another "unknown" M40 tropical cap name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another "unknown" M40 tropical cap name

I've seen the name ALMI on Luftwaffe caps before but not Heer. Now this has turned up. Any views?
    http://www.relicsofthereich.com/cate...el-dak-m40-cap
    Mike
    Attached Files

Another couple. The seller says the eyelets are steel, though they don't look like it to me. Anyone seen one of these from North Africa?
    Attached Files

Comment

I will draw your attention to a couple of points of interest. First the stamp. Its not quite like other Almi stamps, where the size stamp is where the M is on this one. And M. This means Munich, doesn't it, whereas Koblenz is near Frankfurt (F)? And do 1941 caps have this lettering system? I'm not sure that I have noticed it on them. Second, the eyelets. If these are steel as the seller says, they have fewer than usual rivet petals (six rather than eight), and again they are unusually early. Finally, the cockade is also early (though perhaps not impossible — I've seen them on photos of two new looking Weissbachs on VG and a Lubstein only) for a 1941 cap.
      I don't feel comfortable with this cap.
      M

Comment

The asking price says it all about this cap, dealer looking to make a quick buck by ripping off someone who thinks they getting a bargain.

The liner certainly does not right IMO, am viewing pics on I phone

Comment

Here is a stamp from the same year

B. N. Singer
          Attached Files

Comment

I found this one — apparently it says Koblenz, though I wouldn't know if the cap it's on is OK (not my field). I can't read the date. I think the second "I" on the M40 is thinner than on both this one and yours.
            More and more, I doubt the M40; interesting eyelets though.
            Cheers
            Mike
            Attached Files

Comment

And this one on a Luftwaffe cap. No fabrik on the Mützen.
              Attached Files

Comment

Don't see any problems with this cap. Maker is already on the list. Stamps can very from one maker as can insignia application.

Comment

It has been suggested to me that the stamp might read F/M for Frankfurt am Main, not M for Munich. Certainly there is room in the stamp box for F/M. That would be one major objection gone
                  Mike

Comment

Looks like another textbook, great cap....in the same vein as Alexander posted. I’ve been looking for serious bones of contention in all of them and still don’t see one.

Robt.
                    Last edited by RGD51; 11-07-2017, 05:53 PM.

Comment

here is another, 38 dated.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Agree nothing wrong with any of these ALMI examples and the threadstarter is a one look original. Several collectors have sent me em's on this cap and no-one has anything negative to say...i believe the red liner just looks off from the poor photo and lighting. Grommets & stamps are good as is construction & materials.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
                          Agree nothing wrong with any of these ALMI examples and the threadstarter is a one look original. Several collectors have sent me em's on this cap and no-one has anything negative to say...i believe the red liner just looks off from the poor photo and lighting. Grommets & stamps are good as is construction & materials.
                          I havent seen one with MutzenFABRIK yet though...the thrhreadstarter is a first.

Do we have ANY other one look orginal with the same stamp as the threadstarter?

Comment

There are many makers of tropical caps with the "Mutzen-Fabrik" in their stamp, not that unusual.
                            Perhaps on Continental caps it's less common ? i don't know.

Comment

I would like to see an exterior shot of the grommets.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X