X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unworn SS camo smock

Hi,
    I'd happily give it a home!
    I had one in this pattern back in the early 1980's but no close-up photos of it to prove its authenticity and it's too late now to worry.
    Very nice indeed!
    Lucky man.
    Grossfuss

Comment

Never seen draw-tie eyelets like those (one looker?), someone got other pics of those type eyelets?

Comment

They are common on hand screened 42 first cuts

Owen

Comment

Originally posted by kammo man View Post
          They are common on hand screened 42 first cuts

Owen
          Exactly, along with the way the loops were sewn on (that single stitch line that connects the "loop sections") and the fully handscreened 1/2 pattern is also very common with this particular variant.

These can more often be found in mint -very good condition than other variants, probably these were taken from some depot or sort of.

Again: There is no doubt it is original (anyhow IMO) and the condition is outstanding. Perfect.

Cheers

Comment

I have heard the mint ones came from the Dachau KZ camp.
            Several were walked into the Portland gun show by a Vet who stated he grabbed unissued jackets from the manufacturing shed before it was burned to the ground intentionally .
            I am sure he was not the only one to do this.

Comment

A number of things (spoken to in this thread) suggests to me a unique manufacturing run (one factory or a trial production run). This being said, I find it hard to believe that a mid-war production line would see so many mint smocks in this style survive in a depot to war's end.

I wonder if a late-war manufacturing factory received early war plane tree camo and then produced these with the obvious differences noted (stitching, eyelets and buttons) and was then overrun before distribution.. or perhaps were sent to Dachau near war's end?

In any case a curious blend of old and new.

Mike

Comment

I told you which camp they came from.

Earlier produced fabric being used later is no manufacturing mystery.

Another example is the 3-4 shown on a thread this week
                Part of the same work lot

I have seen 6 pullovers from the same vet all with these eyelets and black thread

Owen

Comment

OK, time for me to throw in the towel on collecting. I have collected uniforms for over 30 years and have always been under the impression that buttonholes sewn with that rat tail are a sure indicator of post-war/modern production. Is this a feature peculiar to this pattern of smock only, or is this now commonly accepted as a wartime manufacturing characteristic??

Maybe the material is original as is the HBT for the pocket bags, but my gut tells me this smock isn't more than 10 years old.

Based on all of the favorable replies here I guess I'm wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Mike C View Post

I wonder if a late-war manufacturing factory received early war plane tree camo
                    Mike:

Don't confuse an early pattern with an early print, they don't necessarily have to be the same. This pattern was probably printed up to 44. It was not replaced by the overprint patterns, rather backed up by these.

However, I have no doubt the SS stocked printed fabric in order to be able to produce what is needed in a year or so. If you'd make zelts from your fabric right away and stock them you might realize that "now" you'd actually need smocks and not zelts, "too late".

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post
                      ... that buttonholes sewn with that rat tail are a sure indicator of post-war/modern production. Is this a feature peculiar to this pattern of smock only, or is this now commonly accepted as a wartime manufacturing characteristic??

These button holes are all ok with a number of period items.

Cheers

Comment

Someone spotted the marking in the pic with the pocket button ? There is a "933" just left of the button.

Jens

Comment

Originally posted by zbv500 View Post
                          Someone spotted the marking in the pic with the pocket button ? There is a "933" just left of the button.

Jens
                          Yes, likely one of these three digit manufacturer codes.

Comment

Fritz,

Good point on the late war production of "early" plane tree - thanks.

Mike

Comment

Quibbling like this is counterproductive! Meaning, less confidence in your explanation and the acceptance of your information (explanations for that matter are bad, often are accompanied with an apology)… (funny how much chest beating over a simple question), let’s see a picture or two of the same technique elsewhere – I would be interested, all eyes.

Also, “one lookers” don’t generate these contentious comments!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankenland-Dan View Post
                                Quibbling like this is counterproductive! Meaning, less confidence in your explanation and the acceptance of your information (explanations for that matter are bad, often are accompanied with an apology)… (funny how much chest beating over a simple question), let’s see a picture or two of the same technique elsewhere – I would be interested, all eyes.

Also, “one lookers” don’t generate these contentious comments!
                                In the picture below on the top is the smock that started this thread
                                below it is an original Oak-B with the same technique in eyelets
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X