Allgemeine SS Visor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with Ben

"A bit bent out of shape and a few loose stitches but looks authentic to me. "

cheers,
    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by ReichsHeini View Post
      Is that front seam off to one side or is this an effect of the photograph?
      There is an internal metal band around the crown that has either shifted or has kinked in one spot. The seam is on-center, but the "peak" of the hat is a bit off-center. (My camera seems to have a problem photographing ultra-black and ultra-white objects.)

The stiffening (cardboard?) behind the sweatband feels like it is broken or creased, consistent with the hat getting smashed flat at one time. You can see that on the outside as lumps.

I have a "just out of the box" photo of the liner, with bits of disintegrated cork lying in it. The old cork has since been replaced. I think the stiffness of the new cork is what is holding the hat together right now, shape-wise.

Now that the repro insignia has been removed, the new cork is the main enhancement from "as found" condition. Also, the lining stitching was disturbed when the insignia was replaced (while the hat was being re-blocked), and a few stitches were re-done at one end of the visor.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by checkit View Post

There is an internal metal band around the crown that has either shifted or has kinked in one spot. The seam is on-center, but the "peak" of the hat is a bit off-center. (My camera seems to have a problem photographing ultra-black and ultra-white objects.)

The stiffening (cardboard?) behind the sweatband feels like it is broken or creased, consistent with the hat getting smashed flat at one time. You can see that on the outside as lumps.

I have a "just out of the box" photo of the liner, with bits of disintegrated cork lying in it. The old cork has since been replaced. I think the stiffness of the new cork is what is holding the hat together right now, shape-wise.

Now that the repro insignia has been removed, the new cork is the main enhancement from "as found" condition. Also, the lining stitching was disturbed when the insignia was replaced (while the hat was being re-blocked), and a few stitches were re-done at one end of the visor.
        The internal cord could lost the original position and give strange form to the cap: it's very very difficult to put it in the original place.

Check it with finger.

For my experience the evidence of irregular center of peak it's not a real problem
        Recently i bought a SS visor with a horrible form given by previous owner (not the seller) who put inside the cap, in a crude manner, a oversized cord of another cap. Removed it the cap gain in 15 minutes it's original form and shape.

About camera: don't worry it's the problem of all collectors make good pictures with allg items.

Also cardboard is not a problem, it could be easily broken. The frontal form of the cardboard it familiar and seen in other visors... moreover when the cardboard it's broke or very crimped on both sides.

Generally i look this visor but needs an hand inspection to check the little wartime restorations

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. I did manage to get the hat. Although I can't afford to keep it, it is nice to have one for a while.

Comment

Any chance out of curiosity can we see photos of the repro insignia for the hell of it. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis S View Post
              Any chance out of curiosity can we see photos of the repro insignia for the hell of it. Thanks
              Here are the offending items:
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X