Who Has The Oldest SS Fake ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This question stemmed from a couple of other threads I've been reading. Who has/ or what do you think is, the oldest fake item?? Are there fakes from 1946 brought home by unknowing G.I's? Are there fakes older than 1945? We hear all the time how a SS cap has been in an old collection for 35 years and it turns out to be fake. Or how someones Uncle brought SS collar tabs home from "the war" and they turn out to be fake. So in your experience what is specifically the oldest fake you've seen.

interesting question

This is a really interesting question!
    This is somthing I have no idea about.
    Except for the put together parts daggers made for the G.I.s ,of course.

Comment

Hollywood made fake German uniforms during the war for movies.....

Comment

Daggers were made by some of the original dagger companys for GI's. Field day,plastic handle SA,ect.

Comment

Originally posted by DR DOLCH View Post
          Daggers were made by some of the original dagger companys for GI's. Field day,plastic handle SA,ect.
          i have get on of this few years ,real blade with plastic grip.

Comment

Not to forget about Paul Müller manufacturing his well-known damascus versions of honour swords, daggers and his letter openers - all that after surrender and by order of certain GI´s.

Comment

SS fakes

Most of the common SS stuff was faked in the 1960's and 1970s. I saw lots of fakes in te late 1970's that had been around for awhile. I remember seeing peaked hats and bevo insignia. Uniforms were also faked too, usually Heer uniforms with replaced insignia. The smocks with pockets were faked (I may have had one of tese in 1981). Cuff titles were faked, but these were not so convincing at the time. Bevo cufftitles were done poorly but the RZMs were harder to spot. Same stuff is faked now as then, but now the fakes are higher quality, and the newer collectors can be fooled by some of the older fakes. It was harder tell then because there were not many dealers around and there was a general lack of knowledge. You had to trust your dealer and there was no centralized source of data such as the WAF. I think now the fake filter is too high because only "text book" items are generally accepted and some of the other real "non-text book" items are apt to be incorrectly classified as fake because of newer standards.

Comment

souvinirs made to order

Just so I get this straight.

An SA dagger, made by the same manufacturer, same materials, made post 8 May, 1945, but pre-September, 1945, would be considered fake, right?

Depending on your wording, I suppose you could call it a wartime artifact.

Just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by Chad1 View Post

An SA dagger, made by the same manufacturer, same materials, made post 8 May, 1945, but pre-September, 1945, would be considered fake, right?

Just saying...
                  I would consider it an interesting collectible item. All part of the history of the times.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Chad1 View Post

Just saying...
                    If all component parts are made pre-may 1945,but assembled post-war,,,the item is still authentic,,,as for who can tell that it was assembled after the war ended,,,items assembled post-war with some original parts and newly manufactured parts are obviously,"parts pieces" as in the case of the SA daggers with post-war produced blades and plastic handles,,,,

Comment

It maybe second World war but not Third Reich or 'Nazi'.

Comment

Hi,

if you are into the Pacific War, it is well known that US Marines and Army soldiers were already faking personal japanese flags and other items for their Navy comrades...
                        Therefore it is obvious that fakes were done since the Allies fighted against SS units (Italy and Normandy) in Europe.

See You

Vince

Comment

german awards reproduction made in the early 50's

In the late 80's I've seen a great collection of german awards reproduction made in the early 50's with good original machine and matrix but made with totally crap materials. The owner of this collection (a former French partisan who enroled the French Army for the duration of the war after his hometown was free and soldier in the French occuped zone in Germany ) have collected (liberated) original awards from german war prisonners during his "trip" to Germany ! Unfortunately after the end of the war and being friend with some citizens and receipt of some old real commercial flyers, documentations and price lists as gift, he decided to swap his original collection with them for collecting the same awards but made by only one manufacturer that the locals said they had !
                          The collection was in a wooden display case hanged on his office wall during 30 years and it just when he need cash for his health problems, he decide to sale his collection !
                          The display case opened reveal the total forgery : the front of the insignias was really well made and with nice patina but all the backs are wrongs (pins, hooks and materials not correct) ! Even saying that's total crap, he don't believe us showing the old documentation as proof but if the papers were good one, this manufacturer was not allowed to produce during the war some sort of awards displayed . A great shock for him.

Comment

How about my Totenkopf tab?! Made while the war was still going on
                            Check Life Magazine, August 6, 1945

Attached Files
                            Last edited by Dmv; 01-29-2013, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Back in the 1970's I owned a beautiful Waffen SS panzer officer's visor cap.
                              It had an original period visor, original officer cap cords; and an original set of cap insignia in silver. But the cap itself was put together circa 1950 in Germany for G.I.'s performing occupation duty who wanted souvenirs. I knew that history when I acquired it, but it was really a spectacular looking cap and, at this point in time, wherever it is, it would have about 60 years of age to it. The primary indicator of the fact that it was a put-together piece was the sweat shield. I've often wondered whether that cap was later offered as an original with a missing sweat shield.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X