build a frankenstein question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
    Sounds like a challenge, fun. It will divert me from my reality of sitting in a basement with a collection consisting of a ryker mount of May day tinnies and two helmets. Here is one of my Frankenstein projects-

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=326060
    Johny, you cannot download pics of the web and pretend it is yours. Just show the Tinnies and the two restored helmets and please don't work on your pc just wearing your underpants. Jacques

Comment

Johnny, I agree with your points and think that the examples you have posted are true restorations and not humped-up Frankenstein crap like what other people have showed. I do believe that adding insignia that was never there to a jacket is essentially damaging a historical object and wish that those with such inclinations could just stick to reproductions to fulfill their fantasy needs.

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
        Johny, you cannot download pics of the web and pretend it is yours. Just show the Tinnies and the two restored helmets and please don't work on your pc just wearing your underpants. Jacques
        It all started for me when I bought this book, it doubles as a door stop too on windy days and is really handy.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pittman View Post
          Johnny, I agree with your points and think that the examples you have posted are true restorations and not humped-up Frankenstein crap like what other people have showed. I do believe that adding insignia that was never there to a jacket is essentially damaging a historical object and wish that those with such inclinations could just stick to reproductions to fulfill their fantasy needs.
          Thanks Chris it is a lot of work but the "higher ground", I loan stuff to museums and public renvues and worked in professional conservation with archaeology. I could not do it another way. This is another one in process that was a mess and had been restored as an officer but the ghosts showed it was a Nebel Spiess. The collar tabs are reproductions so it is not completed yet. It is a bit ratty but all original and very rare. Worth the effort.
          Attached Files

Comment

It all started for me when I bought this book, it doubles as a door stop too on windy days and is really handy.
            At least you are wearing clothes this time. You need more than that book (show your Tinnie collection) to interact with the top collectors here on the forum. Jacques

Comment

My favorite
              Attached Files

Comment

Here is the ghost clearly showing the rub of the shell in bullion on the sleeve and the "pistons". The tabs were tacked on with poly thread and the cuffs had to be opened and then resewn after the original Tresse was reapplied. All i need are the tabs. I have one loose one but prefer a set if anyone has one.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                  At least you are wearing clothes this time. You need more than that book (show your Tinnie collection) to interact with the top collectors here on the forum. Jacques
                  I try to live as much of my life in boxers and pajamas as possible but this time of year it gets more challenging. I am aging my tinnie collection in a rock tumbler today. I posted some tunics instead.

Comment

Restoring tunic means returning to its original look,everything else is not restoring its a fantasy.

striped tunic is most boring thing ever,for me personally better not to have it at all or at least make it how it was possibly looking in the past.

Comment

The most rewarding thing for me is taking something else that was abused and restored poorly or embellished like the SS tunic I posted and "fixing" it. Altering things to me is like adding paint to an original Monet etc. "because it is not blue enough" etc.

Comment

Now to me it represents a professionally restored example of a typical Jr. Officers Wartime tunic in an correct historical configuration. It took a year and several friends to get it right with the matching insignia etc.
                        I am disappointed to be honest Johnny no untouched examples? and how did you know that this frankenstein tunic you created has been in this configuration during the war time? I mean why SS tab and not TK for example, or why SS-Obersturmführer and how did you know it had Obersturmführer tab rank originally?
                        Interesting and funny people who make frankenstein tunics hate frankenstein tunics most !

Comment

You do great work Johnny. That Waffen SS artillery tunic is spectacular!
                          Nice waffenrock projects too!
                          I am restoring a waffenrock myself (pionier).

As you are a restorer with good ethics (no doubt your archeological back ground comes in play here), I have a question:

Here's my dilemma:
                          My stripped waffenrock has ghosts of collar tresse for an NCO but also has ghosts of a gefreiter winkel...
                          Its not a private purchase one, its a government issue one...
                          So was it a promotion? or was it simply stripped and recycled/reissued to a lower ranking corporal?
                          are both scenarios possible? I was going to restore it with a sleeve chevron as that's a lot easier to do!!!

Btw I'm a low end collector with budget restrictions, so I am not seeking mint pieces, not bothered by the challenge of restoration projects...
                          but that edelweiss on the windjacke was added because of a ghost...the Handschar MP is a total creation of course and as there
                          was absolutely no way telling what was on it, I ask: why not? That's my view and I have received several positive PM's already supporting my approach!

Anyway back to my Waffenrock dilemma... Thoughts?
                          Last edited by NickG; 12-20-2011, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks, he probably was just promoted up and the ghost is from earlier. That would be normal to see. The tresse is very difficult to apply with machine sewing to the collar and cuffs but there are people who can do it with stronger commercial machines.

Comment

"He vould have an enormous schwanzstucker!"

Comment

Originally posted by A c h t u n g ! View Post
                                I am disappointed to be honest Johnny no untouched examples? and how did you know that this frankenstein tunic you created has been in this configuration during the war time? I mean why SS tab and not TK for example, or why SS-Obersturmführer and how did you know it had Obersturmführer tab rank originally?
                                Interesting and funny people who make frankenstein tunics hate frankenstein tunics most !
                                I am not even going to respond directly. By your own hand you have portrayed yourself, your attitude, and your ignorance to the Forum at a level I could not even hope to match nor would attempt.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X