Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N cyphers

Originally posted by SJP View Post
    Robert, I thought they looked die stamped. There is a excellent generation of die cast cyphers out (LAH) which share some traits as yours.
    Thanks for posting them.
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    Cheers Steve
    Hi Steve,

If you entertain a doubt about these cyphers is it because of the 'thickness' of the walls and the material? Should be cupal if die-struck?

Talking about bronze colour, have a look at the prongs of these "D"-cyphers. That's why I have a doubt about the colour of the Nordland cyphers.

Cheers
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Excelsior View Post
      Talking about bronze colour, have a look at the prongs of these "D"-cyphers. That's why I have a doubt about the colour of the Nordland cyphers.
      IMO these are too early to compare them to these N cyphers, different material, natural finish etc., better use the latin D type of ca. 1940 origin for instance as a comparandum.

Nice set btw..

Cheers
      Last edited by Fritz; 10-02-2011, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Robert, I agree w/ the pin arangement. Can you post photo's of the areas indicated?

I'm nuetral at this point, they do look stamped but.....

Those are nice cypher's "E" that you posted.
        __________________________________________________ ________
        Cheers Steve
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Steve,
          those flaws (to the front) you will find on originals, so that's not a concern (anyhow not to me, for whatever that means.).

Robert,
          I took meassurements again: exactly 18 x 15mm (that is the "top" at the widest point as the bottom of that "N", due to the font used, is more narrow).

When the cypher lies on the table as it does here please take one picture of the then vertical part of the cypher's top and of its left side (again of what then is vertical).

Cheers

Comment

Nordland Officer Cyphers

Hi, Here is a photo of the back of my Nordland Officer's Cyphers. I got them from Bill Shea who was disposing of some of Michael Beaver's collection, for what it is worth. The dimentions are the same, but the prong is longer and thinner, more like the prongs in my other cyphers.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Michael, Thanks for note.....I view die flaws as a "slippery slope" As for demensions
              I am more inclined to see some variation considering the time frame they could have been made.

Robert ,Do you own these or are you considering them to buy?

Allan ,Can you show the front side?

Comment

Steve, these are definately die stamped; there is no doubt in hand. The sheet metal sides are thin, and I don't think I can zoom in any more on the cyphers than I have. The die flaws or material residue you pointed out is definately there, but not casting leftovers. I got them with some other items, so I own them.

Alan, thanks very much for putting yours up for comparison. The wires on yours do look slightly thinner than mine. Interesting that they are exactly the same bronze finish.

Fritz, when measured from the widest point, it is still a shade under 15mm, but a solid 18mm top to bottom. I don't think the photo attached that you wanted to illustrate the view you'd like to see, but I'm be happy to take the pictures and post them.

Comment

Nordland Cyphers Front

As requested, here is a photo of the front of my Nordland Officer Cyphers
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice looking cyphers; thanks for posting. Are these bronze or silver toned?

regards, Robert

Comment

Nordland Officer Cyphers

Thanks Robert, I would have to say that they are gold.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X