typo - as usual!
                Regards
                Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
                  Hi,

Norm, there's another one in post-55!

This one certainly looks the part - construction, finish, age all appear genuine.

The hardware would make this a difficult badge to quickly remove and or hand-over though, given that the badge itself is supposed to only be owrn on duty. I'm thinking this may have come off an armband or a small shield badge (like cops use)? We'll need to find more period pics of the badge in wear to confirm that sort of theory though.

Regards
                  Mike
                  Hi Mike,

So there is! Guess I'm losing it.

I like your theory about this being the arm band version. Stands to reason that the mounting mechanism in that situation would require the 3-point stability.

Best regards,
                  ---Norm

Comment

A wonderful post.

They think about this issue?

Greetings from Madrid.

Julio.

Comment

Hi Julio,

That appears to be the Assmann style but, for once, hardware and finish indicate probably a wartime example to me.

Regards
                      Mike
                      Regards
                      Mike

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. As you say Norm, this does have the age and construction of a wartime piece...on the other hand, Kai does have this one as well which although has lost most of it's gilt finish (Zinc I assume) may be a more accepted type.

I still think I'll go for the 3 pronged badge

BTW this is a great thread and IMO should be pinned
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Peter,

I think Mike would agree that too looks like a good period watch officer's badge. Hard to tell the material -- like you say probably zinc or maybe a brass with age and patina? If zinc that would place it in the second half of the war whereas if it's Tombak it could be wartime or pre-war as with other non-swastika bearing items like buttons and dress belt buckles.

Best regards,
                          ---Norm

Comment

That opinion seems another example a little battered.

Any opinions or advice will be welcome.

Excuse my poor English.

Greetings from Madrid.

Julio.

Comment

Apart from the condition, it looks as good as any other posted.

Comment

The last 2 examples posted certainly look like period examples to me.

I think the post#58 example is a nice conditioned fine-zinc rather than darkened tombak example. The worn highpoints on the wreath appear to show a silver rather than gold coloured basemetal. The only possible tombak I can see is the base of the prong assembly, visible from the obverse behind the anchor loop and holding the original gilt finish.

Regards
                                Mike
                                Regards
                                Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X