SS Pam Tree Smock, Opinions Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Palm Tree Pattern Smock

I can hardly believe what I am hearing! Ouch. My retirement fund is evidently dwindling...

Comment

Seems like more SS Palm smocks to be had than buyers. Yep, who would have thought that these $20K+ 'you got to know someone' rarities, several years later, would be looking on the open market for buyers in the under $10K range.

Say HELLO to the real world of the hobby today.

Comment

smocks

If you are selling a Palm smock , all elastic in excellent condition with a original draw string in a dark pattern or the M.38 (lighter color )style you will raise the price very quickly , the smocks show in this post are really at the low end of the barrel for obvious reasons , A early plane tree first pattern m. 38 style smock , well good luck at any price.

Comment

Originally posted by jimt View Post
          If you are selling a Palm smock , all elastic in excellent condition with a original draw string in a dark pattern or the M.38 (lighter color )style you will raise the price very quickly , the smocks show in this post are really at the low end of the barrel for obvious reasons , A early plane tree first pattern m. 38 style smock , well good luck at any price.

Of course Jim the cream of the crop, the smock with vibrant color, unissued, all the bells and whistles, original string, etc will always fetch much more, however, these ones are as we know few and far between...I guess my point is, the ones being offered for 20-25k last time were not just ones that were void of any issues....I remember hearing..."there are only a dozen or so of thes palm smocks in the world"...obviously not so. I would be perfectly happy with the one for 12K with the vibrant colors despite its flaws..I do like unissued mint, however, this one is really nice...and the price is truly right. For 20-30K I can have an Alfa Romeo 1972 GTV, fully restored in concourse condition, or a rather perfect late 60s Alfa Duetto Spider..I'd rather have the car, and I will in about 3 years. I don't need to liquidate my collection to retire or live, Im there already retired, I would continue to buy even if the prices were much lower and the stuff lost tremendous value. One has to have other hobbys, interests and such, cars, travel this or that, gotta keep perspective.
          Last edited by Scott A. Hess; 03-28-2015, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wags View Post
            Seems like more SS Palm smocks to be had than buyers. Yep, who would have thought that these $20K+ 'you got to know someone' rarities, several years later, would be looking on the open market for buyers in the under $10K range.

Say HELLO to the real world of the hobby today.
            Unfortunately very true! Values are suffering across the board in virtually all aspects of Militaria.
            They are unlikely to start recovering for a long time to come, if ever, and then only in small increments.
            WW2 is long gone and is rapidly losing its primary collector base.

CB

Comment

The "Greatest Generation" will soon be gone, and so to will those who grew up with the hobby, spurred by the interest in the history behind it. Most of todays generation, including well educated college kids, don't know Churchill from FDR or Himmler....your kidding yourselves if you think they do, or care. They are endlessly connected to their Iphones, Androids and music, and what's new with Miley Cirus or Snookie..hell most of them think ISIS is a new rock band, does one really expect them to look 70-80 years back in the past
              Historians down the road who write and publish may care, collect, but I do believe the hey day as they say of our hobby is winding done, in a state of ever increasing decline.

Comment

smocks

A mint smock, all elastic perfect, original drawstring, darker colors , M.40 pattern .
                Attached Files

Comment

smock cont..

A final side view ..
                  Last edited by jimt; 03-29-2015, 06:38 AM. Reason: not needed

Comment

some hope

The "Greatest Generation" will soon be gone, and so to will those who grew up with the hobby, spurred by the interest in the history behind it. Most of todays generation, including well educated college kids, don't know Churchill from FDR or Himmler....your kidding yourselves if you think they do, or care. They are endlessly connected to their Iphones, Androids and music, and what's new with Miley Cirus or Snookie..hell most of them think ISIS is a new rock band, does one really expect them to look 70-80 years back in the past
                    Historians down the road who write and publish may care, collect, but I do believe the hey day as they say of our hobby is winding done, in a state of ever increasing decline.

You might be correct, but civil war artifacts still remain in great demand, so there still may be some hope for our segment of the hobby

jawes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X