Those "pesky" cultural items: A real SS wedding broach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
    He probably has a better life than you ... knocking up 'SS' 'cultural pieces' in your workshop.

The subject piece is fantastic in the context of what it means to the owner, his family and the circumstances under which it was given.

Ian
    You must be joking.

Nobody is questioning the very personal history of the piece - just the age of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
      He probably has a better life than you ... knocking up 'SS' 'cultural pieces' in your workshop.

The subject piece is fantastic in the context of what it means to the owner, his family and the circumstances under which it was given.

Ian
      I agree with Ian's comments.I know from my parent's what a hard time you have had,i was three months early.It must have been very difficult not having family around for support. Hildegard must have seemed like a god send at the time.
      And to give you her personal photos and the broach rather than her own family speaks volumes to me.
      I don't think it is that important whether pre or post 45,It was a nice gift to recieve.
      The most important thing is your kids survived and i trust are fine and healthy.
      Cheers
      Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by D Davies View Post
        .I know from my parent's what a hard time you have had,i was three months early.It must have been very difficult not having family around for support. Hildegard must have seemed like a god send at the time.
        And to give you her personal photos and the broach rather than her own family speaks volumes to me.
        I don't think it is that important whether pre or post 45,It was a nice gift to recieve.
        The most important thing is your kids survived and i trust are fine and healthy.
        Cheers
        Dave.

agree

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
          Get a life.
          Thanks Ian appreciate it thorsten when you got a min from making ss wooden bowls you can folow me around in me sparky van and see what a real life is

Comment

its a heartwarming story...no doubt and thanks for sharing (a friend of mine went through similar trouble with his 4 month too early daughter..unfortunatley she got infected in this time and has a lifetime eye disability )...
            however , the Thread started with ...."A real SS wedding Broach" ...just sayin:

Comment

Love the design, but not the cosntruction of the brooch itself. Agree with what others said.

Comment

Guys the meaning of this thread was NOT to turn this into a pissing match between members or try and cause controversy. Hildegard gave me the broach & two wedding photos because her own children (from her American husband) had no interest in such items and no inkling to the rich heritage and sense of history inherited from their mother.I would have imagined the broach was a snowflake had she not pointed out the symbolism of the couples represented by the liferunes. She struck me as someone who had kept quiet about her past (like most older Germans) until she encountered someone who was interesyed & sympathetic to her situation. besides her tremendous help with our children I consider myself a better & richer person having had this great woman in my life. Believe me, very few of this war/trophy wives had a pleasant life in loveless marriages with no way to go home.(If they even had a home to return to) I hope in someway my family made here life a little more pleasant as she was loved,cherished, & admired deeply by me,my wife, & 2 daughters.

Comment

I get to look at a lot of jewelry,,,I agree, this piece appears to be postwar manufacture..

17 years? ,,if you'd maybe said 50 years but 1997..

If its some sort of gift to you and/or you like it great, but on appearance alone its not going to pass for wartime...

Comment

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the piece being in any way post war Vet jewelry....i.e. produced by firms that made things catering for such groups?
                    As an example I know the bronze Julleuchter was made postwar,and clay ones too.

I have no idea...just wondering?

Comment

I guess my point was totally lost here. I was given the photos and a broach by the wife of a Waffen SS mann. She explained the symbolism to me. I could care less if she gave it to me yesterday. The broach symbolizes ideas that were very dear to the SS. Forgive me if my title was misleading. I just thought some would enjoy seeing pieces that these old timers ( who are fast disappearing) hold dear to their hearts. gary no need to keep this thread open any longer, please close.
                      Originally posted by Gaspare View Post
                      I get to look at a lot of jewelry,,,I agree, this piece appears to be postwar manufacture..

17 years? ,,if you'd maybe said 50 years but 1997..

If its some sort of gift to you and/or you like it great, but on appearance alone its not going to pass for wartime...

Comment

Hi RD Rygaard,

please reflect on what you have posted:

Originally posted by RD Rygaard View Post

Hildegard & Hans Baumert in the glory days: 1943...
                        Each week a different home health aid would arrive from every corner of the globe: Taiwan,Haiti,Jamaica,Baleese...

The broach symbolizes ideas that were very dear to the SS. ....
                        My personal opinion ? Do not expect that everbody is sharing your thoughts and ideas. When opening a thread, please accept opinions.

Without those "Glory Days" and "ideas dear to the SS" Hidlegard would have most probably spend a long and joyful life TOGEHTER with her husband. And maybe than their children would had more intrest in the heritage.
                        Also I do not see something wrong with Taiwan, Haiti, Baleese..German, America and wherever somebody is comming from.
                        This is an international forum which should avoid to be disrespectful and should stay away from any "political" statements in regard to races.
                        Regards

Christian

Comment

Hi Richard !

I haven't seen anything like this before. An interesting design and nice photos.

Not knowing the fate of a loved one must be extremely difficult...a lifelong hardship for many people from that time.

Best

P

Last edited by Panther; 01-27-2014, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Title of Thread: "Those "pesky" cultural items: A real SS wedding brooch"

Richard:

You should not be offended by the comments made... everyone enjoyed the story... as I did and thanks for sharing, however, you did put in the title of this thread.. "Real SS Wedding Brooch"... so guys commented on the brooch too.

Being that it is likely post war based on the general consensus, do you or anyone else think this brooch resembles or is a copy of one she actually had? She clearly magnetized herself toward a brooch like this for reasons of her past. However, IMO a brooch like this just contained the good memories of a time past for her which she clearly cherished... obviously not the bad and painful memories but the best of times for her.

Anyway, again, thanks for sharing this story with us... as I find it interesting.

Jim

Comment

This is where I draw the line....You can try & find a racist statement here but there is none.... Im a German American,my wife is from Berlin (Spandau) so what is wrong with preferring & finding helpful having a German HHA. As long as I have been on this forum I have only posted & commented in the SS SECTION. My grandfather was in the 16th SS & a POW here in America. I am proud of my grandfather and think that the Waffen SS were the greatest armed forces to ever take the field. I make no secrets of this nor do I make apologies. This is the "SS section" and if you take offense at praise & admiration of said forces then that's your problem not mine.
                              Originally posted by compressore View Post
                              Hi RD Rygaard,

please reflect on what you have posted:

My personal opinion ? Do not expect that everbody is sharing your thoughts and ideas. When opening a thread, please accept opinions.

Without those "Glory Days" and "ideas dear to the SS" Hidlegard would have most probably spend a long and joyful life TOGEHTER with her husband. And maybe than their children would had more intrest in the heritage.
                              Also I do not see something wrong with Taiwan, Haiti, Baleese..German, America and wherever somebody is comming from.
                              This is an international forum which should avoid to be disrespectful and should stay away from any "political" statements in regard to races.
                              Regards

Christian

Comment

Richard
                                I am glad that your daughters are OK and I do like their names!

I am glad you related your story for us. I have been trying to research this subject and appreciate any and all info I can find.

I have never seen this pattern in any period jeweler catalog to-date but it certainly is an interesting one.

Maybe it is the flash but the piece looks modern. The clasp on the back also appears modern. Can you take another without the flash?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X