A lucky find: SS Volunteers arm shields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rene Chavez View Post
    This is interesting on the BeVo Crimean shield l have been receiving emails from collectors that have this shield. They seem to be popping up, l am suspicious to say the least. I only like the printed shields.

Rene Chavez
    www.foreignvolunteerlegion.com
    Could you please post the shields you say they are popping up?
    I know until today only a couple of guys had this type of shield.
    They are not popping up from anywhere, only from my friend.
    If you are suspiciuos on a 70 years old finding I think nothing in out collection is fine. Or you think I'm a liar.

Btw: today the number of the patches increased since other boxes were opened and in there were more of all the 3 types.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
    - THE SS TK RING
    - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
    - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
    - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

They look fine to me.

Comment

Nice fund. But it has nothing to do with the SS.

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio Scapini View Post
          Could you please post the shields you say they are popping up?
          I know until today only a couple of guys had this type of shield.
          They are not popping up from anywhere, only from my friend.
          If you are suspiciuos on a 70 years old finding I think nothing in out collection is fine. Or you think I'm a liar.

Btw: today the number of the patches increased since other boxes were opened and in there were more of all the 3 types.
          Good God Antonio get a hold on yourself who is saying your a liar all I am saying is that I've been receiving e-mails asking me about the shields, which are exactly like yours and that I only like the printed ones period.

Rene Chavez

Comment

Hello,

1. The remark of Altbier is correct, this badge has nothing to do with SS.

2. Antonio showed images of badges found in a box. Greg presented too images of his badge but Rene did not present image. Would he be possible for Rene to present images of the badges which he states ?

3. Antonio, Greg and Rene, you are intelligent people and goods collectors, always interested in a very particular domain of search which I appreciate particularly, can you be more factual in your messages and avoid placed badly remarks ? Do not forget that this forum is for us collectors, to allow us to keep in touch and being able to enhance mutually knowledge of other one

In the pleasure to read you. Cordial greetings of a passionate collector, as you

Polux

Comment

I think with all threads of this nature, when something comes out of the woodwork after many years and it is of a very rare piece of insignia, and in quantity, one sometimes has to be suspect until all details are known. Until Antonia posted images of the reverse of the shield I was suspect of it for those reason just stated. No harm, no foul. We all learn in this hobby no matter how many years we have been doing this. I had never seen or known of the green backed Crimean shield until this time. It was verified by Dave Delich as being the second pattern Crimean shield, with the white backed version the initial release. So I am happy to know that I was wrong and another piece is out there to possibly be added to my collection(Antonio, I sent you a PM). As to questioning the white backed shield I posted, it is evident that other shields were produced in this manner the most obvious is the Fries Indian shield. As for provenance of my Crimean shield, it came out of the George Peterson collection(it is pictured in Littlejohn's Foreign Legions of the 3rd Reich, vol. 4).

Greg
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Domian View Post
                I think with all threads of this nature, when something comes out of the woodwork after many years and it is of a very rare piece of insignia, and in quantity, one sometimes has to be suspect until all details are known. Until Antonia posted images of the reverse of the shield I was suspect of it for those reason just stated. No harm, no foul. We all learn in this hobby no matter how many years we have been doing this. I had never seen or known of the green backed Crimean shield until this time. It was verified by Dave Delich as being the second pattern Crimean shield, with the white backed version the initial release. So I am happy to know that I was wrong and another piece is out there to possibly be added to my collection(Antonio, I sent you a PM). As to questioning the white backed shield I posted, it is evident that other shields were produced in this manner the most obvious is the Fries Indian shield. As for provenance of my Crimean shield, it came out of the George Peterson collection(it is pictured in Littlejohn's Foreign Legions of the 3rd Reich, vol. 4).

Greg
                Hi I agreed with Greg's assessment if the shield was verified by Dave Delich then I am fine with that. I've never indicated that the shields were fake. The e-mails that I've received showed the exact shield that Antonio has and I no longer have the e-mails. Because of my site I get numerous e-mails from collectors wanting opinion on foreign volunteer items. I did asked them to please send me the reverse side of the shield but they never did. I also ask them that I was comfortable with the printed shields that's it nothing else to add.

Rene Chavez

Comment

I found one e-mail name has been remove from this thread per request sorry about that. Other e-mails deleted.

Rene Chavez
                  Last edited by Rene Chavez; 04-22-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Hello,

Greg and Rene, thank you for your messages. As you, I am always very sceptical, when I see arriving so rare and sought badges. Since the number of years when I look for badges and documents relative to the foreign volunteers, I am always very septic but this time I think that it is a very interesting discovery. When the time will allow it, will Antonio, by means of his friend, has to bring more detail on this discovery.

To pursue this article, you will find below, an image of Antonio's badge and an image of a badge of my collection ( Turkistan) for comparison. You will find then an enlargement of Antonio's badge (with Antonio's microscope) which shows that we are in the presence of a badge typically Bevo.

This shield, thus the weaving of this one, is a little bit different from other badges for volunteers because of the absence of a registration of nationality at the top of this badge. Therefore, the zone of blue color was extended and the zone of black color was reduced, modifying so slightly the form of this shield.

Cordial greetings.

Polux
                    Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic shields, Antonio. Those are some very nice and rare volunteer shields - congratulations!

s/f Robert

Comment

Very nice and original shields, great catch!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X