No announcement yet.

Tropical SS Sahariana Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice displays guys. Would be delighted to see more.

-Ray-

Comment

Originally posted by -Ray- View Post
      Agree, I had to settle for the poor man's option with an extra tropical helmet for mine. Compatible so nothing the matter with that.

Nice tunic you have.

-Ray-
      Thanks Ray.
      Good idea. I could use this one for a torso although i have it for my DAK displays.
      Attached Files
      sigpicLooking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Comment

Nice jacket, my friend!
        You will soon have every branch in your collection!

Comment

These tunics were also worn by Luftwaffe etc, so not typical SS IMO.

Jos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jos L C View Post
            These tunics were also worn by Luftwaffe etc, so not typical SS IMO.

Jos.
            im sure the are,some are made by well know SS contract makers,and yes i have seen some of them in luft use on period photos,but from another site i have seen WH & Luft troops with SS camo .

Comment

I don't think that SS contractors did provide stuff to Luftwaffe pilots, which also wore these tunics, so we can't call it a specific SS jacket IMO, unless there is evidence of a sleeve eagle etc ..
              just a observation ..

Jos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jos L C View Post
                I don't think that SS contractors did provide stuff to Luftwaffe pilots, which also wore these tunics, so we can't call it a specific SS jacket IMO, unless there is evidence of a sleeve eagle etc ..
                just a observation ..

Jos.
                here is a chance that luft troops get them from SS depots the same way as some polizei units,the major question is did you Sir has seen some of this tunic with factory sewn Luft eagles? i have seen this sahariana styl tunic with SS eagles sewn at factory and so far never seen on stripped with a shadow of luft or other eagle as SS.

Comment

The difference to me between SS and LW, and you can see this in Ray's post off his 3 tropic mannequins, the 2 to the right are LW, but the one on the right is a SS sahariana out fit, as you can see the different cut to the jacket, being that the LW Topical jackets have square cut breast pockets, were as the V type breast pockets, and on the back of the jacket, plus their trousers are also totally different to the Sahariana trousers.

Sorry if I miss understood what Jos was saying, Alfred my Sahariana jacket was a unissued or unused with its factory sleeve eagle strip off, and the outlined of the factory one was still there, also as I stated in my post I replaced the eagle, and added all off the insignia's.

Lou
                  Last edited by Lou58; 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM. Reason: added more info

Comment

Originally posted by Lou58 View Post
                    The difference to me between SS and LW, and you can see this in Ray's post off his 3 tropic mannequins, the 2 to the right are LW, but the one on the right is a SS sahariana out fit, as you can see the different cut to the jacket, being that the LW Topical jackets have square cut breast pockets, were as the V type breast pockets, and on the back of the jacket, plus their trousers are also totally different to the Sahariana trousers.

Lou
                    yes ,but Jos is right a bit ,here are some know photos of this SS sahariana used by luftwaffe. buy here are also know photos of LAH in Italy with luftwaffe tropen stuff in use

Comment

and question to Lou,as you have restored your set with TK tabs ,are you sure any of this troops have ever seen this tunics?

Comment

Alfred, yes I can now see what Jos was referring too, To me mix match of different cores in the Military forces using different types of uniforms would be a fact, as I know near the end off the War, German soldiers were grabbing what they could, as i have a Heer HBT (late War) jacket that a SS EM used. So to me this was done.

Lou

Comment

Alfred, I forgot to add my image of a bunch off SS soldiers waring the Sahariana uniform.

Lou

this image I grab off the internet some years back.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Regarding the use of WSS saharianas in the LW , we should not forget they used mostly Italian saharianas and not WSS ?
                            These WSS jackets are actually very similar to Italian ones and could bring also a confusion ?
                            I remember nice close pictures of LW pilots in Afrika wearing them ?
                            I think only the police ( branch of the WSS actually ) and the WSS worn those
                            jackets , or then locally indiviually "captured" by other members of the armed forces ?
                            nick

Comment

Originally posted by Snni View Post
                              Nice jacket, my friend!
                              You will soon have every branch in your collection!
                              Thank you friend

Comment

Interesting discussion about LW wearing Sahariana tunics.
                                If anyone has a period photo showing this, please post.
                                Thanks

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X