fakes being posted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fakes being posted

Why do people keep posting fake items here? Since I have been collecting, almost ALL of the SS items I have seen for sale are fake.( In fact most of the nazi stuff in general is fake). I understand the crooks trying to rip people off, but why post fake stuff here and then get mad when people tell you the truth? There are a lot of things I am still learning, and everyday I learn somthing new, but have you noticed the SS for some reason reason like to BBQ there helmets just around the decals,and ware out there clothing except for the totenkopf and arm eagle? Also the amazing use of clear plastic ( before it was invented )instead of celluloid inside of peaked caps. just some observations from a new collector who it trying to use this site to learn, so I dont get burned

Originally posted by dhunter93
    Why do people keep posting fake items here? Since I have been collecting, almost ALL of the SS items I have seen for sale are fake.( In fact most of the nazi stuff in general is fake). I understand the crooks trying to rip people off, but why post fake stuff here and then get mad when people tell you the truth?
    Explain this part closer please.

Cheers.
    Peter Wiking

Comment

Originally posted by dhunter93
      Why do people keep posting fake items here? Since I have been collecting, almost ALL of the SS items I have seen for sale are fake.( In fact most of the nazi stuff in general is fake). I understand the crooks trying to rip people off, but why post fake stuff here and then get mad when people tell you the truth? There are a lot of things I am still learning, and everyday I learn somthing new, but have you noticed the SS for some reason reason like to BBQ there helmets just around the decals,and ware out there clothing except for the totenkopf and arm eagle? Also the amazing use of clear plastic ( before it was invented )instead of celluloid inside of peaked caps. just some observations from a new collector who it trying to use this site to learn, so I dont get burned
      Welcome dhunter93,

By the way how long have you being collecting? I understand that some people post here in order to find out if a specific item is real or semi-real or just fake. By no means all the ss items that are posted here are fakes.

Dhunter, when you said that "in fact most of the nazi stuff in general is fake"
      how much "most" is? 60%, 70%, 80% could you tell us the % in your own opinion. Or let me put it differently ,what is the % of the fakes that are sold ( in your own opinion) by the good dealers, for example, 3%, 6%, 10%, 30%,......80%, how much?

Regards,
      Tony
      Last edited by TONY Q.W.; 09-01-2004, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Hello dhunter

I think I might have understood where your comment came from. Hot issues and discussions to which you might be refering are a very rare occurance and isolated. Most people in the forum are here to learn and share their knowledge. Our hobby is a very expensive one and most of us will ask for opinions before purchasing something they have a minimal doubt on. We all learned to accept it when we find that something in our collection is a fake. It happened to nearly everyone, not to say everybody, just in case someone was very smart and lucky!!

Most people are very helpful and like anywhere else you do get the odd incident.

Regards

Henri

Comment

Posting Fakes ....... ???

dhunter ........ People don’t use this forum to purposely post fakes, wot would be the point .... ? As Henri has already stated this is a unique hobby and there are a lot of fakes out there, so when you re learning this is a lot to take in so you have to be sure of wot you might be purchasing and not throwing good money after bad.<O></O>

There are a lot of nice items out there if you wish to pay the price, lucky for you...... you have forums like this to fall back on. I never. David<O</O

Comment

I think I did not explain myself clearly, What I am talking about is how often you see items on this site that are clearly fake. Unless there was a great fire that burned only SS helmet decals I would say that most anyone who would post a helmet like this must know it is fake. Also I have seen what appears to be people trying to learn how to fake items by posting them, finding out how experts detect that they are fake and then improve on there item to pass it off as real. Regarding what percentage of items are fake I would say 90% of the SS stuff and 50 % of the rest. I just went to the ventura gun show in CA and almost everything I saw was fake. I am very glad I spent the time and money buying books on how to detect fake items. I am in no way suggesting that this site post's fakes, but is seams like the same people are always posting fake items and then arguing that they are real. We all want to learn, but how many of the items posted would you even want to take a second look at if you saw them in person?

