• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incredible find !
    A few guys will have to change the position of their shields presumed to be
    on "untouched" pith helmets.

Comment

SS Strumbrigade Reichfurer, Batt. Dallinger

Great shot. Less that a month after this shot these men of the Sturmbrigade Reichfuhrer SS, and its SS Battalion Dallinger would hold Mont Teghjme under Bastia holding ground for the tactical retreat from Sardinia of th 90Pz.Grenadier Div. Hard fighting up there. There is a nice Pak 40 piece still guarding the valley a witness to more glorious days...

Comment

Sturmbrigade SS ReichFuhrer above Bastia

here are some period shots of the battle's aftermath, and of the Pak 40 that is still there
        http://archives.ecpad.fr/progression...n-de-la-corse/

Later

Comment

Originally posted by FESTUNGBREST View Post
          ...., and of the Pak 40 that is still there
          Interesting images. Indeed I witnessed that PAK, a nice surprise driving the wonderful winding roads of Corsica. It is indeed standing on the same spot as I recall, could it be the same one you think?

Comment

Originally posted by clint-magnum View Post
            Incredible find !
            A few guys will have to change the position of their shields presumed to be
            on "untouched" pith helmets.
            Very true. I had an SS pith helmet once that was sold to me by a friend. He acquired it with his wife when visiting her parents in Italy. It had been in the attic since the war when it was left by a billiting soldier. No one believed it was real of course. I eventually sold it to a collector.

Comment

..... a witness to more glorious days...
              Obviously you have no idea what it was like to live back then. Statements like that are why this hobby gets painted in a negative light.

Comment

Very nice and interesting photos.... thanks

Oriano

Comment

Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post
                  Obviously you have no idea what it was like to live back then. Statements like that are why this hobby gets painted in a negative light.
                  Obviously someone is moody or irritable today...
                  Your reprimand is witless. No pro III reich views were expressed. Your have misconstued my post in order to make yourself look significant, and probably add to your posting score number.
                  Get real, for the sake of all of us.

Comment

Obviously someone is moody or irritable today...
                    Your reprimand is witless. No pro III reich views were expressed. Your have misconstued my post in order to make yourself look significant, and probably add to your posting score number.
                    Get real, for the sake of all of us.
                    Christian,

I do not comment on Threads to increase my "posting score", nor make myself look significant. And, I did not say you expressed pro TR sentiment. Implying those days were "glorious" though maybe has the unintended effect of mischaracterizing and trivializing the suffering of people regardless of country. The Germans, Japanese, Italians, Russians, Americans, Brits, etc.. all caused suffering to innocent people, and I know you understand that. The only thing "glorious" about those days and that war was its end and the defeat of fascism.

And if you want to talk reprimand, maybe I should post the comments from your PM to me here.

Regards!

Bob

P.S. Very nice photos Panzertruppen!
                    Last edited by Waffenreich; 01-14-2019, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Great Pics!!

Comment

The shield were positioned both ways.

I as well as other collectors have 100% authentic examples where the runes are on the wearers right side, same as SS steel helmets.

What's interesting to me is I have not seen one authentic helmet with the shields positioned in the manner as the photos above. Clearly the photo is authentic but it makes you scratch your head at times. It's falls in the same vein as reversed and mirrored SS decals on helmets. The lack of some uniformity leaves you wondering.

Why there are some shields reversed on tropenhelm is still not a question that has not been answered historically to my knowledge. Also to my recollection there are photos of Liebstandarte wearing the tropenhelm with the shields correctly applied with SS shield on the wears right side in Italy.

As a note: anyone who manipulates an authentic example to match a photo is a fool.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Hollywood View Post
                          The shield were positioned both ways.

I as well as other collectors have 100% authentic examples where the runes are on the wearers right side, same as SS steel helmets.

What's interesting to me is I have not seen one authentic helmet with the shields positioned in the manner as the photos above. Clearly the photo is authentic but it makes you scratch your head at times. It's falls in the same vein as reversed and mirrored SS decals on helmets. The lack of some uniformity leaves you wondering.

Why there are some shields reversed on tropenhelm is still not a question that has not been answered historically to my knowledge. Also to my recollection there are photos of Liebstandarte wearing the tropenhelm with the shields correctly applied with SS shield on the wears right side in Italy.

As a note: anyone who manipulates an authentic example to match a photo is a fool.

I can only assume you are right and as I recall I have seen those "correct positioned" images before as well. It is a fact that both the 4th SS Pol. Division and RFSS have been issued with the Pith helmets and incidentely other units as well. In any case there are plenty of those surviving SS shields - many that found a postwar home positioned on LW pith helmets no doubt- so it is only logical to find them in period photos as well.

Therefore the images that have started this thread are so very interesting IMO. Hard to believe only a single platoon within RFSS would have worn the reversed version. And why don't we find examples of these reversed shields in today's market??

Comment

Ok guys, please post those photos of SS tropenhelms with shields.
                            To my knowledge, prior to these photos the only "known" photo of SS trpnhlms w/ shields was published in Bender publication LAH. Photo was credited to Peterson. Nothing about the photo indicated it was LAH, just that it was located in the headgear section. The unit was in all likelihood the RFSS.
                            All other published photos in regards to this headgear worn by SS units lack SS Shields.
                            Please post photos of LAH, SS Polizei or any other units wearing Tropenhelms sporting SS insignia.
                            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by David T View Post
                              Ok guys, please post those photos of SS tropenhelms with shields.
                              To my knowledge, prior to these photos the only "known" photo of SS trpnhlms w/ shields was published in Bender publication LAH. Photo was credited to Peterson. Nothing about the photo indicated it was LAH, just that it was located in the headgear section. The unit was in all likelihood the RFSS.
                              All other published photos in regards to this headgear worn by SS units lack SS Shields.
                              Please post photos of LAH, SS Polizei or any other units wearing Tropenhelms sporting SS insignia.
                              Thanks
                              I would welcome those images as well! All well know photos in the books I have show pith helmets worn by Waffen SS troops but unfortunately without any shields visible...

Btw, the well known image of the two LAH soldiers that might be the one referred too; they are wearing captured pith helmets sans insignia thus not relevant for this particular discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by David T View Post
                                …. prior to these photos the only "known" photo of SS trpnhlms w/ shields was published in Bender publication LAH....
                                And here the photo in question, attributed to be taken in Italy 1943.

Never paid attention that also in this image indeed the shield is mirrored!

Remarkably all (published) surviving SS pith helmets have the shields in the custom manor.

So an appeal to all to show a period photo where the SS pith helmet is worn in the standard fashion!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X