SS sleeve eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS sleeve eagle

Just picked this up. Looks good. Cut from the tunic. Let me know your opinions. Thanks Ed

Reverse

Stitching looks good

Comment

re

Hello Ed the eagle is IMO 100% original
      but I ,m sure that the background (the green woll) isn,t war-time applied
      because this is a tropical eagle
      and they are very very radom seen on the field-grey uniform
      I also dont like the stitching
      sigpicalways seeking = BEVO Cap and breast insignia

Comment

Sleeve eagle

Does the stitching look modern? Why would somebody do that to a good sleeve eagle ? Thanks for your opinion, Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Tainton
          Does the stitching look modern? Why would somebody do that to a good sleeve eagle ? Thanks for your opinion, Ed
          Hello Ed to make more money
          sigpicalways seeking = BEVO Cap and breast insignia

Comment

Sleeve eagle

John , I understand what your saying (the eagle is good but tropical, sewn on the wrong cloth purpously) Could you estimate what it is worth as the seller is willing to negotiate or refund . He is being honest about it. Thanks for your input. This may swear me off SS items.

Comment

If it helps any Ed, I was very interested in buying this eagle too. You just beat me to it.

I have a couple of uncut bevo tropical SS eagles; I paid $85 for one off the E-stand here, and $67 for the other from von Kleist on the Militaria Forum (with shipping in both cases).

Hope this helps,
              John

Comment

Are you sure that's a tropical eagle?

To me, it looks like a nice standard Bevo type - they went a kind of 'dirty fawn' with age.

Could just be the photo, but I don't think that's a tropical one.

Comment

I think I would agree with Robin, it does not look "yellow" enough to be tropical to me? I know it is sometimes hard to tell colours when veiwing an image on a PC screen.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Sleeve eagle

Thanks Adrian & Robin. I took it outside to look at it in bright sunlight, but still can't make up my mind. I have a gut feeling its not the tropical yellow (though I haven't seen one) just a off white yellow from age. Opinions on this are 50/50. Anybody else want to give their opinion ? Would I have bought this after reviewing these opinions? I can't honestly say. The seller is a good friend. I should have posted it before buying. Thanks again. Hope this thread has been helpful to other collecters.

Comment

Bad News

Hello,
                      This eagle is unquestionably a tropical eagle and was sold by Manion's a couple of years ago. When it was on Manion's, it was one of three SS tropical sleeve eagles sewn to a piece of green wool, and of note is that all three where sewn on using the exact same style and thread. I have seen over the last few years no less than 8 SS tropical eagles sewn to a piece of green wool, and again all of them have been sewn in the same style and thread...The idea of a tropical eagle on a field grey tunic is bizarre to begin with, as there were was more than an abundance of the correct silver grey thread eagles, and this was probably pointed out to the owner of this eagle. By falsely aging the eagle it now has the appearance of possibly being a silver-grey example...My advice is leave any of these tropical eagles on green wool alone, they are certainly original eagles, but have been postwar applied...John
                      Last edited by InfanterieSammler; 12-17-2006, 11:29 PM.

Comment

More Bad News

Here are a few more examples from Manions and various other sources...John

Comment

Again

Comment

Again, and again...

Comment

More

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X