Gielsmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Bacqueville" Kriegsmarine Badges are...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These badges appear to be accepted as originals in collecting circles these days, although I'm not yet convinced. As to rarity, I remember in the 1980's that they certainly were not rare, expensive or hard to acquire. They appeared suddenly in great numbers. I have several of them but certainly would be hard pressed to pay the asking price for them these days.

Hopefully one day some non-refutable evidence will someday appear.

Richard

Comment

might be original BUT they are IMHO HORRIBLE, so I don´t care either way.

Who wants to own badges with that lousy quality??? Much more inferior than the worst german makers.

Comment

looks good to me

Comment

Here's a French made one for sale! I also believe in these,(but not in this price!)
          http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Krieg...s/K011258.html
          Last edited by NickG; 07-13-2008, 07:44 PM.

Comment

I also am sure that these are original, pre 1945. They are rare to find. In my opinion very much under priced. It took me 25 years to get a U-Boat badge. The price !!!!!!!.

Comment

Hi
              Even they are really good they have the worse looking of KM badges .
              I don't like them and I don't think MOURGEON was the maker because he produced very nice insignias for the French Army pré-1940

Phil

Comment

Michel is right, MOURGEON is definitely the maker and it is a mistake to call these french made badges "Bacqueville" as this comapny never produced them or sold them.

Pierre

Comment

possibility is there

Originally posted by Brian S View Post
                  Opponents say LDO, German regs., nothing would permit a FRENCH firm to produce this badge.

1st of all, exactly where in the minds of Germans did Germany end and French borders begin?

2nd. Wholesale takeover of property was rampant, why couldn't a German firm have occupied the premises of a badge producing firm in France and produced badges?

Here is "Germany" in 1897, concentrating on German regiments scattered throughout "France" as defined by the Prussian victory in 1871. Clearly the Treaty of Versailles borders were not recognized as legitimate by the Third Reich. German troops were stationed literally on the doorstep of Paris. In the minds of many an old soldier, this was German territory.
                  There is no question Adolph and the boys used manufacturing outside the fatherland. One of the best known examples is FN in Belgium. If they had hi-powers made, badges would be an easy reach.

I agree with some other's comments. They are among the ugliest and only desireable to serious badge guys.

Comment

Isn´t it funny, that no collector from East Germany knew about these "French" badges until 1989?!

Comment

Yes, that is hilarious.....especially since I got one from a junk shop in a small U.S. town in the early 1970's.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Leroy; 05-16-2009, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
                        Yes, that is hilarious.....especially since I got one from a junk shop in a small U.S. town in the early 1970's.

You are aware of the different political situation in EAST and WEST Germany during that time, right?

Comment

Yes, I am, and no disrespect meant to collectors on either side. Quite frankly, I don't see the connection vis-a-vis these badges.

Comment

The funny thing concerning these badges is: why do collectors of the Iron Curtain countries (EAST Germany) never saw these badges before 1989, while collectors in the BRD know about them since the 60ies/70ies?

Comment

Perhaps because all these badges stayed in the West and, as suggested in Post #67, they do not seem to have been distributed on any scale, but remained in storage in the Navy Ministry in Paris.

Comment

so by that you mean that these were never awarded. Else I find it very hard to believe that it shouldnt have turned up even in east germany(ddr).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X