• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those "pesky" cultural items: A real SS wedding broach

Hildegard & Hans Baumert in the glory days: 1943
    Attached Files

Guys:

I've wanted to post the following piece for the past 5 years but held back because the piece in question has been missing all these years. I didn't want to open a thread (or a can of worms) without all the pieces to the puzzle to lay out before you. Well on Thursday as my wife was going through several boxes still sealed since our move into our house 5 years ago and this lovely relic made itself known once again. Everyone loves a good story so sit back, relax, & enjoy the ride!
    My wife gave me two wonderful daughters, Thora & Skadi, on December 11th 1995. I guess their desire to have yule & meet the Krampus was so strong that they decided to come early: a remarkable 3 1/2 months early!!!!!! (Thora @ 1lb 13oz & Skadi @ 1lb 10 oz ) They were kept in hospital, hooked to every machine & gadget imaginable for the next 3 months till getting close to an "acceptable" discharge weight. Skadi came home 3 mos later at 4 lb 6 oz, Thora 2 weeks later @ 4lb. 11 oz. My wife being from Germany & myself from Texas, we had absolutely ZERO family base or ANY support. One can imagine the difficulty of being totally without any help what so ever with two meek & fragile preemies requiring round the clock monitoring & care. Luckily, the state provided a home health aid 3 days a week, 6 hrs a day, so my wife could do laundry, go shopping, even once in awhile just get some well deserved rest. Each week a different home health aid would arrive from every corner of the globe: Taiwan,Haiti,Jamaica,Baleese, etc until one week we were blessed with an older German woman from Berlin no less! (My wife being from Spandau) Well we had found our match and Hildegard would be with us weekly for the next 3 years. One day I came home from work to find an irate and nervous wife, our HHA had found
    my copy of "Wenn alle brüder schweigen" and "was asking questions" Well I took the time to engage her in conversation to which she volunteered her young husband was a "landser" who went into Russian captivity and never returned. Time went by and she offered that her Hans though surrendering to the Amis was handed over to the ruskies & never returned, Im assuming hans was TK. We spent many good years with Hildegard as her own children were absolutely out of control with drugs, etc. Hildegard became ill with breast cancer and underwent a double mastectomy but continued going downhill. When she could no longer work she would come & stay with our daughters during the day, just to have as much of a normal & comfortable life as possible. In 1999 she lost her battle with cancer & moved onto another journey. Being estranged from her own children, her most prized possessions she left to my family: 2 wedding photos of her & Hans and a wedding broach she insists showed their belief & acceptance into the SS. This braoch is about the size of a 50 cent piece & features 8 "couples" embracing in the form of 2 life runes. Im not sure if anyone has seen this before and any additional info would be appreciated. Sorry for the chapter long story, I just thought a few here on the forum could appreciate the story & the piece. I am a firm believer in her story & this fine piece of jewelry. Regards Richard
    Attached Files

Comment

Ooooooooops dbl posted!

Comment

Wow, nice broach and great story! Having two prematurely born boys, Kyle 2 lbs 15 ozs and Owen 3 lbs 6 ozs I understand what that time was like for you!
        your family must have made a heck of an impression on Hildegard for her to give such a personal and cherished item.
        Thanks for sharing!

Kevin

Comment

Excellent .... Richard I too like the broach
          A great piece of history.
          Regards
          David

Comment

are you all serious or is this a kind of funny thread i dont get
            sorry but this brooch appears brand new ...no german fine jewelers piece here.
            it seems like milled out just last week or so....far far away from germany.

Comment

Have to agree,I like the design with the double life runes, but it isn't silver but looks nickle plated and the pin type is not what you expect on german pre 45 pins...

Comment

why would I lie about something like this? Ive had this broach for at least 17 years.........

Comment

looks like the flash of the camera making it look new, i was hoping the stars were hiding the brooch in wear

Comment

No one said youve been lying Richard...maybe Hildegard did at one point.
                    Its clearly visible that its neither made from silver nor alpacca plated nor bronze or copper etc.... probably kind of nickle plated or chromed lead material like the cheap TR fake awards you can break in two halfs without much power..just by looking mad at them;-). As DMV noticed, the needle system is not german as well. The lines pattern on the back of that piece indicates a modern production too.

Comment

Nickle plated modern piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
                        Nickle plated modern piece.
                        you of all people should not be commenting

richard maybe get some nice shots with natural light the flash is making it hard to tell anything about it fantastic wedding shots though

Comment

Originally posted by beufighter View Post
                          you of all people should not be commenting
                          Get a life.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
                            Get a life.
                            He probably has a better life than you ... knocking up 'SS' 'cultural pieces' in your workshop.

The subject piece is fantastic in the context of what it means to the owner, his family and the circumstances under which it was given.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
                              The subject piece is fantastic in the context of what it means to the owner, his family and the circumstances under which it was given.
                              Ofcourse and not doubting your story Richard, but when looking at the piece on itself it isn't pre '45 made i.m.o....Did Hildegard herself say so? or was that left open?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X