General Seyffard and de Ruyter cuff titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D Davies View Post
    What is being worn under the sleeve eagle.I have never seen anything like this used other than a sleeve shield.
    Cheers
    Dave.
    The man depicted here on the 19th of February 1942 is Jaap Snijder van Wissenkerke of the PK-Zug of the Freiwilligen Legion Niederlande. The use of the Dutch flag rather then the sleeve shield seems to have been restricted to the war reporters platoon of the Legion. There are more photographs of Dutch SS war reporters wearing them.

Kind regards,
    Bert Kossen

Comment

Is it my eyes or does it look like the "Frw legion Nederland"-cuff in post 53 is originally a "Frw legion Niederlande"-cuff?
      Looking at the spacing between the N and e I would guess the "i" is missing...???

grss

Btw: great thread!

Comment

Originally posted by bkossen View Post
        The man depicted here on the 19th of February 1942 is Jaap Snijder van Wissenkerke of the PK-Zug of the Freiwilligen Legion Niederlande. The use of the Dutch flag rather then the sleeve shield seems to have been restricted to the war reporters platoon of the Legion. There are more photographs of Dutch SS war reporters wearing them.

Kind regards,
        Bert Kossen
        Thanks Bert
        I just assumed all volunteers would have worn shields,I have never seen the flag before.
        Cheers
        Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by simon View Post
          Awesome thread!

In post 53 the Officer is wearing a "white" bevo officers Landstorm Nederland cuff, which I thought was unique to the Theodore Eicke cuff, or am I seeing it wrong or.... misinformed?

In post 53 again could anyone discern the cuff title the prisoner with medical armband is wearing?

regards
          Simon
          I've tried to ascertain the band but cannot be sure - looks like it should be Landstorm Nederland but as he is a medic, maybe the Sanitats Abteilung - is there a hyphen in there?

In the photo below it looks to be a band with Wiking in the fraktur script which would indicate a member of Gille's staff?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by ton g View Post
            Is it my eyes or does it look like the "Frw legion Nederland"-cuff in post 53 is originally a "Frw legion Niederlande"-cuff?
            Looking at the spacing between the N and e I would guess the "i" is missing...???

grss

Btw: great thread!
            Well spotted! I wonder if he unpicked the "e" at the end of Niederlande as well?

Here's another Frw Legion Neiderlande band unpicked to suit the evolving unit. I placed an untouched one next to it to compare.

Tom
            Attached Files

Comment

This is also one frome the same Harskamp collection foto`s. It looks like a Dutch Dachau produced shield.

It looks a bit, yes. But at the bottem it is different I think.

Comment

Mr. D.F. Pont, NSB- mayor Apeldoorn 17 december 1942

Comment

Dear Jan,

Great pic!!

Thanks.

Rene

Comment

Not mine but for those who missed it. It was/is for sale at http://www.hermann-historica.de/aukt...b=kat68_3R.txt

its a painting of SS-Untersturmführer Olaf Westra.
                    And since it is from the same site maybe the uniform that has been posted on this forum was from him (a spare one?) ?
                    And I don`t know if the last picture is him, but it looks like him .

Comment

Apparently it was ordered (9) to wear the Nederland cufftitle with the ART.RGT.54 on 28-10-1944.
                      And on 28-11-1944 it was ordered (5) again! So they must have been issued.
                      sorry for the big images

Comment

That's important info , thanks for sharing .. !

Comment

Outstanding these documents authorizing the wear of "Nederland"!
                          Artillery would have been a Division asset, so the order to wear the "Nederland" Division cuff title
                          (as opposed to the Regimental cuff titles "De Ruyter" and "Gen.Seyffardt") makes perfect sense.
                          Divisional staff would also wear the parent cuff title of course as that period picture in post #29 showed.
                          (Gothic script "Nederland" cuff title)

Good stuff!

Comment

Great info here! Would like to share this bit of info from a friend of mine. This is his great uncle:

Full name: Fredericus 'Frits' Johannes Antonius Visser

Born at 16-03-1925 in Groningen, the Netherlands.
                            MIA 3-02-1944 somewhere on the eastern front. (probably during the Ruckzug from Oranienbaum towards Narva)

According to a letter from 21-01-1944, at that time he was a Sturmmann serving in SS-Frw.Pz.Gr.Regiment 48 "General Seyffardt".

His Feldpost nr. : 42278D

This picture must have been taken between 30-07-1942 and 3-02-1944. As the original picture shows, the collar tab has been made black, but it appears to be a horizontal Wolfsangel. The horizontal wolfsangel on the coloured picture has been photoshopped, so don't pay too much attention to incorrect shape/size

Just before he got MIA he was promoted to Rottenfuehrer (3.kp/48.Rgt. ''General Seyffardt''.)

Anyone who knows in which specific area Seyffardt was active during late january/early february 1944? Thanks!

Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for showing that nice photo.Seyyffardt was during that time involved in the heavy fightings around the bridgehead Popovka at the north side of Narwa.According the war diary they had a lot of losses...probably was he one of them !

Send you a pm

Etienne

Comment

Excellent photo , thanks for posting it

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X