Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS in Corsica ! Tropenhelm,...

Hello,

Here is my news pics... We can see a group of the Sturmbrigade Reichsführer-SS in Corsica in august 1943, one month before the liberation of the island.

Hope you like it !

Best regards
    Panzertruppen.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panzertruppen; 01-06-2019, 02:38 PM.

Regard Thanks

Comment

Excellent photos!!! Thank you so much for posting these!!! SS tropenhelms w/ shields!!!
      Last edited by David T; 01-06-2019, 06:14 PM. Reason: error..again!

Comment

very nice photos
        thank you

Comment

Awesome pics no Reichsfuhrer SS cufftitle? Only SD and Reichsfuhrer SS wore the trop uniforms I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick E View Post
            Awesome pics no Reichsfuhrer SS cufftitle? Only SD and Reichsfuhrer SS wore the trop uniforms I believe.
            Also SS Polizei Division in Greece.

Comment

The 1st and 2nd photos have been developed from the wrong side of the negative!
              The runic shield is in reverse mode and on the wrong side.
              Good to see the runic shield being worn on the Headgear.
              Quite rare

Comment

Originally posted by istra63 View Post
                The 1st and 2nd photos have been developed from the wrong side of the negative!
                The runic shield is in reverse mode and on the wrong side.
                Good to see the runic shield being worn on the Headgear.
                Quite rare
                No, they are printed correctly. The runic shield is on the left with runes pointing to the rear. If the negative was reversed the runes would still point in the same direction. The only other published photo I know of until now with runic shield has this same configuration. The shields are configured the same as Heer and Luftwaffe.

Comment

I was looking at the runes on the shield in the first photo David, they look like they are reversed?
                  However you are probably correct for the watch/compass pocket is where it should be.

Comment

Good eye!!
                    Yes, the watch/fob pocket is the point of reference for the photo. I didn't mention it it but you caught it. The shields are applied in reverse as compared to an SS stahlhelm.
                    The swastika faces forward and the runes face to the rear on the tropenhelm. Clearly they were designed and manufactured for the same configuration as a stalhelm. Yet they were applied in the Heer / Luftwaffe Tropenhelm configuration. The other photo of a runic shield pith helmet (I think its attributed to George Peterson) shows the same configuration as these photos.
                    I suspect a lot SS Tropenhelms in collections (with forward facing runes) will be getting make overs! Lol

Comment

Hi,

Glad you like them ! What you call "watch/compass pocket" is, if we look closely, an holster for P08.

Best regards
                      Gabin

Comment

Hi,

the two pics were originally proposed on Gielsmilitaria, the location the back was listed as "Petreto, August 1943".

See You

Vince
                        Attached Files

Comment

Indeed there are listed in Petreto and came from Giel... Good job FrenchVolunteer !

Comment

I like what I see !

Comment

Originally posted by David T View Post
                              Good eye!!
                              Yes, the watch/fob pocket is the point of reference for the photo. I didn't mention it it but you caught it. The shields are applied in reverse as compared to an SS stahlhelm.
                              The swastika faces forward and the runes face to the rear on the tropenhelm. Clearly they were designed and manufactured for the same configuration as a stalhelm. Yet they were applied in the Heer / Luftwaffe Tropenhelm configuration. The other photo of a runic shield pith helmet (I think its attributed to George Peterson) shows the same configuration as these photos.
                              I suspect a lot SS Tropenhelms in collections (with forward facing runes) will be getting make overs! Lol
                              This is indeed very interesting and good to know!
                              In any case great images for up until now it was assumed most SS pith helmets were worn without insignia based on period photo proof.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X