Kriegsmarine Leather Coat/ Wittmann Panzer style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickG View Post
    Sweet!!! yes that one, so its actually a 2 pocket, only chest pockets! rare, rare, rare!!!!
    and von Ribbontrop, Peiper and Wittmann all added officers rank shoulderboards + collar insignia to it!
    I've read somewhere ( on WAF ? )
    that the buckram of his collar tabs was removed when they were sewn on his black HBT 2 pocket jacket and it was the reason of their crumpled appearance when this " shirt" was wore under his black leather jacket

Regards

Hohe 112

Comment

Nice pics guys and nice suit

Comment

I remember one of these on N&T a long time ago, it was all trumped up to the 12th SS.....There was also a Leather Wrap, also 12th SS badged, also no idea was that real or not, not likely i imagine....

Comment

Originally posted by ironcross13 View Post
          Thanks for the info, i will pass on this wait for one to come up.
          I did post in the KM section but got in reply so tried here.

The leather coat is known as a Wittmann style leather coat think thats why most people call it that as with out him wearing it would not be as popular with SS collectors
          Please add a link to your post in the KM section.

Comment

Thanks for posting the images of Wittmann. I always assumed he was wearing a black wrapper under the leather. I am happy to have assumed wrong.

I have seen the colorized (looked pretty good) remastered HD footage of the film of him going by in his Tiger1 and the detail is very revealing. The crumpled looking rank collar tab now make sense (as he is NOT wearing a wrapper as previously assumed) as the HD footage REALLY stood out and revealed the tab in clarity, which in its crumpled state makes it appear to have shoulderboard pips instead of tab sized pips. Either that is the case, or the crumpled tab make the pips appear the wrong size. Either way, it is fun to discover something new and revealing especially from photos and film we have all seen a multitude of times.

Comment

yes, that's indeed what he is wearing the SS protective flak Jacket. I believe the set Hohe posted is the second model, it lacks the shoulder board loops and pleated and scalloped pockets as found on first model. It was issued with factory applied eagle, any other insignia would have been added by wearer.

Comment

Originally posted by panzerrune View Post
                Either way, it is fun to discover something new and revealing especially from photos and film we have all seen a multitude of times.
                Its known for long time what he wore under the leather jacket...

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                  Its known for long time what he wore under the leather jacket...

True, but newer collectors may not be aware of it, knowledge is always helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott A. Hess View Post
                    I did not know but i did think it did look odd for a Panzer wrap..
                    Good to know

Comment

It also appears from the grainy photo (hard to tell for sure) Wittmann is wearing his throat mics and one can see the wire from it running from his neck area and going to the right of the image. Thanks for the clarification of the flak shirt/jacket. There had been some confusion previously as it being a private purchase by panzer crew men. Now I know it is flak issued and adopted by some panzer crew men... black on black, makes sense.
                      yes, that's indeed what he is wearing the SS protective flak Jacket. I believe the set Hohe posted is the second model, it lacks the shoulder board loops and pleated and scalloped pockets as found on first model. It was issued with factory applied eagle, any other insignia would have been added by wearer.

Comment

Thanks. I have been around the collecting arena since the mid to late 1980's. I just was not aware of what he had under the leather until yesterday. I have been registered here since 2003. It is obvious though I do not post much, I am a reader. Plus I have really been out of collecting for a handful of years. Made my deals in the 80's and 90's and sold most of my collection and kept a few uniform groupings as this really never truly gets out of one's blood.

Comment

It also appears from the grainy photo (hard to tell for sure) Wittmann is wearing his throat mics and one can see the wire from it running from his neck area and going to the right of the image. Thanks for the clarification of the flak shirt/jacket.
                          What foto are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                            What foto are you referring to?
                            It is the photo of Wittmann I believe on page two of this thread. It is the one of him wearing the black FLAK shirt.

Comment

It is the photo of Wittmann I believe on page two of this thread. It is the one of him wearing the black FLAK shirt.
                              Thought so - no idea what the line(s) is, guess just a foto developing error. He does not wear his mics. No need to do so anyway, its easier to leave them in the tank, then to walk around with the long cable, and then (in hurry) have to plug them in again).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,731 at 02:37 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X