A lucky find: SS Volunteers arm shields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lucky find: SS Volunteers arm shields

Even if we are in 2018 sometimes lucky findings are still possible.

3 weeks ago a friend found in his grandmother's country house some boxes. His grandma told him that during the war there was the german command of the area, and many things were stored in boxes and never opened.
    When he started cleaning the house he starts finding those boxes. He found several arm shields for Heer and SS foreign volunteers, but lots of boxes are still stored...
    Here a picture of just some of the shields found, and what amazed me was the presence of the very rare Crimean Tartar volunteers shield.
    Attached Files

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
    - THE SS TK RING
    - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
    - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
    - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

It certainly is still out there.

Comment

No French LVF BeVo shields?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn MYA-L41 met Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice find can't wait to see more.
        Cheers
        Dave

Comment

Wow!! Crimean Tartar volunteers shields you never come across!

Comment

What an amazing find and so great to share it with us. Can I interpretate what you write that there might be more items to be revealed?

Comment

I am suspect of the Crimean Tarter shield. Look at the color of the backing material between these and the Idal-Ural shield. Idal-Ural shield is more gray/green than the other shield backing which is a green/green. Can we see the back? Also, as far as I know, the Crimean Tarter shield only came with a white background as seen on the Freies Indian. See my example below. Differences in shape also. I only know of one other Crim Tartar in a collection and it also has a white backing. This may of course be fine and a variant of the white backed shield.

Greg
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Domian View Post
                I am suspect of the Crimean Tarter shield. Look at the color of the backing material between these and the Idal-Ural shield. Idal-Ural shield is more gray/green than the other shield backing which is a green/green. Can we see the back? Also, as far as I know, the Crimean Tarter shield only came with a white background as seen on the Freies Indian. See my example below. Differences in shape also. I only know of one other Crim Tartar in a collection and it also has a white backing. This may of course be fine and a variant of the white backed shield.

Greg
                Hi Greg, any provenance on your Tartar Krim shield?
                To be honest you should have more reasons to suspect of your shield than those found here that were closed in a box for 70+ years (at the moment he found 80 printed shield, more than 50 Idel-Ural and around 25 Krimean volunteers).
                First of all for the white backing, because most of the very late war shields in Bevo for volunteers were made on a mid olive/gray base (see below), and borderds are typically made all in the same way (your has no borders from what I see).
                I only saw another and was olive/grey like these. Never seen one with white background like yours before.

Color of the backing is almost the same of the IDAL-URAL shields, but the scan changed a little bit the colors (for example blue in the Krim shield is actually light blue).
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Antonio Scapini; 04-21-2018, 02:39 AM.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
                - THE SS TK RING
                - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
                - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
                - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Hello,

Very interesting discovery, thanks to Antonio to have shared it with the forum.

For me, no problem with the series of badges for Tatar of Crimea. These correspond perfectly to the criteria Bevo. As an example, here is an enlargement of a badge Turkistan. This one shows the same characteristics as the bare series.

Cordial greetings.

Polux
                  Attached Files

Comment

It's already been said but can only agree the crime tarta has all the characteristics I like to see on original bevo shields.
                    Cheers
                    Dave

Comment

They are real and incredibly rare- fantastic find!!

Comment

Fantastic find! Great to see there are still rare treasures out there!

Erik

Comment

I never said it was a fake, just suspect until we saw the back which you did not show initially. As for the white backing, if you are discounting that as a basis for originality then you will have to discount all of the Fries Indien shields which have white backing too. That ain't gonna happen. Up until your find, the only known ones were with white backing so obviously a different run of shields.

Greg

Comment

The Crimean "M" shields are fantastic and the green backing color is fine. Text book BeVo everything. The owner of the discovery must have been excited
                            and you hit the jackpot! Show us the other finds...(more boxes???)

Comment

This is interesting on the BeVo Crimean shield l have been receiving emails from collectors that have this shield. They seem to be popping up, l am suspicious to say the least. I only like the printed shields.

Rene Chavez
                              www.foreignvolunteerlegion.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X