A-SS Oberführer Otto Schwab's Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are we looking at?

Just by comparing the two visable breast pockets of the two Allgemeine SS tunics thankfully shared by Peter in his comment 84 I see quite some differences - differences of size and the way they are sewed and that´s because they were handmade by two different tailors, and probably from slightly different material as well.

Who can really expect anything else by comparing period items?

Their outward appearance and consistency of material just cannot be looked at the same way as we look at period EK´s, IAB´s, daggers and any other machine made piece of period mass production and even in that field there are quite some differences in regards to the mentioned factors that come into play and have to be taken into account.

Yes, to some degree tunics were also mass production pieces but the whole "put together" was done by skillful hands and the way these hands did the job - even if it theoretically would have always been done by only one and the same person - these hands developed, were (had to be) faster or slower due to circumstances of time and had to deal with different degrees of quality in regards to the used materials over the years as well.

In fact there were thousands of tailors making them anyway.

The only way we can narrow it down to some degree is the fact that black Allgemeine SS tunics were not made through the whole period means wartime - although there might have been exceptions.

Comment

Pocket flaps aside, what really has me interested is the variation of cut on lapels and collars. Even though the RZM made specifications for the cut of tunics, there are very large variations of collar and lapel shapes. I wonder if changing civilian fashion of lapel shapes influenced tailors when making black uniforms.

I would love to see a thread on just the collar and lapel variations of black SS tunics.

Bob Hritz
      In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Daj: Do you believe it to be real? It looks good. However some of the experts will chime in and let you know definitively.

Comment

You dont suppose the one in question was an earlier uniform and rather than pay another X# of $ for the new sleeveband he took it off his earlier. Maybe he even sewed it on a newer larger uniform.

Originally posted by chrisutter View Post
          I don't think, on hand of it's biographie, that the promotion to Oberführer
          is april 1 1943, it seems to be rather april the 20th. 1942;

... but of course everybody is going to say that nobody was wearing the black uniform anymore at this time...

I'm not sure about that, as they are some pics prooving the contrary and,
          why should Schwaab not have upgraded his black tunic at this time, even if this remains most of the time in his wardrobe ?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X