SS Pam Tree Smock, Opinions Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Pam Tree Smock, Opinions Please?

I am posting some photos taken in daylight, of what might be an original Palm Tree pattern smock, please see below. I also show a recent SMW smock folded in half, to show how the Palm Tree sleeves have been shortened (to remove the elasticized portions). The waist elastic is also gone, if it was ever there. The colours are quite bright, no fading. There are a couple of small spots on the seam that would have enclosed the waistband, where the ink either missed getting applied, or maybe something happened afterward (bleach spotting?).

The Pam Tree smock is printed on a lightweight material, slightly lighter in texture than the SMW one, shown underneath. The size can can seen in the photos (note the smock was folded in half to get a measurement to the cuff - so multiplying that by two, I get the cuff-to-cuff width of about 66 inches, versus about 80 in for the one by SMW). The back length from bottom hem to collar back is about 32.5 inches.

I note that the thread used is a dark grey cotton thread (no glow under black light) and they used a single stitch sewing machine. The tailor was not very good, as can be seen by the mistakes and wandering of the stitching.

Thanks to the owner, for permission to post these photos. Also, many thanks for your thoughts on this piece.
    Attached Files

SS Palm Tree Pattern Smock

More photos...
    Attached Files

Comment

More photos, (woops, I said the SMW smock was underneath, it is actually on top here)!
      Attached Files

Comment

More photos.
        Attached Files

Comment

More photos still...
          Attached Files

Comment

More photos, here taken of the seam at the elbow...
            Attached Files

Comment

Photos of the fabric tube enclosing the elasticized waistband (absent), Note the spot where the printer's ink missed (or maybe a spot of bleach landed?)
              Attached Files

Comment

I believe that the neck-closure string is probably post-war.

Comment

Originally posted by Soldat1940 View Post
                  I am posting some photos taken in daylight, of what might be an original Palm Tree pattern smock.
                  it IS an original smock

Comment

It's a one look original

Owen

Comment

Thanks guys. I was told it was authentic. Just wanted to check before I make an offer.

Comment

Do the shortened sleeves affect the value? One of the slash pocket stitching is also a little torn, but that could be fixed, as I have the correct original thread. Then I would just need to find an original neck string.

Comment

Shortened sleeves should effect the value IMO quite a bit, but the tear is not a big deal. The original string is hard to find and pretty expensive, I saw one on a dealer site for $500 year or so ago.

Comment

What vrange in value would you put on the smock as-is?

Comment

Up to you. It is strange times. At the last HH auctions they didn't go for 1/3 they used to

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X