fakes being posted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Guy's,
    I'll put in my two cents here. I believe that 90% of the stuff at gun shows is fake. I have been going to them for the better part of 30 years now and the stuff keeps getting worse and worse. In the California area there are three guy's who have made a business out of selling fake stuff to fund their purchases of real stuff. One of them also has cases in most of the antique collectives in the northern CA area and I just found out he sends stuff to collectives back east as well. As far as reputables dealers in militaria go, I know of only two in the LA area, one is Wolfe and Hardin, the other is my friend Paul Milbury in Glendale. He however does not have the breadth of knowledge neccessary these days to avoid fakes though he trys very hard. He will however allways return a persons money if the item is found to be not good, and if you are looking for military firearms he is the best one around, extremely knowledgable on those.
    As for militaria shows.... I would guess that the vast majority is real, say 80% just because the level of knowledge of the attendee's is better so the fakers have to be more careful. At last years SOS however, I had two germans set up accross the aisle from me pawning off fake Para Gravity knives. They were good but not that good. I was surprised that people were buying them to be honest. Additionally there were at least two sets of frenchman selling fake crap as well, so even at the best shows the scum are still there.

Cheers
    Gary

Cheers
    Gary

Originally posted by Gary Wood
    This is something that has not really been discussed here (ss forum) shows and opinions on how good shows are or are not.

The few shows I go to in the UK are full with fakes and items I collect are slim on the ground, even the German shows I visited have dropped what do other think?
    cheers,
    Gary

Comment

Originally posted by dhunter93
      You see the same people posting items that are not real, then argue when they get a negative response. Thats what I am writing about.
      You also say that 50% of other items posted here are fake - care to elaborate?

I think you are totally wrong.

This forum has made leaps and bounds in the collecting world educating collectors of the details that one needs to know to be an educated collector. Sure every now and then a collector might argue the fact that their precious purchase is real, but for the most part, if they want to learn, they will.

Of course along they way we get our fair share of members that think they know all there is to know, and arent afraid to tell you so. Personally I think they do more of a disservice to the collecting community than those random collectors who are to stubborn to admit they might have made a costly mistake.

We can only provide the info to them, how they decide to digest it is up to them.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

I think what our new-found colleague dhunter93<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_553387", true); </SCRIPT> is saying is that the same fakes are posted here over and over again. It's one thing making a mistake,it's something completely different having been told you've made a mistake and you still go out and buy the same rubbish again and then throw the toys out of the pram when you're told again that they're fake.

Let's be honest we all know people who hoover up items without even looking at what they are.....T.Wolf over on the GD forum is a classic example,posts entitled "FOUND (enter obvious fake of choice)" and despite being told a dozen times that a certain item is fake he still posts the same $hite over and over again.

There's little excuse today with the excellent photographic reference material available (both on the net and in print) to fall for most of this junk.Dealers are the ones with less excuse than the rest...it is after all their job to know the material in hand.Any dealer who knowingly sells repros as real deserve any public humiliation that follows, and doctoring or tarting up items also falls into that catagory to me.

Cheers,Ian.

Comment

I never wrote 50% of what is on this site is fake. You obviously did not read my posts. If you are going to respond you need to at least try and read what I wrote...........NOW I KNOW WHY FAKES KEEP GITTING POSTED, PEOPLE ONLY READ AND SEE WHAT THEY WANT TO AND IGNORE THE REST.

Originally posted by Mark Schroeder
          You also say that 50% of other items posted here are fake - care to elaborate?

I think you are totally wrong.

This forum has made leaps and bounds in the collecting world educating collectors of the details that one needs to know to be an educated collector. Sure every now and then a collector might argue the fact that their precious purchase is real, but for the most part, if they want to learn, they will.

Of course along they way we get our fair share of members that think they know all there is to know, and arent afraid to tell you so. Personally I think they do more of a disservice to the collecting community than those random collectors who are to stubborn to admit they might have made a costly mistake.

We can only provide the info to them, how they decide to digest it is up to them.

Comment

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS EXACTLY WHAT I AM SAYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Ian Hulley
            I think what our new-found colleague dhunter93<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_553387", true); </SCRIPT> is saying is that the same fakes are posted here over and over again. It's one thing making a mistake,it's something completely different having been told you've made a mistake and you still go out and buy the same rubbish again and then throw the toys out of the pram when you're told again that they're fake.

Let's be honest we all know people who hoover up items without even looking at what they are.....T.Wolf over on the GD forum is a classic example,posts entitled "FOUND (enter obvious fake of choice)" and despite being told a dozen times that a certain item is fake he still posts the same $hite over and over again.

There's little excuse today with the excellent photographic reference material available (both on the net and in print) to fall for most of this junk.Dealers are the ones with less excuse than the rest...it is after all their job to know the material in hand.Any dealer who knowingly sells repros as real deserve any public humiliation that follows, and doctoring or tarting up items also falls into that catagory to me.

Cheers,Ian.

Comment

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS EXACTLY WHAT I AM SAYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              All right dhunter93....now we all understand what you were trying to say

Tony

Comment

Jezus .......

Why didn't he say that in the begining......... ???? David

Comment

I did! Its not my fault people didn't read my posts....I should have said I was in a barn, then everyone would have read it.....

Mayb
                  Originally posted by Stossgruppe3
                  Why didn't he say that in the begining......... ???? David

Comment

I did! Its not my fault people didn't read my posts....I should have said I was in a barn, then everyone would have read it.....

Mayb

Tony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X