ScapiniMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion on this "Deutschland" cufftitle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim Toncar View Post
    I really think this is a original cufftitle , band material is real , embroidery is typical of period. If this band was stretched tight the lettering would be more uniform. On these cotton embroidery types letter width can vary considerably. The earlier patterns seem as a rule to be thicker, as to shape I think it falls into accepted guidelines . I believe this one to be a earlier pattern. Another argument to be made is if it was a repro , why use the common "Deutschland" why not "Brandenburg" or Oberbayern or ?? you get where I am going.... I
    jim
    Same thoughts and I have seen original Deutschland cufftitles of much worse quality.

Comment

I really think this is a original cufftitle , band material is real , embroidery is typical of period. If this band was stretched tight the lettering would be more uniform. On these cotton embroidery types letter width can vary considerably. The earlier patterns seem as a rule to be thicker, as to shape I think it falls into accepted guidelines . I believe this one to be a earlier pattern. Another argument to be made is if it was a repro , why use the common "Deutschland" why not "Brandenburg" or Oberbayern or ?? you get where I am going.... I
      jim
      Interesting comparison I have to say. It is good that you raise the question. It does make sense to a certain degree for sure. However I remain sceptic until further evidence has come forward.
      The fact that another Deutschland cuff in this style has yet to be seen weighs in. At least according to my knowledge and IMO. It is true that the band material is real and thats a good sign, as said. But the overdone upper part of the letters and the serifs corresponding is strange. The upper tilted parts of the u and the n is worthy of notation. When comparing to the cuff title you posted Jim T there are some similar traits, but also non similar traits. In the Sachsen cuff the S is in normal style. I also have to say that the particular Sachsen cuff is a bit peculair. Also the shape of the "h" where the over done downstroke and serif almost touches the bow of the "n" part in the "h" is strange. That goes for the rest of the upper parts of the downstrokes of the letters in question. The lower tilt of the lettes in question is also extreme. Note that the lower part tilting in the u is not even uniform. Also the more round shape of the a is strange and more resembles some fakes. Also note that shape of the "D".

So far my opinon remains, that I do not think this is an original cuff title.

Prove me wrong and I would be happy to learn something new. So far however, I remain sceptic.

Cheers
      //Felix

Comment

Felix,
        I have seen and have in my collection perhaps 8 different patterns from different years of this type cufftitle, here are four variations , which one is correct ? I will answer " they all are " I have 4 different patterns of the Braunsweig band alone , look at the letter "G" in Braunschweig its different , so what? that does not make for a argument as to originality ? In the end its what you like , for me I would like this band very much and I think in hand it would be quite convincing .
        jim
        Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting opinions. Now, I am quite unsure. There are other opinions, the light in the dark bring? Regards, Guido

Comment

I agree with Jim ,at the beginnig of this thread my answer was
            -I change it beacuse letters seemed untypical to me, but the base is definitively original,

I think this cuff has a chance to be good....

Comment

Felix,
              I have seen and have in my collection perhaps 8 different patterns from different years of this type cufftitle, here are four variations , which one is correct ? I will answer " they all are " I have 4 different patterns of the Braunsweig band alone , look at the letter "G" in Braunschweig its different , so what? that does not make for a argument as to originality ? In the end its what you like , for me I would like this band very much and I think in hand it would be quite convincing .
              jim
              Jim, I welcome your learned opinion! Always a pleasure to view items from your collection. It is in many ways true what you write and I hesitate to question it. There are not too many references for earlier cuff titles. I do not have the pleasure to enjoy such a vast and splendid collection as you have. I have my reference material and it might not be sufficient to this task. Hence why I reacted to the cuff title in question. My opinion regarding this particular cuff title must be taken in to this consideration and in the context. However my observations in a broader context is somewhat valid. Where are the other Deutschland cuff titles in this style? If you feel this cuff title is original I regard it as good advice.

I must say that I regard your knowledge Jim in a very high way. That bears a lot of respect in the context of what is usually posted on this forum from my point of view.

However if the cuff title in question was offered to me, I would not have bought it. My opinion is firm.

As for the readers of this thread, I think you should take it in to consideration what Mr Toncar has written. My opinion can be neglected (if you wish).

Cheers
              //Felix

Comment

Jim, your photos are a blast.
                In case you sell one of those pls let me know, we can always make a deal at Panera Bread. Coffee is included. So you alway can contact me.

cheers,
                Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Robert H View Post
                  Jim, your photos are a blast.
                  In case you sell one of those pls let me know, we can always make a deal at Panera Bread. Coffee is included. So you alway can contact me.

cheers,
                  Robert
                  I surely hope to see you again in the USA my friend, we miss you at the shows.
                  jim

Comment

I see no problem with the Deutschland cuff title.

Bob Hritz
                    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Thank you very much. I very much appreciate your opinions. Is this Cufftitle a very early version? Can you narrow down the date? Thanks, Guido

Comment

Im sorry to bother you gentlemen, but is there another example of this kind of Deutschland cuff title? It would be nice to see.

Cheers
                        //Felix

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X