the back
    Attached Files

Comment

re

And considering the answer If i remember wel is mostly also the same
      IMO a nice original one
      sigpicalways seeking = BEVO Cap and breast insignia

Comment

This has been discussed here several times before, so it would be beneficial to do a search of threads. Personally, I would never buy a tropical sleeve eagle sewn to a field grey uniform, but you will have to decide for yourself...John

Comment

re

Originally posted by John M. Donovan
          This has been discussed here several times before, so it would be beneficial to do a search of threads. Personally, I would never buy a tropical sleeve eagle sewn to a field grey uniform, but you will have to decide for yourself...John
          Indeed the eagle is also IMO a tropical one,so it would make no sense that it is on a wool backing attachted

But Gerd has the piece in his hands I think??
          I,m no longer the first one that shout it is a tropical ,because there areseverall people that would say maybe it is a regular grey/white one
          that has some greasing of dirt absorbed

greetings johnny

Comment

John,
            The eagle is unquestionably a tropical one. Look at it now that I've increased the color saturation of the photo, which does not change the colors, only increases what's already there. I've done this before with worn versions of the grey/white eagles and they don't do this. Best, John
            Last edited by InfanterieSammler; 12-17-2006, 11:29 PM.

Comment

re

Originally posted by John M. Donovan
              John,
              The eagle is unquestionably a tropical one. Look at it now that I've increased the color saturation of the photo, which does not change the colors, only increases what's already there. I've done this before with worn versions of the grey/white eagles and they don't do this. Best, John
              Thanks other John
              With Photo-shop???

Comment

Honestly for me the tropical eagle on green doesn't bother me. These eagles were produced early on, and en masse (based on the number that survive) and I doubt the germans would say 'no' to using some stock if they didn't have the 'proper' color in hand. I don't think the germans refferd to these as 'tropical'eagles either, but rather 'camoflaged'.

Now that being said, this would obviously be one of the easier eagle on cloth items to fake, and I would look closely at the wool/nap/sewing before I made a final judgement.
                http://militarycollectorshq.com/

sigpic

Comment

Just a gut feeling, but that wool doesn't look like it was cut 60 years ago. That plus the condition of the wool just bothers me.
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Jerry,
                    I don't think this a 'stock' question. SS sleeve eagles were sewn on at the factory level therefore the appropriate eagle would be available. I think the stock/availability issue would be more of a question if we were talking about an item that needed to be added to the tunic at the depot/company level and this is not the case with sleeve eagles. Secondly, as far as I know there is not a single example of a W-SS uniform with a tropical sleeve eagle in existence. Lastly, there has been a plethora of these tropical eagles on 'cut-off' sleeve material within the last 3/4 years, why hadn't we seen any before this? See the thread below for other examples...Best, John

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59657

Comment

Thanks John,
                      I really respect your opinion, (and until tonight I really haven't given it a lot of thought) and I agree that I have never seen a tunic with one on (as of yet on the few real em tunics that still exist), and that just about every one you see out there on cloth these days is a tropical one, and lately these have multiplied like bunnies...

BUT
                      I do still think that there existed the possibility of it happening. This is not an area of absolutes. I don't think the color was as important to the Germans as getting the eagle on, and silver/off white/greay/beige/tan/yellow are all pretty close when B-17s are unloading on your factory. ( I went and looked and I have 3 in my own collection as an aside, these were purchased at least 10 years ago) so I am keeping an open mind

I also find it interesting that the bevo eagles are the ones I see mostly sewn on cloth, and only a few of the embroidered ones. Obviously one could argue early/late war And yet the pea camo jackets usualy have the embroidered ones on.
                      http://militarycollectorshq.com/

sigpic

Comment

Jerry,
                        I agree that there really are no absolutes, so 'yes' it's possible, but I would say the odds are very, very slim. The same comparison can be made for M-43 caps. How many original field-grey examples have survived with Tropical insignia attached? The was no reason to apply Tropical insignia to the field-grey uniforms, because there was an abundance of the correct insignia. I guess each collector will have to decide for themselves, but as I said I would not own one of these...Best, John

Comment

I wouldnt touch an SS tropical sleeve eagle even unsewn to a piece of cloth. They are every where and while at the SOS I browsed through samples of reproductions offered by Traders of the lost surplus, with a collegue that were absolutely scary of these eagles.Why did GIs seem to cut off so many tropical eagles and not more of the embroidered types? I agree with John that its highly unlikely.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X