SS M44 ? no back seam herringbone lining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS M44 ? no back seam herringbone lining

I saw this online a few weeks ago and just wanted to ask if it makes it a SS M44 tunic with it having no seam on reverse and the typical silk herringbone lining found in many SS M43 tunics. I know the rear seam question has no definative answer but i wondered if it made it more probable with the lining ?
    Attached Files

I have owned Heer m44 tunics with and without rear seam. I would imagine the same for SS. I would not rule out an SS tunic being original just based on that. I would assume that both seamed and seamless would have been made for the ss as well, though I do not have any proof of that. That said m44 tunics are easy to make ss, especially unissued ones.

Comment

The bulk of the Heer M44's I have seen have no rear seam, I agree with galizien41 in his post.

Kevin

Comment

One additional thing i noticed ; no belt supporter holes or adjustment parts in sleeve. Could this be " last ditch production " or Repro ??

Comment

Originally posted by waffen44 View Post
          One additional thing i noticed ; no belt supporter holes or adjustment parts in sleeve. Could this be " last ditch production " or Repro ??
          I have a 45 made Heer M44 without belt supports, this was not uncommon to see in this style tunic. also have seen missing collar closure strap and buttons, missing sleeve adjustment etc... as the war went on corners were cut.

Kevin
          Last edited by WEISNER; 03-07-2014, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Kevin . Thanks for your kind information. I figured the " green patchwork" repairs and lack of pocket flaps would be consummate to a POW usage possibly.

Comment

My late war SS M44 has no back seam, and I agree that it's omission is nothing to be concerned about. It looks like an SS jacket converted for post-war / POW use to me.

regards, Robert

Comment

Right Robert, nothing to worry about. IMO most M44's but not all were made without a back seam. many of the earlier fakes had a back seam, so seeing a seam gives me cause for pause when inspecting one.
                I remember a while back that Glenn posted a very nice M44 with a back seam from his hoard, I also seem to remember seeing a period photo here on the forum showing one with a seam.
                so having a back seam is not the kiss of death, just a rare thing to see IMO on period M44's.

Kev

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X