SS sleeve Eagle good or bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS sleeve Eagle good or bad

Hello I would like to know if this SS sleeve Eagle is good . It is supposed to be an unissued. Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files

Late war original.

Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Thank you much appreciated…

Comment

Not a fan of it
        Last edited by STLMatt; 03-20-2015, 01:01 PM.

Comment

This type of eagle are thos found on the large uncut sheets. There has always been debate of the authenticity of these, but they seem to be accepted by most collectors of SS cloth. There seems to be a large influx of these eagles, in the last year and this gives pause to some, if not many, collectors.

I have never added one of these to my collection because of the weak details and often misshapen upper wings at the juncture if the body. This is a personal opinion only.

If anyone has any true knowledge of these from documented vet acquired groupings, i would love to know the details. In my many years if tracking US 45th Infantry Division veterans, I have never seen a sheet of eagles come from Dachau. Those I have found were of better quality and were bundled in groups of 10 eagles, after being die cut from the wool base.

Bob Hritz
          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by STLMatt View Post
            Not a fan of it
            Me Neither ...
            I too don't have in in my collection either
            Because of the reasons mentioned by Bob
            Regards
            David

Comment

I believe its a real eagle - but as said a bit boring. Never included one in my collection either.
              What worries me more is how often this kind of eagle turns up on SS tunics. Of course most of the times an indicator of a rebadged tunic.

//Felix

Comment

Sheets that look like this???
                Someone has an expensive embroidery machine somewhere
                Attached Files

Comment

Isn't that the sheet Giel had at the SOS??

The eagle at the beginning of this Thread is identical to those on that sheet (beak is very distinctive on these).

Is there serious doubt about their originality? I think this Thread should end that discussion: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ighlight=uncut

Comment

Yeah they had it for sale for like 25k. I got a picture with it!!

Comment

Well by looking at the sheet, there is a full,line of Eagles that have been cut thru.
                      Top and bottom.
                      Are we led to believe that original Third a Reich era "sheets" we're cut down the middle of a row of Eagles??
                      Was there a machine, in that era that could stitch perfectly even rows like this?
                      Wouldn't the sheet be worth a lot more still intact, as opposed to cutting them out individually??
                      Some things just don't add up

Comment

It is hard to say how big this sheet was originally, but I remember when I looked at it at the SOS my impression was that it was once part of a larger sheet that had been sectioned into probably smaller pieces, hence the eagles that had been cut through.

I have seen sheets of embroidered KM eagles and there is usually a 1" space between the upper edge of the wings on the top row of eagles and the edge of the material. I assume that would have been the case here as well, but when this was cut there was probably no consideration given to screwing up one whole row of eagles.

Yes, there were looms that could stitch perfect rows of repeat identical patterns. There are plenty of surviving examples of rolls of Bevo insignia that show this as well as what you are seeing here.

Value is relative. Would this be worth more intact? Yeah, probably, but do you have $25,000 to purchase it and use it as a backdrop for a Waffen-SS Dot-pattern tunic? Personally I'd rather spend that kind of money and buy an Army Flag or Standard. If the idea is to break this up into either individual eagles, or small groups of eagles and the price is fair then I see no problem with it. More than likely that will be a matter of necessity on who ends up with it.

I personally have no problem with these eagles and think that sheet looks righteous. I wouldn't mind having a few of these in a small group for myself.

Well by looking at the sheet, there is a full,line of Eagles that have been cut thru.
                        Top and bottom.
                        Are we led to believe that original Third a Reich era "sheets" we're cut down the middle of a row of Eagles??
                        Was there a machine, in that era that could stitch perfectly even rows like this?
                        Wouldn't the sheet be worth a lot more still intact, as opposed to cutting them out individually??
                        Some things just don't add up

Comment

To take this "sheet" and cut it up, to sell them at 160 each is beyond ridiculous, and shows you the real value.
                          There are plenty of collectors out there, that if they were "real" or "desirable" would frame the whole sheet, and leave it intact.
                          So to take an authentic piece of valuable history, and put your scissors to them, shows you the real value. IMO

Comment

I'm confused?? Where did the $160 come from?

Are you suggesting that if somebody separated these out individually they'd be doing it because they think they are fake and are trying to blow them out at a low price to entice unsuspecting or novice collectors?

From what I have read of your posts you have a strange way of looking at things.

And to try to get through to you one more time - these eagles are 100% original.

To take this "sheet" and cut it up, to sell them at 160 each is beyond ridiculous, and shows you the real value.
                            There are plenty of collectors out there, that if they were "real" or "desirable" would frame the whole sheet, and leave it intact.
                            So to take an authentic piece of valuable history, and put your scissors to them, shows you the real value. IMO

Comment

160 is the price they were offered at. And yes the sheet would be more valuable if it were all intact.
                              The same way as 3 sleeve Eagles on the same roll, cost more than 3 separate Eagles cut from the same roll.
                              You can go ahead and believe they are real. That's fine, I'm not trying to talk you into anything.
                              I'll save my money.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X