Stossgruppe3] dhunter ........ People don’t use this forum to purposely post fakes, wot would be the point .... ? As Henri has already stated this is a unique hobby and there are a lot of fakes out there, so when you re learning this is a lot to take in so you have to be sure of wot you might be purchasing and not throwing good money after bad.<O></O>

There are a lot of nice items out there if you wish to pay the price, lucky for you...... you have forums like this to fall back on. I never. David<O</O[/QUOTE]

Comment

I have been collecting on and off for about 15 years. I have been to most of the "good dealers" in the los Angeles area and I would say 20% of their stock is fake and at least another 30% is very questionable. I once purchased a fallschirmjaeger tunic from a well known dealer. He guaranteed it was all real and even pulled out his low watt "black light" flashlight to prove it. when I got the tunic home I put is under my 40 watt black light and discovered that it was in fact a pieced together ground crew tunic with fake cloth badges. The only up side was I got my money back.
              By the way how long have you being collecting? I understand that some people post here in order to find out if a specific item is real or semi-real or just fake. By no means all the ss items that are posted here are fakes.

Dhunter, when you said that "in fact most of the nazi stuff in general is fake"
              how much "most" is? 60%, 70%, 80% could you tell us the % in your own opinion. Or let me put it differently ,what is the % of the fakes that are sold ( in your own opinion) by the good dealers, for example, 3%, 6%, 10%, 30%,......80%, how much?

Regards,
              Tony[/QUOTE]

Comment

dhunter93<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_553387", true); </SCRIPT> ,
                it is true there are many fakes out there, after all fakers have been making fakes for 64 years far longer than the originals were made, maybe not in the quantities, I do not know what you are trying to aim for with your comments above, one thing I will say though is that the fakes do make some items seem far more common that there are.

to asses what percentage of fakes get sold by some dealers would be an impossible task to determine as you would have to stock take every dealer in the world
                cheers,
                Gary

Comment

I read that post about the "barn found" SS tunic and a few helmets that were bad and then later seen for sale on ebay. It got me writing.
                  Originally posted by Gary Wood
                  Tony,
                  it is true there are many fakes out there, after all fakers have been making fakes for 64 years far longer than the originals were made, maybe not in the quantities, I do not know what you are trying to aim for with your comments above, one thing I will say though is that the fakes do make some items seem far more common that there are.

to asses what percentage of fakes get sold by some dealers would be an impossible task to determine as you would have to stock take every dealer in the world
                  cheers,
                  Gary

Comment

Wow - what a downer thread....

With all that experience you need to write a book! I've bought SS shoulder boards from Peter Wiking here and an SS buckle that's been favourably commented even by the moderator. Mostly fake huh! That would include the dachau tabs too. (Nope not opening that can of worms, really). I just think you need to get very specific about what you are saying fake about. Speaking in generalities does little to reflect upon your great level of experience that I'm sure we could all benefit from.

Comment

"I read that post about the "barn found" SS tunic and a few helmets that were bad and then later seen for sale on ebay. It got me writing."

dhunter93,
                      I think you will find that barn find was found by a member of the forum on ebay and posted it here for comments,
                      cheers,
                      Gary

Comment

Wow your right, its just amazing how many rare and one off items seam to be available. I guess that all of the more common variations have been burned in that fire with the SS decals. I can see that I have been crushed by your superior leval of knowledge and your witty sarcasm! I thank you for your commentary By the way, please at least TRY to read what I wrote before commenting thanks P.S. I ment 90 % of SS items for sale outside of this site are fake not the items that are posted here as examples.

Originally posted by Dallas
                        With all that experience you need to write a book! I've bought SS shoulder boards from Peter Wiking here and an SS buckle that's been favourably commented even by the moderator. Mostly fake huh! That would include the dachau tabs too. (Nope not opening that can of worms, really). I just think you need to get very specific about what you are saying fake about. Speaking in generalities does little to reflect upon your great level of experience that I'm sure we could all benefit from.
                        Last edited by dhunter93; 09-01-2004, 09:30 PM.

Comment

You see the same people posting items that are not real, then argue when they get a negative response. Thats what I am writing about.
                          Originally posted by Peter Wiking
                          Explain this part closer please.
                          Cheers.
                          Peter Wiking

Comment

(I just went to the ventura gun show in CA and almost everything I saw was fake. I am very glad I spent the time and money buying books on how to detect fake items)

that could be some of the problem a Gun show
                            I know hear you might find a few good things at a Gun show but when i want good and real i do a reglar miltary show
                            Last edited by macki; 09-01-2004, 10:44 PM.

Comment

This is something that has not really been discussed here (ss forum) shows and opinions on how good shows are or are not.

The few shows I go to in the UK are full with fakes and items I collect are slim on the ground, even the German shows I visited have dropped what do other think?
                              cheers,
                              Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X